Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, it's too quiet here today so I have a question.
I have loaded much of my music onto USB sticks to listen to in the Scat. For me, a feat in itself. But, I have "burned up" 2 USB sticks in 2 weeks. At first, they work fine.
I leave them plugged in all the time and I've noticed the LED on the stick stays on even when the car is off. These were cheap 2G sticks that were "give a ways" by the company I just retired from.
Could leaving them "on" all the time be contributing to them going out? Is it not advisable to leave them plugged in all the time?
I just purchased a Verbatim "Indigo" (same name as my paint color!) 32 GB stick and put 300 songs on it. It still has 95% free memory, amazing!
Just wondering if I should unplug the stick when I shut off the car at night? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
My music is on an SD card and it has been in the car since 2015 without issue.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've had mine plugged in for months, no issues. I HAD a cheapo no name brand that stopped working but once I put a quality one in, all was good

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed
208 Posts
I would never stick one of those cheapo memory sticks in a computer or anything else I own.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It was the staples brand stick. Not sure who makes them, but i consider anything not samsung etc as cheapo.

·
Premium Member
10,377 Posts
Maybe after a short period of time it times out and the light goes out?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I've never had any issues and I leave mine in the car all of the time. You can get huge, high-quality USB thumb drives dirt cheap now.

I'd recommend something like this - I've used the 128gb and now the 256gb without any issues - it's SO nice having thousands of albums at your fingertips at all times. I mean for under $20, you can get a tiny 128gb SanDisk thumb drive, which is nice because it barely sticks out of the USB port...

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Flash-Drive-128GB/dp/B07939DKWW

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,924 Posts
I've never had any issues and I leave mine in the car all of the time. You can get huge, high-quality USB thumb drives dirt cheap now.

I'd recommend something like this - I've used the 128gb and now the 256gb without any issues - it's SO nice having thousands of albums at your fingertips at all times. I mean for under $20, you can get a tiny 128gb SanDisk thumb drive, which is nice because it barely sticks out of the USB port...

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Flash-Drive-128GB/dp/B07939DKWW
I wasn't happy when CD's weren't available on my '16.

Got a quality usb drive, learned how to transfer my cd's over, and was amazed how little space was used.

I don't miss the CD's at all.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
3,181 Posts
The only brand I would use is ScanDisk.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,851 Posts
Have had mine plugged in for 5 years. Never looked to see if it was lit up. Should only light when it's being read (or written to on PC)

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
72 Posts
I store mine songs in MP3 format. Have about 4 thousand songs. Leave it plugged in all the time.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,534 Posts
Bought my one owner 2016 SP last year. Found a USB the guy forgot still place with hundreds of songs on it. I've never removed it and it works fine. Scored a real nice pair of reading glasses in a purple case he forgot also.

Reactions: rk_house

·
Registered
88 Posts
I got tired of the limited formatting like shuffling so I bought a $39 MP3 player on Amazon that can Bluetooth to the radio thing. I can hold about 6000 songs and it works great cause I can skip if I want easy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Kingston is the one of the best USB memory sticks. I have some that I use daily for years to transfer data in CNC machines.

I have noticed that too many songs on one disk and it takes the system forever to load and index them. I Haven't had issues with cheap usb sticks, but I put maybe 100 songs on each one and leave a pile of them in there and swap them out. I also use a small 5" usb male to female extenstion, so when I plug and unplug I am not wearing out the port in the car.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
449 Posts
For in the car where they can get bumped and possibly broken, I use SanDisk Cruzer Fit. Don't know if they still make them, but they have an Ultra Fit that looks pretty much the same.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
The reports of limited playback modes and slow startups are kind of confusing to me - at least if we're talking about the 2017+ AnrdoidAuto/Carplay-capable units. The 8.4" OEM headunit in my 2018 GT literally supports just about any file format (wav, mp3, flac, wma, etc), multiple shuffle/repeat modes, grouping by artist/album/genre, etc - and literally continues playback of the last song that was playing almost instantly - even with a 256gb thumbdrive that has TONS of music on it.

I really couldn't ask for anything more from a head-unit - it's also rock-solid reliable.

It does take a little time to "index" the thumbdrive on cold-starts, but like I said, it still continues playback where it left off instantly - and I can even skip songs instantly - I just can't "Browse" for maybe 10 or 15 seconds (if that) while it indexes at startup.

Maybe it depends on the drive speed, drive format (NTFS, FAT32, etc) and/or the layout of the files on the thumb drive? I'll have to check to see what format I decided on with my 256gb Sandisk thumb drive - but it's' anything but slow.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts