Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
What is the price of the car without tax, title, fees or trade in? I think you can get a new left over 2017 for 35K without all those options. That damage would be a no go for me.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,038 Posts
Oh and the dealer claims the car was babied by the owner and he is a car guy with umpteen cars and so on. And they had no idea the car had this damage. So I assume it was made while in their possession after the car was traded in - on an HC from what they are saying.
Everything a dealer tells you is intended to get you to buy the car ASAP and to pay as much for the car as possible.

All cars are "babied" by their previous owner. And the car could be brought to you in flames and the dealer employees would have no idea the car was on fire.

Ask for any service records. You don't need to know the previous owner's name but the dealer should be able to tell you when the car was in for service and for what, if it was serviced at the selling dealer. If it was serviced at another dealer have the selling dealer call the other dealer for that information.

General rule of thumb regarding car depreciation is the car depreciates 10% from the dealer's cost the minute the new car is driven off the lot.

Then every year when the next year's models come out the car depreciates another 10%.

Back on Dec. 17 I bought a new 2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack with a sticker of over $46K for $40090. Out the door the car was $44430.10. (CA sales tax is 9.75% where I live.) At $36850 out the door for a 2015 model (which is going on 4 years old) with obvious body/bumper damage seems a bit high.

And with any damage showing you don't know what's going on underneath. With no inspection/rough estimate by a body shop to go on assume a new bumper cover is needed along with new plastic panel or plastic panels to replace any showing signs of damage. Back of the envelop my estimate would be $2000.

Bottom line is I think you could get the car for less, if you want the car with the damage.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Everything a dealer tells you is intended to get you to buy the car ASAP and to pay as much for the car as possible.

All cars are "babied" by their previous owner. And the car could be brought to you in flames and the dealer employees would have no idea the car was on fire.

Ask for any service records. You don't need to know the previous owner's name but the dealer should be able to tell you when the car was in for service and for what, if it was serviced at the selling dealer. If it was serviced at another dealer have the selling dealer call the other dealer for that information.

General rule of thumb regarding car depreciation is the car depreciates 10% from the dealer's cost the minute the new car is driven off the lot.

Then every year when the next year's models come out the car depreciates another 10%.

Back on Dec. 17 I bought a new 2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack with a sticker of over $46K for $40090. Out the door the car was $44430.10. (CA sales tax is 9.75% where I live.) At $36850 out the door for a 2015 model (which is going on 4 years old) with obvious body/bumper damage seems a bit high.

And with any damage showing you don't know what's going on underneath. With no inspection/rough estimate by a body shop to go on assume a new bumper cover is needed along with new plastic panel or plastic panels to replace any showing signs of damage. Back of the envelop my estimate would be $2000.

Bottom line is I think you could get the car for less, if you want the car with the damage.
Absolutely, that price was for a car WITHOUT body damage. Tell them fix the car or adjust the price to reflect body damage. This may be a blessing in disguise. Go work it!!!!

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Doesn't seem like a very good price, but that color is rare and sought after now so that's a factor. Like others have noted, brand new ones are just too cheap to pass on right now IMO.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Yeah, don't let your emotions drive your decision. Dealers across the country have way more stock than they want or know how to deal with. Get on CarGurus.com and see what else you can find. See if that car is listed, and what they say it's worth. That damage may seem minor, but it could cost you a couple grand to get fixed. Get the value from kbb.com, nada.com, and Edmunds.com. See what they say. Get a carfax, or at least look at the reports at https://www.vehiclehistory.com/vehicle/land.php and see what you can find about the history. Ask the dealer to show you the multi-vin report, so you can see the maintenance history. Take the car to a couple different body shops to get estimates on the repairs.

Make a reasonable offer, if you decide you still want the car, with the repair costs in mind. Be willing to walk away, and keep looking. Actually walk away if they aren't reasonable. Challenger prices have plummeted in the last couple years, and they know it. Don't fall for any of their tricks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am awaiting the rebates to increase on 2018s. but for sure you can get a great price for a 2017 sitting on the lot but you would have to be less picky about it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. This is why I posted this. Im going to pass. I beat up the dealer on both my trade and the new car last night for like 4 hours. They are not willing to give me a cup of water at this point let alone do anything about the car's damage. They specifically told me today that they would rather not sell it to me, but they will honor the deal for now. I laughed when the salesman wanted to cut the call off because "another customer came in". I can tell they are all in on both sides.

So Im going to pass. I will try to find a new one, but my budget is only $37k and thats including a trade that I owe money on. So I doubt new would work. Im considering camaros too.....

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
950 Posts
I bought a brand new leftover 2016 October of 17 for just under $38,000 with a sticker of a bit more than $46,000.

Without knowing all the variables on your other car and the pay-off, it's hard to answer this question.

You're asking "Is 32 + X = 37 good?" Take X out of the equation and you'll have your answer.

I've seen used Scats going below $30K lately.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,038 Posts
Thanks guys. This is why I posted this. Im going to pass. I beat up the dealer on both my trade and the new car last night for like 4 hours. They are not willing to give me a cup of water at this point let alone do anything about the car's damage. They specifically told me today that they would rather not sell it to me, but they will honor the deal for now. I laughed when the salesman wanted to cut the call off because "another customer came in". I can tell they are all in on both sides.

So Im going to pass. I will try to find a new one, but my budget is only $37k and thats including a trade that I owe money on. So I doubt new would work. Im considering camaros too.....
A car dealer that would rather not sell a car to a buyer sitting in front of him is about as likely as pigs flying.

Everything a dealer tells you is intended to get you to buy the car ASAP and to pay as much for as possible.

The general rule of car buying is to buy the best example of the car you want, can find, can afford. Also, generally used car buyers are mostly focused on price and condition, condition and price. Sure, just because one finds a good car at a good price but is ugly as sin doesn't mean one buys the car, but price and condition are at the top of the list.

But unless you absolutely have to have a green car I think you can find a better car. Even if you have to have a green car I think you can at least find one without any damage.

·
Registered
274 Posts
There are lots of low mileage "garage queens" out there in pristine condition. Be patient and you will find one eventually, Lots of Scat pack and SRT 392 owners are looking to trade in for a Hellcat, lots of Hellcat owners are looking at Demons, and so on.
I would not settle for a banged up one.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
To the OP, that looked like a sweet car.

Figure at least $800 for the bumper cover and paint. The grill surround looks like it needs replaced too. I have no clue to the cost of that, but you would definitely be in 4 figures to fix this minor mishap.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i would wait till you pay off your current car or have more cash.
This!!

Here In Toronto they have a couple of 17 SRT demos with less than 100kms on them that are selling for 13K off sticker price. It's not my choice of colors plus I would wait a bit more to pay of my outstanding balance on my car then save a little bit more on a downpayment.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

https://www.stcharlescdj.com/inventory/new-2016-dodge-challenger-rt-rwd-2d-coupe-2c3cdzbt8gh329844

Just something to look at.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So Im getting back into the game. Found a sublime green 15 with 7k miles. Its loaded with nav, roof, a8 and all the heated/cooled toys. Car is clean and perfect accept for the front bumper. It got bumped, pretty hard it looks like. See the pics below. The bumper has what looks to be one of the tabs broken that snap into the under side of the black fascia that goes around the headlights. The black grille/fascia itself is cracked slightly, and there is an impression from the inside out on the lower part of the front bumper. All the body lines to the hood and fenders line up. But the plastic bumper look like it took a good nudge. Not a smack, otherwise the paint would be cracked.

The car is at $36850 out the door. Thats with me trading in a car and paying it off, plus taxes and so on. Aside from the front bumper cosmetic issues, the car is perfect. What are the opinions on this? Its the cheapest one per miles and year that I could find. Im set to pull the trigger today on it after work. But Im still just a tad torn on the damage, and cost to fix. Plus what could be damaged behind it...
Naw man don't get that sublime green with dents on it. Go get you a 17 or 18 like everyone else said they have rebates on 18s and they damn sure trying to get rid of the 17s. Go on Cargurus.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Horrible deal. That’s a $30K out the door car, tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
That car was not babied by a little old lady or a high end collector. Someone wrecked it and traded it in. There is no way that a dealer, "used car manager" missed that kind of damage when it was traded in.

You received your blessing of the day by not getting roped into that horrible deal. Pay off your debt and then go shopping. There is nothing worse than trying to dig out of a negative equity hole.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts