Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I looked around at the more specific forums and didn't think this fit anywhere, except for maybe Exterior Modification. If there is a more acceptable place to put this, then please bump me.

So I rear-ended someone today going at most 10 mph; it was a really short stop light—less than 20 seconds green before the light changes again—and I didn't notice them stopping. Anyways, I just hit the SUV's trailer hitch, so their car is ok; they didn't even take my information. My 2014 SXT plus, however, took some damage. The grille appears to be fine; everything appears to be fine except for the front bumper that has a trailer hitch sized hole in it.

I'd rather not raise my insurance if I can help it. As such, I was wondering roughly how much it would be to get this replaced; I want to know if I could afford to pay it. I've seen some listed online for anywhere from $150-$500 already primed and painted. Could I get one of these and put it on myself? That would be significantly cheaper than taking it in somewhere. If I do indeed need to get this done somewhere, then where should I go? I'm assuming, the dealer would be more expensive but would use actual dodge parts. Would a body shop be able to offer the same quality? For cheaper? Does anyone have any idea on how much the part and labor would cost? Would I be charged for painting or would they get the part already painted?

I know that was a lot of questions. Any input on any of those questions would be greatly appreciated. The car is a black 2014 SXT plus.

·
Premium Member
9,410 Posts
It's a new car, if you cut corners you'll never be happy and a cheap shop won't prep the plastic correctly so that's another issue.
I'd say you're looking at $1250-$1500 for the job.
Did you break the support panel underneath?

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Tough break on that. Looking at it, if it were me, there is no way I would do anything other than bite the bullet and buy a new bumper and have it repainted. Like Yellow Jacket said, "it's a new car" and you would never be happy with it if you settled for a patch. Just my .02C

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I just went through the same ordeal 2 months ago. I was driving along the hiway and went under a bridge as some concrete was falling off of it. :surprise:

The concrete hit the road in front of me, but I drove through the bouncing rocks after the chunk broke apart. The end result was a baseball size crack to the right of my license plate. It cost me $983 at a collision shop, with me having to eat the first $500 because of my deductible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input everyone! I might just have to try that license plate thing... freakin hilarious! Yea I agree with what y'all are saying; I don't think I'd be happy with anything but a new bumper. Yellow Jacket, how do I tell if the support panel is broken? Do I have to pull the bumper off? I can't really see it through the hole because the bumper plastic is in the hole blocking the way.

Speaking of taking the bumper off... on the driver side the bumper has started to pull away from the rest of the car. The approx. $1000-$1500 isn't too terrible. I may have to save up a bit to pay it. I really do want to avoid insurance so that I don't have to worry about premiums going up or a Carfax. The bumper isn't in danger of falling off; but there is a maybe half-inch space between the bumper and the fender/hood. Can I drive around with that space there for a bit, or would that be a terrible idea?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I see front bumpers on craigslist all the time, get one for 2-300 and have it painted. 3M does have material to repair this type of damage, works fine and will last. See tons of front fascias on Ebay too.

·
Premium Member
9,410 Posts
Any hidden damage won't be determined until the bumper cover comes off and hopefully its fine.
Good luck.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Regarding your insurance premium, consider what your driving record is like with them and whether you've made any other claims. I had a couple of similar incidents a few years ago and made a claim for collision damage to the tune of $6500, and my insurance company maybe raised my rate $5 a month (or maybe not at all--can't remember). I know other people's experience may vary, but it may not be as bad as you think especially if it's not a lot of damage and the other guy isn't making a claim. Something to think about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. I'll check with body shop soon and see what they say. I'll check around online too and look in to some of the 3M products. I might go with insurance after all if the premiums won't go up too much. I just figured that the rates would skyrocket. It's my first accident so I don't really have any prior experiences to base things off of in terms of how much my premiums would rise. I just assumed that since I'm a young guy driving a coupe they'd blast me with rate hikes.

·
Premium Member
9,410 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll check with body shop soon and see what they say. I'll check around online too and look in to some of the 3M products. I might go with insurance after all if the premiums won't go up too much. I just figured that the rates would skyrocket. It's my first accident so I don't really have any prior experiences to base things off of in terms of how much my premiums would rise. I just assumed that since I'm a young guy driving a coupe they'd blast me with rate hikes.
Sad, insurance is there for a reason and when you do, you're afraid of being punished for doing so.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Call around to a few junkyards i bet they can find you a bumper the same color and put it on yourself probably 200-300 thats your cheapest option

1 - 19 of 19 Posts