Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying a 2009 SRT with very low miles?
Hey guys besides the tires being 10 years old Any known issues buying a 2009 SRT with under 1000 miles on it? Thanks

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Ask when all of the fluids were last changed. That, with the tires you already mentioned, would be my primary concern. How often was it started/driven? How old is the fuel in the tank? That may need a cleaning before even trying to start it.

I know there most likely is more, but that's what came off the top of my head.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has 2019 eagle F1’s and was used by the orig Owner weekly for 10 years .
Like cruise night stuff.
I doubt there is a need for trans and rear fluid change as my 1970 RR probably has its orig gear fluid

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
It has 2019 eagle F1’s and was used by the orig Owner weekly for 10 years .
Like cruise night stuff.
I doubt there is a need for trans and rear fluid change as my 1970 RR probably has its orig gear fluid
Well, you did say the tires were 10 years old in the OP. If it was constantly used weekly, probably not much needs to be done.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea well I thought someone would definetly mention old tires that’s how the fast and furious guy died

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,110 Posts
If the tires are 10 years old, then the TMPS might be too. And the cars battery? Ten year old brake fluid? Even if low miles

A Guy

·
Registered
15,925 Posts
The HVAC usually takes a beating in long term storage so prepare for A/C troubles if it's not being used enough.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,727 Posts
Buying a 2009 SRT with very low miles?
Hey guys besides the tires being 10 years old Any known issues buying a 2009 SRT with under 1000 miles on it? Thanks
The biggest issue is the car is 10 years old and still "new", with just 1K miles. If the car develops any new car issues there is no warranty.

Can you trust the odometer? 1000 miles in 10 years is 100 miles a year. 100 miles a year is 8.3 miles per month. 8.3 miles per month 2 miles per week.

That low of usage is very bad for an engine. The oil never gets up to temperature. This can be mitigated somewhat by oil changes but I'd be surprised if the owner changed the oil at all over 10 years let alone every 6 months.

If the car was used even if just once a week that might -- might -- be sufficient to prevent the seals from drying out and shrinking. When they do this they leak.

The tires are probably original and a rule of thumb is for "high performance" tires 6 years is the life span.

Brake fluid I bet has never been flushed/bled. Probably a good amount of water in the brake fluid -- this absorbs water from the air even if the car is not being driven/used -- and this tends to end up in the lowest area of the brake system which is the calipers. While you can -- and should -- do a brake fluid flush/bleed you can't undo what degradation the hardware has suffered from being exposed to every increasing amounts of watery brake fluid over the years.

Bottom line is you are really just getting 10 year old car that happens to have low miles. On the surface it can look like a good thing but cars really do not do well with very low usage.

The buyer will almost certainly ask a premium price for the "low" miles but unless the buyer is comfortable watching the car's value fall like a stone dropped in water as he drives the car the rate of depreciation can be quite painful.

Add to this the very good chance either new car issues or issues from the car's lack of use/servicing come up and have to be dealt with the car may not be quite what a buyer had hoped it would be.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Let's hope it still doesn't have the original battery.

·
Registered
15,925 Posts
Probably does, original oil and tires too.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, Watch Paul walker great guy
The biggest issue is the car is 10 years old and still "new", with just 1K miles. If the car develops any new car issues there is no warranty.

Can you trust the odometer? 1000 miles in 10 years is 100 miles a year. 100 miles a year is 8.3 miles per month. 8.3 miles per month 2 miles per week.

That low of usage is very bad for an engine. The oil never gets up to temperature. This can be mitigated somewhat by oil changes but I'd be surprised if the owner changed the oil at all over 10 years let alone every 6 months.

If the car was used even if just once a week that might -- might -- be sufficient to prevent the seals from drying out and shrinking. When they do this they leak.

The tires are probably original and a rule of thumb is for "high performance" tires 6 years is the life span.

Brake fluid I bet has never been flushed/bled. Probably a good amount of water in the brake fluid -- this absorbs water from the air even if the car is not being driven/used -- and this tends to end up in the lowest area of the brake system which is the calipers. While you can -- and should -- do a brake fluid flush/bleed you can't undo what degradation the hardware has suffered from being exposed to every increasing amounts of watery brake fluid over the years.

Bottom line is you are really just getting 10 year old car that happens to have low miles. On the surface it can look like a good thing but cars really do not do well with very low usage.

The buyer will almost certainly ask a premium price for the "low" miles but unless the buyer is comfortable watching the car's value fall like a stone dropped in water as he drives the car the rate of depreciation can be quite painful.

Add to this the very good chance either new car issues or issues from the car's lack of use/servicing come up and have to be dealt with the car may not be quite what a buyer had hoped it would be.
This guy definitely owns a repair shop please flush your brake fluid for $189 when you don’t need to break masters is famous for that if you can’t do these three do at least these two!
Wow everybody seems to be Hating on this car you’re right it’s probably a big piece of crap. Lol
But if it was anyone of you guys cars it would be the ultimate!
give me a break! the brake fluid is fine the air in the tires is fine if you read it I told you it has 2019 Eagle F ones on it If I didn’t now you know there’s
nothing wrong with that car
I’ve started cars up that were sitting 30 years old with 30 year old oil and they ran beautiful.
Original brake fluid and All lol.
Get the popcorn this should be interesting.

·
Super Moderator
16,669 Posts
Things to check for - known to be problematic with age / time
-HDD in touch screen still functional
-touch screen works
-no dark spots in gauge cluster
-cracks in rocker trim
-key fobs work with all functions and push-button start works

and yes change the brake fluid - if you checked it out, the fluid is dark in color; it has absorbed moisture and that in turn can cause corrosion in brake system parts and the very $$$ ABS system parts as well. [I flush the brake fluid every two years in all my vehicles]

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,727 Posts
Yes, Watch Paul walker great guy

This guy definitely owns a repair shop please flush your brake fluid for $189 when you don’t need to break masters is famous for that if you can’t do these three do at least these two!
Wow everybody seems to be Hating on this car you’re right it’s probably a big piece of crap. Lol
give me a break! the brake fluid is fine the air in the tires is fine if you read it I told you it has 2019 Eagle F ones on it If I didn’t now you know there’s
I’ve started cars up that were sitting 30 years old with 30 year old oil and they ran beautiful.
You are woefully misinformed about brake fluid.

Brake fluid is most certainly affected by exposure to air and the moisture in it and a result should be flushed and bled every so often. At the risk of being accused of bragging I let the brake fluid go 2.5 years in my Boxster. I was not aware of this being distracted by other things but finally I took the car in for a grabby clutch and and a crunchy shift. The SA looked up my car's service history and noted it had not had a brake fluid flush/bleed for 2.5 years and advised me to get this done before anything else.

I followed his advice and the transformation afterwards was remarkable. Why the brake fluid flush/bleed affected the clutch and transmission? Because the clutch hydraulic system shared fluid with the brake hydraulic system. While as best I could tell the brake system was unaffected -- at least operationally -- by the past its change date fluid the clutch action and as a result of the clutch the shifting were certainly affected.

Just had my MINI JCW brake fluid flushed and bled and this included the clutch hydraulic system. Afterwards in just a block or two I could note the improvement in how the clutch pedal felt and how I was once again able to get smooth engagement from the clutch. This had been going a bit downhill and I half believed there might be a clutch problem.

I missed that the car had new tires on it.

I get a kick out of those who report having started a car that had been sitting for 30 years and gee whiz there were no problems at all.

If you are so experienced with cars that have sat a while why bother to post a question about this particular car after it having sat little used for just 10 years? Just pay whatever the seller in asking and and drive the car and enjoy it. After all you appear to be the expert in old cars that haven't been used that much.

I am not a fan of a car that has sat unused for good while or even just been used very little over a good while.

Back in 2009 I bought a 2003 MY car with just under 10Kmiles. The car was pristine and had its 6 year old tires replaced. I checked and the car had received reasonable servicing over the years in spite of its having been driven just 1667 miles (on average) per year for 6 years. Over the 150K miles I put on the car the RMS leaked, the front diff axle flange seals leaked, the hydraulic spoiler system leaked, the radiators leaked, the water pump developed a leak, the transmission leaked, even the rear view inside mirror leaked. While I bought the car for less than half its MSRP it was no bargain.

·
Registered
15,925 Posts
Haha hilarious!

Your first post you had questions, now you have all the answers!

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
09 S/C SRT 13K miles with zero issues. There were two factory recalls for that year, one for the hot restart failure, solved by replacing the battery with a higher amp unit along with a couple of larger gauge negative ground cables. The second being the driver and passenger side airbag replacement. Change out the old antifreeze along with a few of the issues mentioned above and you should be good to GO...

HOT ROD ON

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,110 Posts
You asked, take it or leave it. No one is hating, we love the car, but 10 years old is 10 years old. No one said it was garbage and stay away.

A Guy

Reactions: wantonebad09

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You are woefully misinformed about brake fluid.

Brake fluid is most certainly affected by exposure to air and the moisture in it and a result should be flushed and bled every so often. At the risk of being accused of bragging I let the brake fluid go 2.5 years in my Boxster. I was not aware of this being distracted by other things but finally I took the car in for a grabby clutch and and a crunchy shift. The SA looked up my car's service history and noted it had not had a brake fluid flush/bleed for 2.5 years and advised me to get this done before anything else.

I followed his advice and the transformation afterwards was remarkable. Why the brake fluid flush/bleed affected the clutch and transmission? Because the clutch hydraulic system shared fluid with the brake hydraulic system. While as best I could tell the brake system was unaffected -- at least operationally -- by the past its change date fluid the clutch action and as a result of the clutch the shifting were certainly affected.

Just had my MINI JCW brake fluid flushed and bled and this included the clutch hydraulic system. Afterwards in just a block or two I could note the improvement in how the clutch pedal felt and how I was once again able to get smooth engagement from the clutch. This had been going a bit downhill and I half believed there might be a clutch problem.

I missed that the car had new tires on it.

I get a kick out of those who report having started a car that had been sitting for 30 years and gee whiz there were no problems at all.

If you are so experienced with cars that have sat a while why bother to post a question about this particular car after it having sat little used for just 10 years? Just pay whatever the seller in asking and and drive the car and enjoy it. After all you appear to be the expert in old cars that haven't been used that much.

I am not a fan of a car that has sat unused for good while or even just been used very little over a good while.

Back in 2009 I bought a 2003 MY car with just under 10Kmiles. The car was pristine and had its 6 year old tires replaced. I checked and the car had received reasonable servicing over the years in spite of its having been driven just 1667 miles (on average) per year for 6 years. Over the 150K miles I put on the car the RMS leaked, the front diff axle flange seals leaked, the hydraulic spoiler system leaked, the radiators leaked, the water pump developed a leak, the transmission leaked, even the rear view inside mirror leaked. While I bought the car for less than half its MSRP it was no bargain.
Well I think a boxster that shares brake fluid with a gear box is totally diff than a challenger and a mini good god they have tons of issues bad choice on that one.
Different animal all together
Not sure what your 2003 was
That you bought in 09 but if it was anything like the other two buttes you bought go figure.
Thanks for the opinions but every body has one.
Brake Fluid change
I love it. LOL
Oldest scam I. The book

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,110 Posts
The Challenger manual shares the brake fluid with the gearbox

A Guy

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Challenger manual shares the brake fluid with the gearbox

A Guy
Wow, I had no idea i better get that done ASAP!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts