Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use bumper plugs to fill the holes from bumper bracket?
Ohio goes frontless in July and when weather breaks, i plan on replacing bracket with these

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,434 Posts
I have done that on several cars, but I refused to pay that price. I bought the Dorman assortment from local parts store, and a bottle of touch up paint. Then with something like 800 grit, sand them smooth, and brush on the paint. (Stick them in cardboard or something when painting) then when dry after a day, I wet sanded them smooth and sprayed clear on them. They looked like they were supposed to be there. I put 2 or 4 on my old Cadillac SRX, and I had a Mercedes SLK that needed 7, yes, SEVEN!. The plate bracket was held on with 3, and someone put the dealer plate on with long screws that went all the way through. I bought it in VA and I guess they require a front plate there so it was normal for them.
Plus, you should have a touch up bottle anyway, and it is fun doing it yourself. You could find someone with a body shop and a plastic welder and fill them from the rear and touch them up, but I was afraid I'd screw up and used trim plugs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did buy a pair but when I took off the plate frame, small scratches and lines from the frame. What can an I use to get them off. Someone suggested polishing compound. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
135 Posts
I am in OH and going to install a "vanity" front plate. I will likely go with my college alma tomater.

P.S. I doubt the cost of the registration will be reduced when going to one plate.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, plates will not cost any less, for sure. I Like the like the look of the front bumper sans plate frame. much cleaner, imo.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,757 Posts
I did buy a pair but when I took off the plate frame, small scratches and lines from the frame. What can an I use to get them off. Someone suggested polishing compound. Thoughts?
Get some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (Pep Boys, etc.) and some good, soft microfiber towels

Use a small amount and rub softly, then clean off with 2nd MF towel. See what success you've had, repeat as necessary. This is a very mild compound, so you won't get yourself in trouble unless you rub like your trying to erase the bumper ;) Don't chase any real deep scratches unless you are prepared to wet sand and polish. Follow up with your favorite wax and it should look much better

A Guy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do! Thank you for advice- cant wait to dump the front plate...should've just signed the wavier

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,757 Posts
Yeah, looks good (y)

A Guy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts