Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I’ve recently brought a 2015 challenger r/t with the Tremec TR-6060 and 94,000 miles. Any advice on which performance upgrades work best? Such as cam, headers, turner etc..

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
335 Posts
For a 2015 you will need to have the PCM unlocked in able to tune it, I myself would look at headers, as the stock manifolds are by far the biggest restriction in the car. However like OregonScat said, a supercharger is easily a great way to add big power, and headers wouldn't really be a requirement for that, like they would be NA.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I’ve been on this road since October. I prefer NA engines and have collected the 392 intake, SRT headers, head pipes with cars…yeah, I live in an emissions inspection state. I have finally decided on a cam..akmost anyway. The Comp Cams Stage 2 NA cam looks good…so dies the XFI 223/232 cam…called the 274 cam, too. When I cam my R/T I’ll
port the heads, intake and get a larger bore throttle body. Then there is that almighty tune. have been looking at the HP Tuners setup…reading charts and tables, cause and effects.

These mods should comfortably get 420 at the wheel…most likely more.

·
Registered
Special order. 6 speed manual
2,296 Posts
I’ve been on this road since October. I prefer NA engines and have collected the 392 intake, SRT headers, head pipes with cars…yeah, I live in an emissions inspection state. I have finally decided on a cam..akmost anyway. The Comp Cams Stage 2 NA cam looks good…so dies the XFI 223/232 cam…called the 274 cam, too. When I cam my R/T I’ll
port the heads, intake and get a larger bore throttle body. Then there is that almighty tune. have been looking at the HP Tuners setup…reading charts and tables, cause and effects.

At the risk of sounding like a Jerk... When I read "I prefer NA", all I think is, this person is going to piss away thousands for very little gain.

it’s not like the old days where you get gobs of easy power from a V8 because they were so poorly setup or restricted from the factory. These are already fairly optimized and little is left takes a bunch of money to pull out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pissing away money…you are working on sounding like one. I just didn’t get off the boat. Besides, I like normally aspirated engines. I didn’t get the memo all power improvements needed boost to not be a loser.

My collection has been under way to upgrade to a readonable power level. I have no need for chasing some petceived illusions…did that years ago.

The improvementscI listed will net me about 100 whp and cost me $3800. Some good takeoff components, new cam, HP Tuners gig. That is $38/hp. No labor costs.

Procharger for 5.7 is $8,000. Procharger claims 160 whp. That is $50/hp. No labor.

A supporting article for a Scat Pack/SRT 392 indicates 175 wheel horsepower. So to get that you need to make the necessary NA improvements…another approximate. $3070 No labor.

Now the cost is $65/hp. And the boost is kept lower, 7 psi, so the pistons will live..

So I am pissing away 24% to 41% less per horsepower. I am pissing away 52% to 65% money. Getting the most out of a given setup is whete the real challenge lays.

I guess your Scat Pack is boosted…

·
Premium Member
Charger 392
505 Posts

The 274 cam with supporting mods that gets you 100 hp is way to big for the 5.7L unless you do not plan to daily drive the car. More problems with that cam and the 5.7L than you can imagine even if you get the tuning right.
In order to get max power from a cam on the 5.7L you will need long tubes. Shorties will just not cut it. I went that route with a custom Cam, 6.4L intake, heads and just made 385 hp to the wheels. Swapped out the shorties for long tubes and I ended up with 410 hp to the wheels.
I see you have the 13 RT with 6M. I would recommend replacing the lifters when doing the head work. Dodge did not change the lifters until around MY17 and on. So any MY before 2017 is going to be prone to the cam/lifter issues.
If you are doing the work yourself you save tons in labor, but if you are paying a reputable shop to do the head, cam install plan on some high fees and labor hours. The days where you could get a cam package for $3000 are long gone. It is now north of $5000 for the cam install with pulling the heads to install the PSI springs and pushrods for the cam. Does not include head work like porting.

I advise all that want to stay NA and are thinking about a cam install when a performance shop is going to do the work, to add up all the costs. Springs, pushrods, cam, limiter, lifters, headers plus the installation costs and see where they end up. You will be surprised what you can get today for a few dollars more. New 6.2 Hellcat Longblock for the 5.7L or 6.4L engine is just $7700 now.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would definitely replace the lifters on a new cam at 64k miles. That goes with any cam with that amount of mileage…or any mileage. I understand some cams are problematic. I’ve looked at the 274 cam a couple times, read similar things you mentioned about it. I keep coming back to the Comp stage 2 cam or the TSP stage 3 NA cam…mainly becaise of the short stroke of the 5.7L. I have read/viewed positive on both. Pretty typical to get 420 to the wheels without porting when properly setup.

My Challenger is not a daily driver but I drive it frequently. I have experience with long duration high lift cams. Most of it is with big cube longer stroke engines…with makes the engine more cam tolerant. Biggest issue I am having is the cam companies do not respond with timing specs on some of their cams. Comp has the info in on the website for the 274…but not for the Stage 2. So far I have gotten ZERO responses from any of them. It is difficult to see where the real differences are between the Stage 2 NA l and the XFI cams with similar but slightly longer duration. I also recognize in some instances the cam phaser needs to be locked, not limited.

On the header subject…I just don’t want the ground clearance and other attendant problems of long tube headers. Been there, done that. Scavenging and tuning effects aside, I am having a difficult time seeing why the SRT/Scat Pack headers flow 485 horsepower from the larger ported 392, gain 60+ horsepower from just a cam and tuning change…but not 420 from the smaller ported 5.7. They are not the same animal as the shortie replacements for the 5.7 exhaust manifolds. On dyno’d Scat Packs the long tubes only net about 11 horsepower over the factory headers. I think there may be a paradyne logic.

Your 25 horsepower gain going from shorties to long tubes is taken and considered. I have resigned the long tibes may be a necessary evil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts