Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it would be possible to get a V6 challenger in the Hellcat plane, What exactly are some upgrades that can be done for the low for small gains and what ultimately will get me into the high 500HP plain. I'm a little new to the Muscle car scene but I didn't see much threads pertaining to the newer 15+ v6 models and upgrades.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I was wondering if it would be possible to get a V6 challenger in the Hellcat plane, What exactly are some upgrades that can be done for the low for small gains and what ultimately will get me into the high 500HP plain. I'm a little new to the Muscle car scene but I didn't see much threads pertaining to the newer 15+ v6 models and upgrades.

Look into ripp superchargers
https://rippmods.com/collections/dodge-charger/products/2015-2016-dodge-challenger-3-6-supercharger-kit-full-system-with-tuning

They have a guy on YouTube they beats scatpacks down the track with this.
https://youtu.be/zd-9sagGzcA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,798 Posts
If you are talking rear wheel HP, The RIPP supercharger quotes 425RWH. I don't think most are getting quite that though. But with a good tuner it's possible you might get that. Getting the other 75HP could be costly if possible. Not a lot of support for the V6 as far as internals, etc. I'd assume it would be possible with a lot of $$$$, as most things are. RWH on the stock V6 is only around 255 or so. The V6 is not meant to make 500HP.

A Guy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Dam thats mostly what I've been seeing superchargers being the only real boost, but if the Ripp can get you to 400+ HP installed on a stock engine wouldn't things like exhaust or upgrading some engine parts push you that 20-30HP. I also have a question on exhaust which would you guys recommend to give the 6 a V8 like tone and rumble with little drone?

Also are there any aftermarket brakes you guys would recommend that are on par with brembo and a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you are talking rear wheel HP, The RIPP supercharger quotes 425RWH. I don't think most are getting quite that though. But with a good tuner it's possible you might get that. Getting the other 75HP could be costly if possible. Not a lot of support for the V6 as far as internals, etc. I'd assume it would be possible with a lot of $$$$, as most things are. RWH on the stock V6 is only around 255 or so. The V6 is not meant to make 500HP.

A Guy
Actually, since I've been looking, besides a stroker kit for the 3.6 there are a few nice parts. H-beam rods and forged pistons to name a few. Just look around a bit on the internet.

The real problem with any centrifical type blower is waiting for it to kick in. A roots type blower hits as soon as you floor it. There is a thread in the 3.6 specific forum about that. Nice results too. With the forged pistons you can really up the boost also. Remember the need for a tune though, and intake/exhaust upgrades. They might not be very necessary in a stock motor, but when you add the blower they make a difference.

Take a look here: https://www.prodigyperformance.com/blog/36-pentastar-performance-upgrades.html

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,798 Posts
As I say, not a lot of support, and $$$$ Beautiful stuff, but $4650 for Pistons, rods, block guards and head studs :surprise: Odd they mention a complete ready to go engine, but no link, and no sign of it anywhere. I'd have to think the build in exhaust to the heads would be a limiting factor? $10,000 + labor and you'd have quite a stout V6!

A Guy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't seem to get that site from the link, but I'll do some research on the blower. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, since I've been looking, besides a stroker kit for the 3.6 there are a few nice parts. H-beam rods and forged pistons to name a few. Just look around a bit on the internet.

The real problem with any centrifical type blower is waiting for it to kick in. A roots type blower hits as soon as you floor it. There is a thread in the 3.6 specific forum about that. Nice results too. With the forged pistons you can really up the boost also. Remember the need for a tune though, and intake/exhaust upgrades. They might not be very necessary in a stock motor, but when you add the blower they make a difference.

Take a look here: https://www.prodigyperformance.com/blog/36-pentastar-performance-upgrades.html
I can't seem to get that site from the link, but I'll do some research on the blower. Thanks for the heads up.

As I say, not a lot of support, and $$$$ Beautiful stuff, but $4650 for Pistons, rods, block guards and head studs :surprise: Odd they mention a complete ready to go engine, but no link, and no sign of it anywhere. I'd have to think the build in exhaust to the heads would be a limiting factor? $10,000 + labor and you'd have quite a stout V6!

A Guy
Stout? thats a good thing right? lol and that is a lot of money to put in but definitely doable over time

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,220 Posts

Right now the fastest 3.6 challengers, chargers are running low to mid 12's, Sprintex is the known fastest with like a 12.09 at 110 and another guy on youtube ran like a 12.35 at 112 with a rip supercharger.

I have a sprintex with 15 lbs of boost ( smallest pulley made) and the worlds crappiest tune on pump gas, best so far 12.80 e.t., my 0-60mph runs are 4.0 been trying to crack into the high 3's just have not done it yet, I know there's a lot left in it, just matter of getting done.

·
Registered
328 Posts

A Guy
I listed that simply to show there are parts, I was only interested in the names of the actual manufacturers, not this vendor. Those are high prices. I've seen the pistons at much less, didn't price the rods...look around using the Manufacturers name only. All those parts can but purchased at reasonable prices. EDIT: I was wrong, it's a different manuf....https://www.shop.505performance.com/product.sc;jsessionid=335150B5483AAEE4F7FBAF416B7501F4.p3plqscsfapp003?productId=366, $650 for the pistons.

Me. I'd build the block using the pistons and rods (or similar). I don't know about the "block guards". Then I'd boost it to 15 PSI using the sprintex blower. They are supposed to be releasing a newer model that sits under a stock hood.

After that, if you need more there is NOS. Heck, you could just use that if you are only interested in using at the track and make the most power you can with the block and crank.

Personally I'm hoping someone comes out with a stroker kit like the 4.0 for the 3.5 V6. Why not? There is probably a bigger market for the 3.6 now that there ever was for the 3.5.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,798 Posts
Right now the fastest 3.6 challengers, chargers are running low to mid 12's, Sprintex is the known fastest with like a 12.09 at 110 and another guy on youtube ran like a 12.35 at 112 with a rip supercharger.

I have a sprintex with 15 lbs of boost ( smallest pulley made) and the worlds crappiest tune on pump gas, best so far 12.80 e.t., my 0-60mph runs are 4.0 been trying to crack into the high 3's just have not done it yet, I know there's a lot left in it, just matter of getting done.
And you are running stock internals? Did Sprintex or anyone say it would hold up to 15lbs of boost? I understand beyond the cast pistons, these engines are very stout. 6 bolt mains, decent forged rods, under piston oil squirters, etc. A Guy

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,220 Posts
And you are running stock internals? Did Sprintex or anyone say it would hold up to 15lbs of boost? I understand beyond the cast pistons, these engines are very stout. 6 bolt mains, decent forged rods, under piston oil squirters, etc. A Guy
All stock from the factory, I have only done changes from the outside, like porting lower manifold, building my own head tubes and designing my exhaust and such. Sprintex has no issues with this much boost, many of the jeeps run this level for years with no known issues.

Look at what ripp is doing, one of their cars ran 112 mph, that's about 50 more hp than what I'm putting down based on trap speeds and I'm sure their boost is way up there as well, I would not be surprised if the ripps are shoving over 15 psi in the upper rpm range, their kind of supercharger multiplies the boost very fast if they have 4 psi at 3k they will have 16psi at 6k and boost will just keep climbing from there.

The Sprintex is instant boost, soon as I mash the gas it's 15 psi thru the entire rpm range, ripp just keeps adding boost as rpm goes up ( since it's a centrifugal supercharger, so if your shifts go a little higher on a pass so does the peak boost.

The 3.6 is a well protected engine, unless you bypass the sensors, this I think is what allows Sprintexs not to worry about the boost levels on a stock engine, they allow the factory protection programs, if you will, intact in their tunes so the engine stays save, primarily not turning down the knock sensors, and allowing the computer to pull timing as needed. I can see this in my data logging, timing being pulled or added while under full throttle, the engine is given a certain timing goal, but if the computer "hears" things or reads something wrong, that set timing is not allowed and will be pulled back, when things are safe it will added, it's nothing but a back and forth war.

In fact when I went from 11 psi to 15 psi in boost, my tune stayed the same, the tuner at Sprintex had no issue and said your good to go, talk about a cookie cutter tune, no wonder Sprintex gets no love in the tuning department. My car launch harder for sure and made a little more trap speed but nothing out of this world.

So even adding boost doesn't mean you really get to see all the extra power, you might at times get to see a little more power, adding more boost can also slow you down because the timing is being yanked, more boost is more heat, more heat less power, boost is nothing more than a restriction in the intake track- all that air fuel stacked up waiting to get into the cylinder other things have to be done to take advantage of that boost.

For me I need to work on cooling the intake charge more to control my timing, to allow my engine to put back a little more timing so a can reap the benefits of the boost. There was a decent gain, nothing to write home about from about 11 to 15 psi, saw much more timing being pulled in the tune and really rich conditions that stayed rich even with more boost, even at times 9 to 1 air fuel ratio in the upper rpm range- pig rich. So it's a matter of me improve the conditions for the boost that's there if I want to go faster yet.

Ripp may have spent a little more time on their tune to take advantage of the boost, I'm starting to see more and more ripp v6 engines and they are getting better, there first few cars was a joke running mid 13's and really slow 0-60 mph times.

ok now I'm just rambling.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,798 Posts
Thanks ddeennis. I wonder what HP the drive line will support if a forged engine put out 500RWHP?

A Guy

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,220 Posts
Thanks ddeennis. I wonder what HP the drive line will support if a forged engine put out 500RWHP?

A Guy
well consider the tranny, it's not built weaker since it's behind the v6, so what ever the v8 can throw at it I'm sure the v6 would struggle to break it. driveshaft same deal, just as strong as the v8 counter part. Now the rear differential is smaller than the v8's, the 198's and 200 mm and so forth are still pretty strong, spline count and materials are still up in the strength compartment. It's going to be pretty tough to even break the smallest rear ends, you going to need a lot of shock to break them, and being an automatic and being a v6 that struggles to even come close to making hemi torque down low even hopped up, there should be very little fear of breaking anything. your going to need the combination of sudden torque and a solid stick of a tire to yank anything apart in the rear end on a launch.

Those of you that never see the dragstrip, your not going to break even a 198 mm rear end, you won't ever have enough power and enough sticky tire to jolt anything on a launch. To give you an example my 1980 camaro has around 700 hp going thru a stock drive line- th350 tranny, driveshaft and stock 10 bolt 8.5", as long as I don't mount slicks on the rear end and go to the dragstrip and launch with all it has, the rear isn't going to break. I have taken the car to the track on street tires and have given all she got on street tire, done this for years. Same on the street, if the tires are spinning your not stressing anything at these kind of power levels.

So for the v6 challengers and chargers and such, the driveline is plenty stout. right now I'm at 1.78 60 ft times on drag radials in my challenger and this isn't even close to stressing anything, based on my trap speed i'm at about 450 gross hp- flywheel.

So would 500 rwhp be enough to hurt the driveline, I don't think so, where I'm at right now if you add 150 hp to my engine to make 600 crank hp that only increases launch torque about 75 ft lbs and that's not enough torque to break the drive line on launch, the v6 is 220 cubic inches there's just not enough torque down low to hurt anything.

Your going to have to have a perfect storm to break the driveline and it maybe a combination of certain action that finally snap something. It's the torque, weight and how much sudden shock is placed on the weakest link.

If this was a clutch set up, stuff would break sooner, automatic's are a big saver.

Look at the hemi car's, find a r/t hemi car that is all stock with a supercharger bolted on and see how they are holding up, this is a fine example of how the sxt will hold up.

I know this isn't an exact answer on how much power will sxt driveline handle, currently no one has found it, otherwise i'm sure there would be something on the net. If I ever find it, I will post it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts