Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I need your help!

My lease is ending soon on my Challenger R/T and I've made the decision to upgrade to a Scat Pack this time around. I've only come across one with a manual transmission in B5 Blue within 300 miles and before I made the trip out there, the salesman told me it was currently in the shop having the engine replaced due to it being assembled incorrectly at the plant. He assured me they're replacing it with a brand new motor and not a rebuilt one. He also added he would work with me on getting a great deal because of the hassle.

If it wasn't so difficult to find one in B5 with a manual transmission I wouldn't give it a second thought, but its exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like to hear from you guys on what you would do or any thoughts and concerns.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
The only way I would buy that car is if they showed proof that it had never been sold, proof that the engine is brand new and not rebuilt, and if they provide a long extended warranty.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Agreed, but still might pass. A lot of dealers may beat the heck out the car during this engine swap.

Bottom line to me, it's not a new car anymore.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Run away from car. Run far run fast. Just order the car you want and be done with it. Why take the chance. If they put the motor in wrong, what else did they do wrong? How did the dealer know the motor was put in wrong just by driving it off of the car carrier? Someone had to have owned the car for at least a day to drive it and find problems. Run away.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
All of the above, PLUS the fact that you may have issues down the road trying to reassure a buyer that the reason the VIN # on the engine block doesn't match the build sheet had nothing to do with the car during YOUR ownership of it.

Walk, don't run...unless they give you an absolute steal of a deal, and even then....all of the above.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Hey guys I need your help!

My lease is ending soon on my challenger RT and I've made the decision to upgrade to a Scat Pack this time around. I've only come across one with a manual transmission in B5 Blue within 300 miles and before I made the trip out there, the salesman told me it was currently in the shop having the engine replaced due to it being assembled incorrectly at the plant. He assured me they're replacing it with a brand new motor and not a rebuilt one. He also added he would work with me on getting a great deal because of the hassle.

If it wasn't so difficult to find one in B5 with a manual transmission I wouldn't give it a second thought, but its exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like to hear from you guys on what you would do or any thoughts and concerns.

Dodge may be different but generally a replacement engine replaced under warranty can be a brand new engine -- never installed in a vehicle -- or it can be a rebuilt one either one that failed some inspection on the engine assembly line or even one that was pulled from a car and sent back to Dodge. For instance the engine in the car you are considering will almost certainly go back to Dodge and may be repaired and end up being used to replace an engine at some point.

This covered somewhere in the warranty fine print that no one reads.

The general advice when buying a used car is to avoid a car with a story. The same advice applies when buying a new car. Granted while rare a new car has a story, you should really avoid a new car with a story. The car you considering has a story. You won't know the ending though unless you buy the car and spend some time with the car. By that time you know how the story ends it may be too late if the story doesn't have a happy ending.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You make some great points and after reading everyones response, I'm going to hold off on purchasing that car. I really appreciate everyone's input!

·
Registered
760 Posts
The only way I would buy that car is if they showed proof that it had never been sold, proof that the engine is brand new and not rebuilt, and if they provide a long extended warranty.
Excellent advice.

If the motor is a "factory replacement" there is no reason to worry about the engine at all.

How-ever......dropping in a new Engine today isn't the same as in years past when we were talking simple "bolt in" and just a few wires to attach to the starter and ignition.

Today there are just so many little PIA problems that could creep in later to haunt you and possibly cost you pretty big in terms of labor to chase down.

That's your argument to make for the warranty extension for sure.......or enough "EXTRA" off the asking price to buy an extended warranty from Chrysler on your own.

Personally I'd go for more money off on the purchase and then shop the extended warranty. People often underestimate how much better they can do on an extended warranty if they "SHOP" for it rather than buy it form the same dealer at the time of the sale.

There is a lot of markup in the warranty MSRP. You can usually do a lot better than that first price offered by talking your car home and then playing multiple dealers against each other for the best warranty price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I liked your approach and called the dealership up and got some additional info. The engine had been making a funny noise and they isolated the issue down to the engine block and rather than replace any parts, Chrysler sent them a brand new crate motor.

I contacted Chrysler and gave them the VIN for the car through the customer care and they couldn't release any info to me since the car was brand new and the dealer still owned it, but in a round about way he said he would have no problem buying that car with the information he read about iut he said he would have no problem buying that car for himself after seeing what had to be done and reassured me the engine was new.

The car has less than 30 miles on the odometer so I'm going to check it out on Sunday and see how she drives. I'll keep everyone updated

·
Registered
357 Posts
I’d rather have a replaced engine than a repaired engine.

My only concern would be the resale value. So negotiate a little extra off on the front end and negotiate an extended warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
669 Posts
How much cheaper is the car? Are they selling it for new price? I wouldn’t touch it unless it had a big discount. I’ve worked in dealers and repair shops for 40 years. All the bolts never go back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They're discounting the car handsomely and I think I'm going to lease the car with the purchase to buy at the end to give myself some sort of exit plan in case the car ends up having problems down the road.

I contacted Chrysler and provided them the VIN to see if they could tell me what repairs had been done to it. Since its a unsold vehicle they wouldn't release the details to me. Fortunately the guy who was helping me understood the concerns I had so he looked at all the notes and said he would have no problem buying that car for himself, but that I should try to negotiate the price.

I'm going to check the car out tomorrow and take it for a test drive so crossing my fingers. Might try to negotiate the extended warranty in the deal too!

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
How much cheaper is the car? Are they selling it for new price? I wouldn’t touch it unless it had a big discount. I’ve worked in dealers and repair shops for 40 years. All the bolts never go back.

"All the bolts never go back", that was a good one, and on point. Think i'd pass...

HOT ROD ON...

·
Registered
860 Posts
I would NEVER buy a late model like this with ANY engine work done. There are a BUNCH of these available around here that are in mint, original, low mileage condition.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem, these engines are simple to pull or install, I've done several 5.7 cars and it's basic. If it runs good and the price is right why not. Not like they cracked it open, it's a crate engine...

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
"All the bolts never go back", that was a good one, and on point. Think i'd pass...
I respectfully disagree.
I just finished doing a top end job on a Honda V6, necessitated by a broken timing belt. (Bent a bunch of valves.)
Considering all the bits and pieces that had to be removed, compared to just swapping an engine, I would venture to say that it was probably more complex - or at least as complex. Just not as physically intense.
I completed the job with no bits or pieces left over. It can be done. It all depends on the amount of care taken by the individual tech. (I should mention that I do Telecom for a living. Mechanics is my hobby.)
The fact that it was a "factory new" engine, as opposed to a rebuild, would be encouraging to me. If they're going to sweeten the deal substantially, I would be inclined to go for it.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I respectfully disagree. I just finished doing a top end job on a Honda V6, I completed the job with no bits or pieces left over. It can be done. It all depends on the amount of care taken by the individual tech.

Should be no issues at all when your doing the job, I totally agree with you completely. With the right service manual and having all the technical data on hand, it should be a fun project, if you have the time, right tool, and skills to complete the repair. That being said, it's the last part of your statement that I have always had problems with when it came to anyone working on my cars, in most cases there was always a negative issue that came to light. This has always been my position in past post and with good reason. I could tell stories that would amaze anyone regarding idiots posing as mechanics that I have had the misfortune of dealing with in my early years. At that point, I did all restorations, builds, tuning and was my own crew chief at the drags. Now, I'm back where I started, almost knowing nothing and relying on extended warranties that I hope I never have to use. I'm sure like anything else in this world, there are competent mechanics out there but I have only came across a few.

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright everyone I have a update for you!

I went and test drove the car today and the engine sounded great and had no issues. I checked under the hood and inspected for any issues with the paint and there where a couple of light scratches, but to be expected and gave me more negotiating power!

Ended up getting a better deal than I anticipated and had a smile from ear to ear all the way on the 100 mile drive home. I went with a lease just in case something does go wrong, I can hand the keys back to Chrysler!

I appreciate everyone's input and I'll keep you posted if anything goes wrong down the road!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Congratulations on your new hot rod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
15 Participants
fyrdude
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing