Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a lot about people modding the 3.6, but it seems to be limited to Predator tunes, CAI, and exhaust mods.

I know it's a new engine, but I'm wondering what is available and possible in the way of ported head work and cams. With this screwball new variable cam timing thing, I wonder how much that would affect the usefulness of aftermarket cams.

I imagine the intake is pretty good the way it is, what about a larger throttle body over the stock one? I think stock is 74mm now?

Some will want different pistons for boosted and nitrous use, but that's more than I had in mind. I was thinking of cams / ported heads / CAI, and a Predator or maybe custom tune.

I wonder what the realistic HP / TQ gains could be from these things. Has anyone flow tested the 3.6 heads yet?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Really no need for cams with the vct, I would say longtubes, Tune, catback, cai, one of these would probably whoop at stock 6 speed r/t. They need to make a a 6 speed manual v6, plenty more people would probably buy the cars.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You know, I'm not even sure people have done any Predator tuning with the 3.6L V6 yet. From the little knowledge I've picked up from the forums here, Dodge changed the computer systems for 2011. So I don't think DiabloSport has figured out any 2011 engine yet, 3.6, 5.7, or 6.4. If there's no aftermarket tuning tools yet, it probably limits people's ability to do any significant engine mods. Once the tuning tools are available, then you'll see all kinds of mods available. I think when the HEMI first came out in 2005, I think it was a little while before anything was available to do then. I think you'll have to be patient.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Really no need for cams with the vct, I would say longtubes, Tune, catback, cai, one of these would probably whoop at stock 6 speed r/t. They need to make a a 6 speed manual v6, plenty more people would probably buy the cars.
just about any manual V6 challenger would be a good seller

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
How would 25-40 extra horsepower whoop an R/T. The R/T has almost 100 more hp stock and alot more torque. :scratchhead:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
There is precisely zero chance you'll beat an R/T with that. What I don't get is why not just get the V8 HEMI instead of throwing money at a V6?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3.6's can't use headers, unless the manifold was machined off the heads. I wonder how restrictive that manifold is.

3.6's all come with dual exhaust on the Challenger. Surely it is not restrictive, since each side only has to flow 1.8 liters worth of exhaust, albeit at 150 HP or more per side.

I don't think the Predator is ready yet either. DiabloSPort should contact some engineer at Chrysler and pay them off for the quick answer to cracking the computer. I don't know why Chrysler makes such a big deal out of it in the first place. They must know it'll happen anyhow.

I'm sure a nice CAI would help, but what about a bigger throttle body ( I think stock is 74mm? ), maybe some intake manifold work, and ported heads? I'm sure there'd be gains from ported heads, as long as the computer was able to be tuned for it.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
RDP motorsport has a twin turbo setup for V6 Challengers. That would be your best bet to increase power on a V6.

·
Registered
533 Posts
3.6's can't use headers, unless the manifold was machined off the heads. I wonder how restrictive that manifold is.
That's an interesting fact. Are the exhaust manifolds not just bolted to the heads? Are they pressed on or welded somehow? That's the first time I've heard of such a design.

EDIT: I just found a cutaway picture of the 3.6 Pentastar and now I see what you're talking about. That's a strange design. The exhaust runners of the head act as the manifold and the exhaust port is one large collector. I can't say I like that design. But as you said, maybe the exhaust runners can be ported for better flow. The "collector port" is fairly large, so perhaps just a "collector extension" could act like headers? The aftermarket will probably come out with something, since this engine is supposed to be used across Chrysler's line for quite a while.

·
Registered
318 Posts
How would 25-40 extra horsepower whoop an R/T. The R/T has almost 100 more hp stock and alot more torque. :scratchhead:
On the dragstrip I mean, the stock 6 speed r/t dont run good on the track, the auto cars do, a auto v6 with around 330 hp would surely give a 6 speed r/t a run for its money, its considerably lighter, and arent the the new v6 dynoing around 260rwhp thru an auto. So I dont really think my statement is to far off. It takes less skill to get an auto down the track then a manual, I would say the v6 would have little wheel spin as well. Maybe I should have phrased my statement differently, but I dont think what I said is way out there. I believe it can happen. I have an r/t as you can see in 6 speed form and Its a dyno queen, nice dyno numbers, but a track flop. I still love the car no doubt. I am fine with that, but the quickest cars are apparently automatic. Just like some auto r/t guys are beating srt's on the track. Power is not everything it just helps, gotta hook, and not have a crappy torque management system like the manual cars have. Even thru all that I love my car, I might ***** about it sometimes cause I think chrysler could have did better in the performance department but can't have it all I guess.

·
Registered
63 Posts
'09 R/T - 0-60 in 5.1, 1/4 in 13.6
'10 SE - 0-60 in 7.3, 1/4 in 15.6

Enter the 3.6L Pentastar.

'11 SE - 0-60 in 6.3, 1/4 in 14.7

So, I would agree that with a few hp mods the new SE's could compete with previous year R/T's. It's a tough, fist sized pill to swallow, I know.

The more research I did on the Pentastar, however, the more my jaw dropped. I suppose in buying one I've put as much faith in the Pentastar as Chrysler has, because they're dropping them in everything.

On the dragstrip I mean, the stock 6 speed r/t dont run good on the track, the auto cars do, a auto v6 with around 330 hp would surely give a 6 speed r/t a run for its money, its considerably lighter, and arent the the new v6 dynoing around 260rwhp thru an auto. So I dont really think my statement is to far off. It takes less skill to get an auto down the track then a manual, I would say the v6 would have little wheel spin as well. Maybe I should have phrased my statement differently, but I dont think what I said is way out there. I believe it can happen. I have an r/t as you can see in 6 speed form and Its a dyno queen, nice dyno numbers, but a track flop. I still love the car no doubt. I am fine with that, but the quickest cars are apparently automatic. Just like some auto r/t guys are beating srt's on the track. Power is not everything it just helps, gotta hook, and not have a crappy torque management system like the manual cars have. Even thru all that I love my car, I might ***** about it sometimes cause I think chrysler could have did better in the performance department but can't have it all I guess.

·
Registered
451 Posts
In stock form and with an inexperienced driver the 6 speeds may be a "track flop" but with DR's and some practice they can certainly hold their own. My PB is 13.27 @105 and my wirst was a 14.6 @ 99 MPH when I missed third... with a Hurst shifter, I don't miss third anymore..

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Anybody ever consider an rpm berserker Pentastar with hardened valve train to handle revs to 7500-8000 rpm? I think that would further leverage a concept manual gearbox SE. Rotational mass in the drivetrain could become more critical at that kind of engine speeds. If there is too much inertia, it would end up for naught, of course.

EDIT: I guess if we took the displacement x rpm product into account for a 5.7 L Hemi redlining at 5800 rpm, a 3.6 L Pentastar could achieve comparable output, if it could be reinforced and tuned to hit a 9200 rpm redline. That's pretty substantial, but if you are going to impress with rpm, got to go long, right? Has anybody ever built a 9200 rpm v6, or would that be totally out to lunch for the Pentastar?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why the V-6 and not the Hemi? Blame the banks for that. I make $60,000+ per year but my credit score was in the 600's. I couldn't be cleared for more than $25,000 even with $5,000 down so no Hemi for me; however, I can throw $1,000 every week into my car.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Why the V-6 and not the Hemi? Blame the banks for that. I make $60,000+ per year but my credit score was in the 600's. I couldn't be cleared for more than $25,000 even with $5,000 down so no Hemi for me; however, I can throw $1,000 every week into my car.

I sure would like to know how... I make more than 60K a year, half my SRT is PAID for, and I can't throw 1000's at it a week :)

At any rate! The poor 3.6 guys are in the same boat as the rest of us 2011+ guys and it's a shame.. I think that motor has potential, it's potent out of the box.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't know toxic? Thats's what they told me. Maybe it's a Texas thing lol. I'm definitely wanting to get more hp out of this little 3.6 problem is I've always been a motorcycle guy so every bit of help and info I can get is extremely appreciated. I've already looked at 20" American Racing wheels, Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 tires, K&N or MOPAR CAi's, Stage 3 performance chip, cat-back exhaust, and eibach suspension. So, please feel free to laugh, applaud, criticise but in the end please give helpful info. Another thing if I apply a turbocharger is it wise to stay with stock engine parts? Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
508 Posts
No one knows, no one has a tuner for any 11 & 12 model yet. Small gains can be made through a cai and exhaust. Under drive pulleys if avail could work, also a gear change. Nitrous could be used as well. Until some one comes out with a tuner, or can tune any performance mods other than what is available would probably throw codes on the computer. Most of us are in the same boat you are in, we want more power, and more options to get there, until then we are stuck with what we have.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
13 Posts
So basically the sencible thing to do would start with the wheels, tires, possible body accessories, and wait for the tuner. Good deal, thank you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts