Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery on August 31st. Coming up on 1600 miles on it. Did the remote start walking up to the car in the evening. Thought to myself....strange the passenger yellow marker light is not on when the rest of the lights are on. Burned out bulb, maybe?

Nope. Looking down the front passenger fender well, here is the connector on the light:

And reaching down further, I found this wedged against the underside of the bumper panel:

The frayed ends on the wires makes it look like it was caught on something, yanked hard, and pulled out.

Disappointed. Now I have to fart around with dealer warranty service - ugh. Extra disappointed in myself that I missed this at the time of delivery.

Dealer has to look at it to determine what parts to order. So two trips to the dealer to get this resolved - watching for nice weather days in October. They made a noise about replacing the wiring harness. Not sure about that. I am comfortable with a new plug & a wire splice. I think that would be less invasive than the dealer ripping half the front of the car apart to replace the harness. Recommendations on which way to push the dealer?

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,231 Posts
One would think the damage possibly happened when loading or unloading on the train or auto carrier. Does the lower fascia or air dam indicate any bottoming out? I highly doubt you missed that during the predelivery inspection. In any event.....I’d be satisfied with a repair involving a pigtail connector. I’d not want the entire front end torn apart; that would translate into an open invitation to screw up more than what was being repaired.

Reactions: NoCash

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One would think the damage possibly happened when loading or unloading on the train or auto carrier. Does the lower fascia or air dam indicate any bottoming out? I highly doubt you missed that during the predelivery inspection. In any event.....I’d be satisfied with a repair involving a pigtail connector. I’d not want the entire front end torn apart; that would translate into an open invitation to screw up more than what was being repaired.
Nope, all pristine underneath. My guess...considering how the wire was tucked out of sight... They were installing a front piece of the car and the wire got caught between panels, yanking off the wires, before the plug was attached to the light. Rather than fix it, they put the connector on the bulb and slipped the wire out of the way. I did put tape over the bare wires temporarily to keep them from shorting out.

Yeah, wife's Grand Cherokee went in for a bad fitting seat panel and a bad fitting exterior trim panel. Took them four tries to get the seat panel fixed, and they scratched & bent other pieces while fixing the exterior trim - requiring yet another repair. That's why I am itchy about tearing in to this too much. Frankly if they would send me the plug on a pigtail wire I would be most happy fixing this myself (not to mention skipping the two 60 mile round trips to the dealer). Yes, I am trying a different dealer for this warranty service.

·
Premium Member
10,543 Posts
Dealers don’t splice wires, a new harness is putting it how it was supposed to be.
The warranty doesn’t pay to fix a wire but they do pay to replace a harness. I was through this years ago. I too was willing to just reconnect the break. They flat out refused.

Reactions: BS1970SCAT

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
436 Posts
Nothing to do with build quality. Dealers are whores.
Exactly, dealers get the part for free and paid XYZ hours to install the part. Why would they splice two wires and get paid a few dollars if they could change the whole harness and get hundreds? It is a symbiotic relationship of whom can screw whom who the worst. The Dealer or Dodge? Who is winning? Definitely not us.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Some clueless people here about how things work at the dealership, when it comes to warranty repairs.

Anyway, my suggestion is let the dealership deal with it. A connector repair kit is the most likely fix here, as long as it's available.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Chrysler sells repair splices. I have purchased them before. Done right, it's as good as the original. I wouldn't pull an entire harness to fix that. Body shops splice all the time for collision repairs.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,123 Posts
Is saving the trouble of multiple dealership visits and fix it yourself not an option? That would be my preferred approach, but it’s a new vehicle so I get it if you want them to take care of it

·
Registered
2020 Challenger SP WB - Hellraisin, A8, Plus Pckg, Tech Grp, Driver Conv, Alpine, Sunroof, Spoiler
245 Posts
I agree with the others, splice kit is in order. I definitely would not have them tearing the car apart for that. You know they’re going to do more harm than good if that happens. Do it yourself or pay a non-dealer to do it but I wouldn’t mess with the ”big fix”.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,457 Posts
Exactly, dealers get the part for free and paid XYZ hours to install the part. Why would they splice two wires and get paid a few dollars if they could change the whole harness and get hundreds? It is a symbiotic relationship of whom can screw whom who the worst. The Dealer or Dodge? Who is winning? Definitely not us.
Often the time allowed by the factory for a repair such as this does not reflect reality. Depending upon which harness it can take way longer to replace than the factory allows. The dealer loses money as it still has to pay the tech and the tech is not available for a better paying service or repair.

This is not the dealer's fault but the factory's fault. It puts pressure on the dealers to resist warranty claims as in some (many?) cases they are a money losing effort.

So if a splicing is allowed the dealer will probably go this route.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
A lot of ouch here before being bit. Let a dealer look at it under warranty. They’re not all crooks, and they’ll tell you what course of action to take. Your hardest part may be to convince them this didn’t occur after you took delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good info & suggestions, thanks.

If this is some short wiring harness going to a couple items, I think I will let them replace it. My guess, however, is this is just one little tail on a big spaghetti monster of under hood wiring. I have done engine swaps on late 90's vehicles, and even then the wiring & routing was impossible to duplicate once things were touched. Sure they idiot proof the connectors to only go in one spot, but did the wire run over/under/behind/etc this other thingy? And if it gets put back in the wrong spot, might it rub something and eventually wear a hole, cause a short, etc - yeah, had that happen with one of the swaps I did!

If they get pushy about an invasive repair, I'll walk. It would actually be cheaper, quicker, and easier to get a pigtail myself and just fix it. But that would bait the question....just what is this factory warranty for anyway?

....Your hardest part may be to convince them this didn’t occur after you took delivery.
That is akin to saying I am lying and being deceitful. I would take that personal. Hopefully I won't be put in that situation. I'll cross that bridge if forced on to it, no need to worry about it now.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
But that would bait the question....just what is this factory warranty for anyway?
IMO.....it’s for a large, expensive repair due to a defect in materials and workmanship, with the emphasis on “large, expensive”. If the repair involved removal of the front fascia, I’d almost bet a frog’s fat ass that something would get scratched, scraped, installed incorrectly, misaligned, or otherwise botched.

I personally would source a pigtail from parts, fix it myself, and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
It is probably this harness. If it were my car, I would just want the connector re-pinned and be done with it.

Actually I would probably just do it myself because I do this stuff for a living anyway. The last thing I would want is a mechanic pulling the front of my car apart so they could access and replace the full harness.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I personally would source a pigtail from parts, fix it myself, and be done with it.
So I went to the dealer on Monday. Yup, the wires were yanked off. Thanks for telling me what I knew was obvious. The service writer gave me his questions, fishing for something that I did to cause the problem.... "What have you done to the car since you got it? What did the dealer do?" Etc. Nothing had been touched in this area of the vehicle, so it is obvious this was an assembly line problem.

Anyway, they said they would order a pigtail and let me know. Haven't heard from them yet. I gave him a head's up that with winter rains coming in I would parking the car and taking it off full coverage until spring. And it looks like the Pacific NW weather is due to turn to rain from here on out.

Anyone got a part number or source for a marker light pigtail? I don't need a full wiring harness. I am leaning toward just fixing it myself rather than horsing around any further. May have been a fools errand and waste of my time to go to the dealer in the first place.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
@emichael
If there’s a salvage yard near you, and you can find a Challenger that’s been rear ended or flipped, I’d simply grab one off a wrecked car.

Reactions: Parrott_350
1 - 20 of 26 Posts