Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I'm buying a used Challenger.
3 must haves...
1) Shaker Hood 2) Sunroof 3) 6 Speed
Hoping for a '15, '16 or '17
I've done some research on the Dodge website
I guess I don't really care what model it is, it's just that cool Hood Scoop I'm after.
I'd like the biggest engine I can get - 392... right?
It seem I need to spend $30,000-ish, I'm god with that.
How does the Scat Pak or SRT fit into all this?
It's kinda confusing.
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is very confusing. I have a 2017 RT Scat Pack Shaker 392. It has the SRT 6.4L 495HP engine, but it does not have adaptive suspension, and brake performance is subpar compared to SRT 392. However, aesthetically it is much better looking than the SRT trim IMHO. The shaker hood is very sexy, and the I love the classic Challenger emblem*on the grille. To this day it makes me mad that the Shaker is considered to be an RT trim, but that doesn't stop you from knocking down the RT trim on the grille and buying an "SRT scat pack" emblem ;)

It is a matter of what you are looking for.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
First off, the 392 has 485hp (probably a typo on the previous post). Absolutely nothing wrong with an R/T badge since that is where all the performance Challenger heritage comes from; the shaker is a throwback look as is the R/T badge. All shakers are R/Ts whether it's a 345 (5.7L) or the 392 (6.4L). If you get a Scat Pack with the 392, it comes standard with a suspension that is the equivalent of the SRT's Sport mode. The manual (M6) transmission is a must with a shaker in my opinion since you can really control the engine torque and shaker movement with a stick. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but all 5.7 shakers used to come with Super Track Pak (STP) standard which includes a stiffer sport suspension and the performance pages for the touch screen interface inside the cabin. There are a lot of factors that play into pricing but it may be difficult to find a 392 Shaker for $30k. Best of luck and let us know what you find.

Reactions: Drewdlecam

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
It is very confusing. I have a 2017 RT Scat Pack Shaker 392. It has the SRT 6.4L 495HP engine, but it does not have adaptive suspension, and brake performance is subpar compared to SRT 392. However, aesthetically it is much better looking than the SRT trim IMHO. The shaker hood is very sexy, and the I love the classic Challenger emblem*on the grille. To this day it makes me mad that the Shaker is considered to be an RT trim, but that doesn't stop you from knocking down the RT trim on the grille and buying an "SRT scat pack" emblem ;)

It is a matter of what you are looking for.

Have to disagree on two fronts. The Scat pack brakes are 4 piston brembos the SRT is 6 piston, the 4 piston is not sub par to the 6 piston, 6 piston is better no doubt. reality is youll never realize the full potential of the 6 piston brembos. Secondly SRT is new, the RT badge is a lot more historic and has some more meaning. I would take a gander that really only dodge fans or those really up on cars understand what SRT is vs RT.

But like you said its all what you are looking for.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,718 Posts
3 must haves...
I guess I don't really care what model it is, it's just that cool Hood Scoop I'm after.
It's kinda confusing.
Thanks
Personally I don't think a sunroof belongs on a Shaker. There is absolutely no confusion with my 2014 Limited Edition Shaker, and it came with all kinds of cool features, and it has the 5.7 liter Hemi in it. I'm fine with that. If you want the 392, you'll have to get a Scat Pak.

Reactions: Viole(n)t

·
Registered
184 Posts
You will need to look for an RT Shaker or a Scat Pack Shaker. The RT Shaker would be the 5.7 liter Hemi and the Scat Pack Shaker would come with the 6.4 Hemi.

The RT Shaker starts around $37,000 and the Scat Pack Shaker starts around $42,000. Of course, you can look for a used Challenger and find either one in your $30,000-ish range. Either route you take, you can't lose. Both power levels are fun as can be, and you can't beat the old school look of the shaker. Best of luck with your shopping!

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
3 must haves...
It's kinda confusing.
Thanks
You probably will spend more like mid 30s as a starting point as there weren't a lot of '15 392 Shakers built - they came along late in the year.

There'll be more '16s / '17s and the prices will be a bit higher due to newer model and lower miles.

As they were more expensive due to the Shaker package and items that were bundled in with that trim - many were optioned up as dealer stock.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just bought a 2015 Shaker Scat Pack 6 speed car with only 3400 miles on it for $34,500.00.
Finding a 392 Shaker car for $30,000.00 will be tough unless it has higher miles on it.
I love mine!

·
Registered
116 Posts
bought a left over 2017 5.7 (25 miles on it) last fall. $33K (shaker option free and basically paid base price)

5.7 shaker 2017 M-6 sounds great with Active Exhaust the 2015 and older don't have.
Performance pages are not standard, mine is 5.0 radio and only has traction on/off and Sport mode buttons with steering comfort/sport/normal modes. Mine had 1 other $295 option of perf brake pads. To get perf pages you need the 8.4 radio.
Shakers are also clearcoated paint in the engine bay.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have to disagree on two fronts. The Scat pack brakes are 4 piston brembos the SRT is 6 piston, the 4 piston is not sub par to the 6 piston, 6 piston is better no doubt. reality is youll never realize the full potential of the 6 piston brembos. Secondly SRT is new, the RT badge is a lot more historic and has some more meaning. I would take a gander that really only dodge fans or those really up on cars understand what SRT is vs RT.

But like you said its all what you are looking for.
The body control of the Shaker falls short to expose the limitations of the stock brakes. Trust me, coming from someone who drove SRT 392 the extra pistons makes a difference compared to the Shaker. I'm working on modding my brakes on the Shaker next.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
The body control of the Shaker falls short to expose the limitations of the stock brakes. Trust me, coming from someone who drove SRT 392 the extra pistons makes a difference compared to the Shaker. I'm working on modding my brakes on the Shaker next.
nah. The SRT brakes are better, but 4 pistons are inferior that's the wrong term.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
When you are used to the big brakes, I can see how the 4-pistons may feel inferior...first world problems LOL. Let's hope this guy never drives a normal car or he will be running into everything!

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
756 Posts
The four piston Brembo brakes on Scat Packs are more than adequate for any street driving and adequate for moderate track driving. While they are not as robust as the 6 piston Brembos on SRT's, they are far superior to the vast majority of brakes available on new cars. Anyone who cant manage a car with 4 piston Brembos on the front probably shouldn't be driving a car.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
The Challenger is a heavy car. Bigger brakes just make sense. If you can get 'em.....you should.

Do you need them?

Hard to say........if you take a pass on them........ if you ever rear end someone........I guess you'd have to break out the measuring tape to find out.

Truth be told though......if you don't drive like a moron you're probably safe enough.

I like my big 6 piston brakes but they don't protect me much when I'm driving my Ram Truck that weighs more than a challenger and has breaks that are LESS CAPABLE than the 4 piston Brembos on Challengers that don't have the brake upgrade.

Bottom line: Even standard brakes on the Challenger will stop faster than most of the SUVs and Pick up trucks that dominate the roadway today.

...and even the top of the line up brakes on my TA aren't really "top notch" vs the size of the car. Computer controlled and impressive looking.....the weight of the car still won't allow them to stop as fast as the 40 year old car next to it my garage that wears BONE STOCK 4 piston brakes on each corner and without the benefit of any computer assistance.

In any car the most important factor in braking success is the driver.

Drive like an ass and you can crash anything with the very best brakes.....drive with common sense and an understanding of what you are driving you're highly unlikely to over-whelm the ability of your vehicle to stop safely.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
The four piston Brembo brakes on Scat Packs are more than adequate for any street driving and adequate for moderate track driving. While they are not as robust as the 6 piston Brembos on SRT's, they are far superior to the vast majority of brakes available on new cars. Anyone who cant manage a car with 4 piston Brembos on the front probably shouldn't be driving a car.

That's the truth. If one is driving "in control" on the street, and you have a problem with the stopping power of 4 piston Brembos in any situation, 6 piston units aren't going to help you at all.

That "bang and clunk" sound is just nano seconds away. Brakes don't help, more less fix "stupid". LOL

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I just bought a 2015 Shaker Scat Pack 6 speed car with only 3400 miles on it for $34,500.00.
Finding a 392 Shaker car for $30,000.00 will be tough unless it has higher miles on it.
I love mine!
Wow! Great find. CAN NOT beat a Shaker. Then the R/T hood, then those bubble things... IMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
What he said..... not on the street. I would not want the 6 piston for street use.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts