Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could tell dodge what kind of challenger you would buy ,what would it be? A "vanishing point" challenger with correct side view mirror and correct power train? A v10 viper motored challenger? Twin turbos ? An carburetor and 426 cubic inch monster?vinly top and big moldings? How about a barracuda inspired grill and tail lighted car? The new generation matches my 71 pretty close but doesn't have some of those signature pieces we all love/ hate.

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
I would REALLY like an option to get the standard R/T suspension with a 392 engine since I hate lowered suspensions. Don't like the ride quality or the looks or bottoming out when "don't back up" spikes pop up like my 2012 with STP did. I'm waiting on the B5 Blue next year and I will get another R/T 5.7 only because I can't get a 6.4 without STP.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Agree with the above as well.^
Don't know why everyone wants to lower these cars all the time, I like the stock ride height of the R/T, maybe drop the front end only a little to give it more of a classic look.

If I could have anything on a challenger, I would build one very near the 426 drag pak car. A NA 426 motor, fuel injected but cable driven, single or dual plane intake to support a top mounted air cleaner and scoop. Most of the amenities stripped around the car (minus AC because you know, Arizona) to lower weight and clean up the engine compartment. Staggered out rims and tires for that classic weekend dragster look. Some low rear ratio like 4.11 or so, solid rear axle. And then finally, a tasteful outside appearance that showed respect to the Challengers before it but to hide the beast of a car it is (some R/T stripes, matte/satin black T/A style hood etc. just not COVERED in decals like people seem to do now).

This makes me want to go buy more car parts...

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I would REALLY like an option to get the standard R/T suspension with a 392 engine since I hate lowered suspensions. Don't like the ride quality or the looks or bottoming out when "don't back up" spikes pop up like my 2012 with STP did. I'm waiting on the B5 Blue next year and I will get another R/T 5.7 only because I can't get a 6.4 without STP.[/QUOTE

I have to go over those spikes every day driving home from work but my TA, with 1/2" drop, doesn't bottom out at all. How much is yours dropped? This thread is the kind that causes folks to get the mod fever!

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Seems to me that's what aftermarket is all about... making it your own. :)

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
I have to go over those spikes every day driving home from work but my TA, with 1/2" drop, doesn't bottom out at all. How much is yours dropped? This thread is the kind that causes folks to get the mod fever!
Of the five I've had since 2010, only the 2012 R/T-C had STP which lowered it appox 1" from the standard R/T suspension that year. Where I work they have a speed bump with built in spikes and no matter how slow I crawled over it, the spikes would hit the floor pan. If it were just spikes on a level road, I don't think it would have hit but coming off the speed bump and having spikes pop up at the same time did. Plus the ride was too rough for me. I may have noticed it more on that vehicle since I went from a 2010 R/T with the extremely squishy 2008-10 suspension to the revised 2011 lower suspension and STP on top of that.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,781 Posts
I know why they don't do it, but I'd like the ability to add features without having to get a package. Want blind spot monitor? Click the box. Don't make me spend $1100 for a package I don't want, for that one feature. Give me 4 or 5 stereo choices, 4 or 5 wheel choices. Suspension choices, brake choices. Again, I know why they don't, and never will, but being able to build a car the way you want it would be great.

A Guy

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I would like white interior in mine and have the hellcat engine in it and I wish they build cars that a person could work on not a computer car. But that's asking to much Iam old school guy

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
Actually, Dodge did make a Challenger just the way I wanted; my Scat Pack. I like everything about this car. Well, except the auto-dimming rear view mirror (wish it was manually operated).

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
hemib5blue;7704105 I wish they build cars that a person could work on not a computer car.[/QUOTE said:
Not just to work on but for properly functioning accessories too. I was just fuming about computers in cars the other day. Notice how the more computers there are, the slower everything works? When you get into a car that has an interior temp of 130 degrees, you kind of want the A/C to come on right away not have to wait for the gerbils with slide rules in the computer to figure out the engine is running, the switch is set to on, the fan is at the please have mercy on me setting and after you loose three gallons of sweat, it finally starts blowing. In old non computer cars the fan would start blowing when the engine was still cranking. Same with the radio, non computer, instant on. The other day I hit the mute button and the radio kept playing so I hit the button again. A few seconds later the sound goes off then back on again for the two times I hit the button. Nutty slow. Old transmissions, stomp on the gas and it instantly kicks down. Computer transmissions, I need to plan ahead when I pass on a two lane. I usually stomp on the gas a few seconds before oncoming traffic passes. That when when the finally pass, the trans will finally figure out want to downshift. I figure if I ever get in a crash, a while after the car gets towed to the yard, sometime in the dead of night, you will hear a distant "poof" of the air bags going off after the computer committee decides there's been a crash. Computer rant end.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
I know why they don't do it, but I'd like the ability to add features without having to get a package. Want blind spot monitor? Click the box. Don't make me spend $1100 for a package I don't want, for that one feature. Give me 4 or 5 stereo choices, 4 or 5 wheel choices. Suspension choices, brake choices. Again, I know why they don't, and never will, but being able to build a car the way you want it would be great.

A Guy
I suspect we might be around the same age. In other words, old enough to remember and to have been a part of the glory days. :grin2:

In 1970. you had 6 engine choices if you ordered a Challenger. The T/A was limited to the 340, and the R/T was limited to the big blocks. Other than that, you could pretty much pick and choose what you wanted. I remember seeing someone post with a tan colored car with a red interior on another forum. It really wasn't my taste, but someone was sure wanting that combo when he ordered it back then. Why not make any color interior available with any color exterior?? If someone wants to order it and pay for it....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My choice

I guess I would love to see some of the engine choices made available like the v10 and an moster stroked v8. Can you get the car "body in white". With just the shell and maybe a rear ? Something that was not so computer driven that you could swing your older non computerized drive train into. I realize cost drives most of the choices they give us and it must be easy for them to build. A copo car that would allow you to have it built exactly to your desires would be cool but very time consuming as it would probably have to be literally hand built and hence very expensive but would be a nice choice for those that want and can afford it

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would REALLY like an option to get the standard R/T suspension with a 392 engine (...) I'm waiting on the B5 Blue next year and I will get another R/T 5.7 only because I can't get a 6.4 without STP.
Agree with the above as well.^
That's three of us -- 6.4 is more fun IMHO, but I would love it if I could get a B5 Blue SP with some extra clearance.

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
I suspect we might be around the same age. In other words, old enough to remember and to have been a part of the glory days. :grin2:

I remember seeing someone post with a tan colored car with a red interior on another forum....
I read a story in one of the car mags years ago about a guy who wanted a one of a kind so he ordered a Plum Crazy Road Runner with a green interior. My 1974 Challenger was a light green metallic with an all green interior. Back then not only could you pick and choose individual options but there were many choices too. Now with most manufacturers you get a choice of grey, grey or grey interiors. Even up through 1989, Mustangs could be had with black, white, tan, grey, red or blue interiors. Now the manufacturers act like they're doing us a favor by building what they want. It's a big deal just to get white or red seat inserts now. Whoop.

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
In 1970. you had 6 engine choices if you ordered a Challenger. The T/A was limited to the 340, and the R/T was limited to the big blocks.
When you consider the different carbs, there were actually 11 amazing engine choices, not 6, in 1970. Also, you could order an R/T with a 340 4-barrel. The T/A had the 6-pack.

Here is the complete list:

198 6-cylinder, 1 bbl., 101 hp
225 6-cylinder, 1bbl., 145 hp
318 8-cylinder, 2 bbl., 230 hp
340 8-cylinder, 4 bbl., 275 hp
340 8- cylinder, 3 x 2 bbl., 290 hp
383 8-cylinder, 2 bbl., 290 hp
383 8- cylinder, 4 bbl., 330 hp
383 8-cylinder Magnum, 4 bbl., 335 hp
440 8-cylinder Magnum, 4 bbl., 375 hp
440 8-cylinder, 3 x 2 bbl., 390 hp
426 8-cylinder, 2 x 4 bbl., 425 hp

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I actually think Dodge has done quite well in offering choices. Granted, it has been at the expense of the exclusivity of the SRT 392; however it has worked well for them.

It started with the Scat Pack and then expanded further with the ability to option the SP with SRT Brakes and wheels. You also now have the T/A, which borrows the SRT hood.

Dodge is listening to what people want.

In a perfect world, you would be allowed to choose any interior / technology package for any model... Laguna, sound system,etc. You would also be able to select upgraded powertrain components.. I.E. the 8HP90 behind the 6.4L.

I would also have them design a wideband body that didn't feature stick on flares. Retool that mold and make it right! :)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,781 Posts
Well those of you that say you'd like a car without the computer stuff. #1 it would never happen, #2 you wouldn't have the HP numbers, speed numbers, MPG numbers, etc. You can't have both. It takes away your ability to modify to a certain extent, but imagine everything is mechanical. Your mods would just start to approach the kinds of numbers they have now. Yes there is that "old school" lope, etc. But don't wear the rose colored glasses, remember all the issues too. Old school muscle cars were awesome, but they weren't perfect by far. I think the modern iterations with their HP#s, and fuel economy, low emissions, idle all day, etc. are great successors to those bygone days. Ironically, this is the epitome of muscle currently, 500, 600, 700, 800 horses, from the factory, with 20 MPG, all the amenities...no comparison. I love 60's and 70's muscle cars, partly because they were awesome, partly because they were part of the soundtrack of my youth. But today you have a 485 HP car you get in and turn the key. Add gas, and the occasional oil change, and you're done. That same number in an original muscle car and you're adjusting idle, bent over the hood 1/2 the time, etc. That was an enjoyable thing, and still can be, but being able to just jump in your car, take it on a 3000 mile road trip with no issue. That's really something. A Guy

·
Registered
37 Posts
White heated and vented seats for me with PCP, white stripes, chrome wheels, P275 tires as a stand alone option. Some sort of spare tire as an option. Though not for me, I think Dodge would sell every convertible they could make.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts