• Used Hellcat

Votes: 15 75.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

I've been budgeting for some time to build the motor and supercharge. The closer I get to pulling the trigger the more I consider ditching the car for something newer and stronger. Even toyed with the idea of a used 15 Z06.

I've got a cammed 09' SRT (38k miles) with all the plumbing and suspension, just missing the blower and rotating assembly. Would you build or throw it into a used $50k ish Hellcat? All things considered buying a used high performance car.

Thanks
Robert

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
It all comes down to what are your power goals? Do you want something that's still DD friendly or are you looking to build something that's competitve in drag? If you have the money, as much as I love the Challenger, I would say do the Z06. I know several people with Vettes and they absolutely love them. Plus you'd be going into a lighter platform and be a lot quicker than a Hellcat in stock form.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well enough to buy the blower and all the supporting mods out of pocket, maybe not enough for all the labor and machining etc but a little more time...

I'm definitely a weekend driver, keep it purely on the street kind of guy. My build would actually be very street oriented 426 with Procharger zoning the compressor efficiency for pump gas limits, street tires. No racing beyond Friday night open racing at the track just to stretch it out. You could argue a built SRT might be a little cheaper than a used Hellcat but I can't imagine by much. Granted most hellcats don't stay stock for long.

The Z06 entered the conversation only this past weekend after a test drive, amazing car!!! I definitely have a soft spot for muscle cars, it'll never handle but I knew that from the start.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Well enough to buy the blower and all the supporting mods out of pocket, maybe not enough for all the labor and machining etc but a little more time...

I'm definitely a weekend driver, keep it purely on the street kind of guy. My build would actually be very street oriented 426 with Procharger zoning the compressor efficiency for pump gas limits, street tires. No racing beyond Friday night open racing at the track just to stretch it out. You could argue a built SRT might be a little cheaper than a used Hellcat but I can't imagine by much. Granted most hellcats don't stay stock for long.

The Z06 entered the conversation only this past weekend after a test drive, amazing car!!! I definitely have a soft spot for muscle cars, it'll never handle but I knew that from the start.
I know exactly what you mean lol. When I bought our RT my friends gave me hell for getting a boat, but I love the car to death.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
I'd go with a used Hellcat. $48-53K and done. Great platform to start with right off the bat. Guys are running 10.30's with just a tune, wheels, 3.09 rear end, and drag radials. Pretty hard to beat that while having a big roomy car with useable back seat and trunk.

The Z06 will run 10's as well, but obviously that's a different type of car. Those are great as well, just depends on what you want.

Much easier to just start with a Hellcat, but if you enjoy doing a build and want to have something unique the SRT could be the way to go. But if it were me I'd just get a used low mileage Hellcat and work from there. They'll run high 10's in stock form with just drag radials which is plenty fast as it is too.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
The Hellcat comes with beefed up trans, driveshaft and axles and bigger brakes, oh and adjustable suspension, things most don't seem to add into the cost equation when upgrading the power of a non Hellcat. My 2c.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,142 Posts
Depends what your end goal is.

If you want a 700-800 hp build that will get you into the low 10s, go for a hellcat.

If you want an all out 900-1000+ hp build that will get you into the 9s/8s, build up the SRT. You're going to end up replacing everything anyways even if you had a hellcat.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Kitty kitty....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts