Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I almost pulled the trigger on a Hellcat and decided I would have more fun building up my old Challenger, the plan is as as follows:

Install the Whipple 2.9 on my 5.7 and run that through this year to get some use out of it. (It's under 40K miles) while I build up my 6.4.

Whipple 2.9L Intercooled Supercharger (Tuner Kit) (2011-2016 5.7L Dodge Challenger RT) - WK-300400TB
[Model Year:2011-2014]
[Finish:Black Anodize]
[VIN #:VIN #]
[Catch Can:WP-HEMOSSC - Catch Can]
[Options:No Thank You]
Whipple: 80lb Siemens Deka Short Injector Set - INJ-80S
PG Competition Single Pump 400lph Drop In Fuel System (LX/LC R/T & SRT-8 Cars) - API-BFH-3B
[Engine Size:5.7L 2011-2019]
HHP Level IV Diablosport CMR Email Tuning Package HHPTUNE4
[Choose A Camshaft:Comp Cams 266, 270 or 274 VVT Cam]
[Power Adder:+ Supercharger]
[Select Tune:Stock Short Block]
[Tuning Format:Remote Dyno Tuning Package]
NGK Iridium IX LFR7AIX Spark Plugs (Set of 16) (2009+ 5.7L VVT, 2015+ 6.2L HEMI) - 2309
Dayco Belt Tensioner (2005-2018 HEMI Vehicles) - 89377
Procharger HEMI LX CRANK PINNING KIT 3DEMM-001

I'm running the 274 phaser cam which has a decent profile for an SC, not perfect but not bad either, It has the Wider LSA of 116 longer duration and higher lift on the exhaust.

274:
Int. Duration @ .050: 226
Exh. Duration @ .050: 234
Lift: .619Exh.
Lift: .612Int.
LSA: 116

Next step is the Brembo Brake upgrade. I found a complete setup spindles and all for under $1500. I was surprised to find that!

I found a 6.4 (BGE) for just over 4k with under 10k miles. I will take that and add the drop in pistons Rods going with 11:1 compression. I will then transfer my Whipple from the 5.7 and run the boost around the 10lb range to see where I Iand. I prefer the higher compression lower boost setup. I personally think the efficiencies you get out of higher compression is the way to go.

I will get away from the Phaser 274 cam and go with the hellcat or Demon cam. Those cams are already engineered to perfection (IMO) for the Hemi with boost. I also believe being able to use the full range of the VVT improves performance and drivability.

I will upgrade my clutch at the time of the engine swap. Another reason I want to run my 5.7 a little longer, get a little more use out of that clutch as well. The Tremec for the Challenger is currently rated to handle 650tq, I need to find out if that is the case and gear rating or just the clutch. I'm assuming it's just the clutch since they run these in the hellcats. I don't believe I will go much past 650tq anyway.

And finally the old Getrag rear diff. I have 429 gears right now so I assume I will shred that. I can't find any specs on what those can handle. I don't want to spend 5k on a rear diff so need to figure the last piece of the build. If anyone has any feedback on that it will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
322 Posts
What year is your car? Im in the process of putting brembos on my car. Have the SS lines already, ordered the rotors and pads. Next week when the rotors get here the parts are going on. If my research is correct i should be able to save you a little $$ also.

·
Registered
119 Posts
sounds like a good build.
have you seen the price of Hellcat Redeye/Demon compared to standard Hellcat cam? i'm gathering parts and already have a brand new 6.4 BGE block going to my 5.7 and slap the Maggie i currently have. now need to think really hard if i stay 392 or stroke it. anyways, i went with standard HC cam after seeing the Redeye cam price. Standard HC are making 1Khp so i should be ok with my build.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
293 Posts
Pretty sure the TR6060 in the HC has a different torque rating due to the different ratios. So, don't think the only weak link in your drive train is the clutch.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What year is your car? Im in the process of putting brembos on my car. Have the SS lines already, ordered the rotors and pads. Next week when the rotors get here the parts are going on. If my research is correct i should be able to save you a little $$ also.
2011.. It doesn't look like too daunting of a task. I already have the pressure bleeder/flush system. I'm one of those guys that changes my break fluid every couple of years. If you don't have one of those I recommend it. They make quick easy work of bleeding the brakes. Especially if you want to do it solo.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty sure the TR6060 in the HC has a different torque rating due to the different ratios. So, don't think the only weak link in your drive train is the clutch.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
yeah I I'm not sure if they have made changes to upgrade the case and the gear set. I'll have to dig into that one.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
293 Posts
yeah I I'm not sure if they have made changes to upgrade the case and the gear set. I'll have to dig into that one.
Biggest difference is gear ratios, HC has a 2.26 1st gear while R/T and SP use a 2.97 1st gear. Gear ratios have an impact on torque capacity with a taller ratio typically having a higher capacity.

Doesn't mean there aren't other differences, but I suspect the bulk of the increased torque rating is the gear ratios.

Also doesn't mean an R/T or SP TR6060 won't last behind your motor, only that the factory rating will probably be exceeded.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts