Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there!

As you can see in my sig, I currently have a 2010 Challenger SRT-8 w/ a 6-speed and like most people i'm looking to get more power out of the 6.1L rather than trading up (stupid 392... :disgust:)

I had some newb questions about the Magnacharger kit.

1.) FIRST off, how safe is this? Will supercharging my car come with risk of explosion? lol...

2.) I also don't know a whole lot about this kind of stuff, so is supercharging right for me? I know some basic stuff about cars and working on engines but not NEARLY enough to say i'm comfortable if something should go wrong... i'd have no idea where to start looking!

3.) Will the car be reliable? Will I have to worry about different temperatures outside or different conditions messing around with the car and making it unpredictable? I don't want to have to monitor anything (like spark knock and what-not)

I guess what i'm asking is; after professional installation, will I be able to just get in and drive without worrying about the technical side of things?

4.) How much does this affect gas mileage? (+/-?)

5.) $6,000-$10,000 is a TON of cash; is this REALLY worth it? Do you REALLY feel a HUGE difference daily driving? I'll probably never even take my car to the race track, I just want something that HAULS ASS as a daily driver for the odd on-ramp or back county road.

6.) How difficult is the install? How many pieces does my car have to be disassembled into to get this installed? lol

7.) I have a Zoomers cat-back exhaust on my car, does this mess things up and force me to go get a custom tune?

8.) Will I be able to use my current Predator tuner and interface kit to send you my stock tune and install your tune?

9.) ...and finally, how does me living in Canada effect this entire scenario? Do you have Canadian vendors/installers? Is the extra warranty valid in the great white north?

Sorry for all the questions; please try to answer them all! :browsmiley:

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
I'll take a whack at your questions..

1.) FIRST off, how safe is this? Will supercharging my car come with risk of explosion? lol...
I don't know about risk of explosion as you put it but, it's always a risk when you take a stock engine and put a forced induction unit on it. The more induction pressure (boost) or HP, the greater the risk of failure.

2.) I also don't know a whole lot about this kind of stuff, so is supercharging right for me? I know some basic stuff about cars and working on engines but not NEARLY enough to say i'm comfortable if something should go wrong... i'd have no idea where to start looking!
The installs should be left to professionals or individuals that have experience in installations such as this. Whether it's right for you or not, only you can answer that. A major failure in a SC'd engine is usually no worse than a major engine failure in a normally aspirated engine, you're just raising the risk level.

3.) Will the car be reliable? Will I have to worry about different temperatures outside or different conditions messing around with the car and making it unpredictable? I don't want to have to monitor anything (like spark knock and what-not)
Reliability is related to induction pressure (boost) and HP. See ? number 1. There will still be an ECU monitoring and adjusting all that engine stuff like timing, F/A mixture, etc.
I guess what i'm asking is; after professional installation, will I be able to just get in and drive without worrying about the technical side of things?
Yes..

It probably won't change very much unless you have a heavy foot.

5.) $6,000-$10,000 is a TON of cash; is this REALLY worth it? Do you REALLY feel a HUGE difference daily driving? I'll probably never even take my car to the race track, I just want something that HAULS ASS as a daily driver for the odd on-ramp or back county road.
It is a chunk of change and I've been debating this very issue myself. Only you can answer if it's really worth it. You will feel and REALLY HUGE difference. Again, if you have a heavy foot, it will just get heavier and be prepared to buy more tires too. Oh, and you WILL have something that HAULS ASS.

6.) How difficult is the install? How many pieces does my car have to be disassembled into to get this installed? lol
I'd leave this part to the professionals.

7.) I have a Zoomers cat-back exhaust on my car, does this mess things up and force me to go get a custom tune?
Yes..

8.) Will I be able to use my current Predator tuner and interface kit to send you my stock tune and install your tune?
You should be able to use your current Predator tuner..

9.) ...and finally, how does me living in Canada effect this entire scenario? Do you have Canadian vendors/installers? Is the extra warranty valid in the great white north?
I'm sure folks will chime in and get you information on shops in your area that install SC's and also do tunes. You can also call the SC manufacturer and I'm sure they will have info on installers, dealers and tuners in your area.

Good luck with your engine mods..:bigthumb:

·
Registered
117 Posts
With our bolt-on system the biggest risk of explosion is using the wrong octane fuel - 91 or better is required. Other than that we run a nice, conservative 6psi of boost along with a conservative tune that still delivers a 120 hp/ft-lb of torque gain at the wheels. Of course a lot of this comes down to how you drive the car. Abuse it and you risk an explosion, with or without the supercharger.

Don't worry about not knowing "a whole lot about this kind of stuff." The beauty of the supercharger is its relative simplicity. Once it is installed you really don't ever have to worry about it. The oil in it is self-contained and doesn't need to be changed for 80-120k miles and the coolant for the intercooler system doesn't need to be changed for quite a long time either.

Your car will be just as reliable with our supercharger on it as it would without. Temperatures of course how a car runs regardless of whether it has a supercharger on it or not. I personally just got back from a 4500 mile road trip in our 2009 Challenger SRT8 driving through Phoenix, Arizona (116 degrees outside) and all over Texas (105 degrees with nasty humidity) and the car performed flawlessly for the entire trip. There really is not need to "monitor" anything like spark, knock, or afr. Once the supercharger is installed and our tune uploaded, the ecu will continue to function as it does now and will alert you to any issue with a CEL (which you can read out with your Diablo).

That all depends on your right foot. On that 4500 mile trip I just mentioned I was averaging around 21 miles per gallon. That was mostly highway mileage but it also included quite a bit of city driving and ... fun driving. And you better believe that Air Conditioning was on full blast the whole time.

It is definitely worth it. The addition of a supercharger will yield the most noticeable power gain of pretty much any mod you can add to your vehicle. Even better, our integral bypass valve system maintains your car's daily driving manners when you want them and when you don't.

The installation is not too difficult if you are decently mechanically inclined and have turned a few wrenches in your day. However, should you want to add the extended powertrain warranty, you will need to have the system professionally installed.

Your catback exhaust will not mess up the tune at all. Only changing the intake, headers, or catalytic converters will require a retune.

Yes. You can use your Predator tuner to send your stock file in and upload the new file.

We do have quite a few dealers in Canada with the largest being Davenport Motorsports. They are located in Calgary, Alberta. Our powertrain warranty is completely valid in the Great White North provided you have the supercharger professionally installed.

If you have any more questions please feel free to email me at [email protected] or call me at 805.642.8833 x255.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Jon, I guess I didn't understand question 7. :bigthumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts