Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been mustang lover all my life unroll I drove this car... so... What tuner do you recommend? I hear alot about jonah tunes.. What do i need to use him? And what are the must have to start? Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey. As a scat pack 16 owner i would like to share few things. Power : 485 hp and tons of torque. With a PCM+ CAI intake you could gain 10hp for about 1000$ .
I have installed a CAI and have notice no difference (bit 3° air intake temp) . is it worth it? Probably not.
What I think is important is to trasfer this power on the ground. So first thing bigger tires( on a9 inch wheel you can go with 275, not bigger)
Second thing I would do( and I actually foing these days): increase the corner handling. tower bars(easier to install) ,and sway bars definetely limit the roll on the (heavy) car.
Lowered springs (and if you ready to spend more, better and lower coilovers) will improve dramatically the stability.
Remember scat pack as already an 1\2 inch drop compare to standard RT challenger( and got good suspension with Bilstein high performance).
And then as many more expert guys would say: sky is the limit.
Hope it helps
Fly

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the pcm a canned tune or custom. In my mustang I plug tuner into computer downloaded custom tune and plugged into stang and programmed.. same deal with challenger?

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
692 Posts
A 2017 will need an unlocked PCM. Diablo sells tuners with unlocked PCMs as a package. You can also send your PCM to have it unlocked if you can wait. After that it is the same as a Mustang for loading tunes.

Dodge dialed the Scat Packs to 11 from the factory, so the power gains are hard to come by until you start making large changes. Cam or forced induction with a tune is where it gets serious.

Good tires will be the best bang for the buck otherwise. Not much traction on all-season 245s.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,244 Posts
As stated above you will need an unlocked PCM. As for a specific tuner I'd personally go with the Trinity, I've had a couple Diablo tuners and so far it's by far my favorite. I like it's layout and ease of operation over the Intune, but that may just be a matter of opinion. In any case either should work well for you.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
A 2017 will need an unlocked PCM. Diablo sells tuners with unlocked PCMs as a package. You can also send your PCM to have it unlocked if you can wait. After that it is the same as a Mustang for loading tunes.

Dodge dialed the Scat Packs to 11 from the factory, so the power gains are hard to come by until you start making large changes. Cam or forced induction with a tune is where it gets serious.

Good tires will be the best bang for the buck otherwise. Not much traction on all-season 245s.
Totally agreed the tires will be the biggest upgrades, yet the best bang for the buck till you open your wallet on some real expensive mods.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
What tires y'all recommend? Is it not worth getting CAI and tuner?
It depends on the region you're in - whether you drive year round or not for tire recommendations.

The 275/40 20 tires will gain a lot more grip.

IMO, an unlocked PCM and tuner are going to run ~ $900 for the less expensive tuner and for what little gain, not worth it for a stock engine.
-plus you have to go through a throttle re-learn procedure (not a DIY operation). And your warranty would be flagged as the dealer can see the disparity when PCMs are swapped back / forth.

Sport mode will turn up throttle response and modifies the A8 shift parameters with the OEM tuning.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Dodge is not as mod friendly as Ford. Cracked PCM and tune with these will put any warranty claims on powertrain under scrutiny for the life if your factory warranty. A tune for $1,000 is not worth the 10 or 12 HP gain IMO. Now if you decide "hell with the warranty" like many have done, getting into long tubes, cam etc. is reasonable excuse to do a tune. Tires first my friend.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
Dodge is not as mod friendly as Ford. Cracked PCM and tune with these will put any warranty claims on powertrain under scrutiny for the life if your factory warranty. A tune for $1,000 is not worth the 10 or 12 HP gain IMO. Now if you decide "hell with the warranty" like many have done, getting into long tubes, cam etc. is reasonable excuse to do a tune. Tires first my friend.
Hear hear!

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
A custom email tune will get you about 20-25hp. The canned tunes suck. If you're going to bother tuning the car, get a custom tune from Johan (diablotoona) or Sean (hemifever).

You don't have to buy all new stuff. You can buy used stuff from the forum here. I picked up a used Trinity and PCM off of here and then got a Hemifever tune all for about $775. Brand new that stuff will cost you around $1000-1100.

CAI is a waste of time. Just get a hellcat airbox. It's the best setup for the money.

Best mod you can do is get some real tires on the back. If it's not a daily driver, get some M/T ET Street S/S 275/40/20's on the back of your stock 20x9 rims. If it is a daily driver, you'll want to maybe look at a Nitto tire or at a minimum a 275 width street tire. These cars make a ton of power down low and are geared very aggressively, so you need some rubber to put the power down.

These cars can hit mid 11's with just wheels, drag radials, tune, and a few basic bolt ons.

·
Registered
632 Posts
With a tune you can kiss your warranty good bye. Do you really want to do that on a brand new car?

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
692 Posts
A custom email tune will get you about 20-25hp. The canned tunes suck. If you're going to bother tuning the car, get a custom tune from Johan (diablotoona) or Sean (hemifever).

You don't have to buy all new stuff. You can buy used stuff from the forum here. I picked up a used Trinity and PCM off of here and then got a Hemifever tune all for about $775. Brand new that stuff will cost you around $1000-1100.

CAI is a waste of time. Just get a hellcat airbox. It's the best setup for the money.

Best mod you can do is get some real tires on the back. If it's not a daily driver, get some M/T ET Street S/S 275/40/20's on the back of your stock 20x9 rims. If it is a daily driver, you'll want to maybe look at a Nitto tire or at a minimum a 275 width street tire. These cars make a ton of power down low and are geared very aggressively, so you need some rubber to put the power down.

These cars can hit mid 11's with just wheels, drag radials, tune, and a few basic bolt ons.
Are there dyno runs out there that show that 20-25hp gain? I know the ETs improve with a tune, but I thought it was more from removing the torque management on shifts and adding timing down low, not a peak power increase?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so I got a 2015... I have a question... in connect it shows heated seats ventalated seats and heated staring wheel... which ever I turn on ... it lights up for bout 3 seconds and turns off... Help please

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Ok so I got a 2015... I have a question... in connect it shows heated seats ventalated seats and heated staring wheel... which ever I turn on ... it lights up for bout 3 seconds and turns off... Help please
My '16 would shut the heated steering wheel down after a few seconds - heated / vented seats worked normally.

There was a service campaign for a software reflash that corrected it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nothing wirks..heated seats wheel or ventilation... I also notice in in connect setting for auto on.. if I put to off it goes right back to all start

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Nothing wirks..heated seats wheel or ventilation... I also notice in in connect setting for auto on.. if I put to off it goes right back to all start
I'm wondering if you had a uConnect update that was downloaded recently? There have been some instances of some systems not working.

I'd probably have the dealer check to see if there's any updates or error codes to determine what might resolve the issue.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
I just bought car few hours ago...
I can understand it can be frustrating but I'd take it back to your dealer and have them check with your uConnect that may not be updated yet, or at least there's some code error. Easy fix it should be. Keep us posted! We want to ensure everyone's a happy Challenger owner here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I gotta find a dealer lol .. I got from a mini dealer... I knew more bout the care then anyone there... but I get why tires are inportant.. I roasted mine lol.. good times...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts