Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2018 PCP Challenger Scat Pack w/dynamics
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so yesterday I decided to pull the trigger on some kooks longtube headers with the catless midpipes. The total cost was just over $1800, and man, I’m excited but am also feeling some buyers remorse. The reason I decided to pull the trigger, is because I’m doing a road trip up to Iowa to visit my grandparents. My grandpa has always been a hotroder, and owns a massive shop which includes: tools for fabrication, paint booth, lifts, and basically every tool known to man. I’m sorry if this question has been asked countless times, and I know it’s subjective, but people who have had them installed, were they worth it overall? The pros for me is: spending time with my grandpa working on the car together, hp gains (with the tune ofcourse), and a very loud exhaust setup. I appreciate the input!

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,513 Posts
I don’t have the upgraded headers like this, so take my comments with a grain of salt obviously:

Are they going to be worth it? Eh, yes and no...probably more on the no side it sounds like.

If you’re just going off performance gains alone, the $1800 price for parts alone is definitely not worth it. However, any seriously upgraded LX with a Hemi will need this mod, so if you plan on continuing to mod for more power, this is an essential mod that will have to be done sooner or later...might as well do it now, right?

Then there is the value you mentioned of spending time installing them with your grandfather. That’s tough to assign a dollar value to, but it’s likely pretty close to priceless, so that definitely pushes the average back toward the “worth it” side.

At the end of the day, as long as you didnt do anything stupid like pawn your mom’s wedding ring or cash in your kid’s college fund to come up with the $1800, then the relatively high cost for parts isn’t so bad.

You gotta pay to play in this day in age. Just make sure you aren’t working 2 shifts and eating bologna just to make the internet payments on the credit card used to make the purchase. It’s never a good idea to leverage yourself to that level, especially over car mods. 🤓

Reactions: Freddy's challenger

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t have the upgraded headers like this, so take my comments with a grain of salt obviously:

Are they going to be worth it? Eh, yes and no...probably more on the no side it sounds like.

If you’re just going off performance gains alone, the $1800 price for parts alone is definitely not worth it. However, any seriously upgraded LX with a Hemi will need this mod, so if you plan on continuing to mod for more power, this is an essential mod that will have to be done sooner or later...might as well do it now, right?

Then there is the value you mentioned of spending time installing them with your grandfather. That’s tough to assign a dollar value to, but it’s likely pretty close to priceless, so that definitely pushes the average back toward the “worth it” side.

At the end of the day, as long as you didnt do anything stupid like pawn your mom’s wedding ring or cash in your kid’s college fund to come up with the $1800, then the relatively high cost for parts isn’t so bad.

You gotta pay to play in this day in age. Just make sure you aren’t working 2 shifts and eating bologna just to make the internet payments on the credit card used to make the purchase. It’s never a good idea to leverage yourself to that level, especially over car mods. 🤓
thanks for the input! Yeah so I’ve thought about it, and the only additional performance mod I’ve considered is possibly a cam down the road. But I’m not planning on adding a blower or anything like that. It’s certainly a bag of mixed emotions lol. Thankfully I didn’t have to take out any loans or put myself in an uncomfortable position financially, but the $1800 price tag is certainly painful. I got out of college about 5 months ago, got a good job as a software engineer, but this purchase definitely put a dent in the savings lol. I’ve looked around the forums on different brands of headers, but it seems the general consensus is you get what you pay for. And it sounded like arh and kooks were the best fitting / quality headers. I was just shocked to see how expensive the midpipes were as well. But hey, like you said, you gotta pay to play with the big boys.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey guys, so yesterday I decided to pull the trigger on some kooks longtube headers with the catless midpipes. The total cost was just over $1800, and man, I’m excited but am also feeling some buyers remorse. The reason I decided to pull the trigger, is because I’m doing a road trip up to Iowa to visit my grandparents. My grandpa has always been a hotroder, and owns a massive shop which includes: tools for fabrication, paint booth, lifts, and basically every tool known to man. I’m sorry if this question has been asked countless times, and I know it’s subjective, but people who have had them installed, were they worth it overall? The pros for me is: spending time with my grandpa working on the car together, hp gains (with the tune ofcourse), and a very loud exhaust setup. I appreciate the input!
I would have tried to find them used and also you really need a few mods to make it worth something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
216 Posts
Ditto what Nuke said. Pretty much agree with all of it.

If it's not breaking the bank to get the headers, performance gains aside, your situation with your grandpa and his shop make it more than worth it IMO. I'd have zero remorse if I was in your position.

I still have the memory of installing headers on my old Ram in a garage with my best friend at the time back in 1995. Heck, I'd of paid $2000 back then for that experience. Having to unbolt the engine and raise it up to get the drivers side in, forcing it back down denting in one tube, wrapping the headers before hand and itching for weeks afterward from the fiberglass, and most of all the sound of the rumble when we first started it up once we were all done.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,172 Posts
Damn, $1800 for headers?? For that you can get an E85 conversion, tuner, and unlocked PCM.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ditto what Nuke said. Pretty much agree with all of it.

If it's not breaking the bank to get the headers, performance gains aside, your situation with your grandpa and his shop make it more than worth it IMO. I'd have zero remorse if I was in your position.

I still have the memory of installing headers on my old Ram in a garage with my best friend at the time back in 1995. Heck, I'd of paid $2000 back then for that experience. Having to unbolt the engine and raise it up to get the drivers side in, forcing it back down denting in one tube, wrapping the headers before hand and itching for weeks afterward from the fiberglass, and most of all the sound of the rumble when we first started it up once we were all done.
yeah that’s what really makes it worth it to me. A few years ago, I actually bought him some longtube headers for his corvette. Although it was a royal PITA to install those suckers, it was a fantastic experience forsure!! Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn, $1800 for headers?? For that you can get an E85 conversion, tuner, and unlocked PCM.
yeah it was very expensive. A big piece of it was the midpipes, I looked around but had a hard time finding them for much cheaper. I also looked to find a set used, but not much luck there. But even seeing old posts, they still seemed to want 14-1500.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,172 Posts
yeah it was very expensive. A big piece of it was the midpipes, I looked around but had a hard time finding them for much cheaper. I also looked to find a set used, but not much luck there. But even seeing old posts, they still seemed to want 14-1500.
If it makes you happy its worth it and that's priceless.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,172 Posts
Ditto my Mopar brother in purple!!

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,172 Posts
Curious, are you keeping the active exhaust? I'm thinking of doing Flowmaster mid mufflers and the Khaos eliminator kit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Curious, are you keeping the active exhaust? I'm thinking of doing Flowmaster mid mufflers and the Khaos eliminator kit.
thanks man!! And I'm honestly not too sure. I've thought about it, but I feel like its nice to have at times. I actually tried that little trick where you pull fuse 36 right after you cold start to keep the valves open. I didn't really notice a huge difference. But that's also because I'm always driving around in sports mode with a lead foot lol. Thats one reason why my gas mileage is so horrible, I average around 10 mpg 😄

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
436 Posts
Yes worth it. Hopefully gramps can help cut down on the install cost.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,777 Posts
I think Grandpa will be the one to ask if it's worth it...after they are installed ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think Grandpa will be the one to ask if it's worth it...after they are installed ;)

A Guy
lol, very true! I bet it will be a yes! I’ll start up a post logging the experience with plenty of pictures 💯😎

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,565 Posts

And what's wrong with bologna? Hmmmm?

yeah that’s what really makes it worth it to me. A few years ago, I actually bought him some longtube headers for his corvette. Although it was a royal PITA to install those suckers, it was a fantastic experience forsure!! Thanks for the input.
Anything that you can do together with your Grandpa is priceless!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts