Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Please please please take the oil dipstick and a clean paper towel and wipe it . If you see metallic or black that comes off thr dipstick walk away. I made a terrible decision buying a 2015 srt 392 and I figured the oil was just dirty, nope it was bearing material. Whole motor is trashed at 50k. When I pulled the oil filter and cut it opened the real reason why it was for sale appeared. Drive the chllenger around for a few hundred miles before you buy it. Make sure no codes were just cleared before you showed up to buy it .

Just don't want a mistake to happen to you like what happened to me :(
Also, back in the day I ran into an issue where after a rebuild my dipstick was rusty and the oil looked creamy. Mine was a blown head gasket. Could also be a cracked block. Run away!

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Shaker
95 Posts
I keep records for everything on all my vehicles and I keep it all stored in my OneDrive. When I sell the car, I provide a USB drive with all the records. (most of the work I do myself and I include copies of receipts and a quick note on what I did and why). It helps me get top dollar on resale. Basically, if you buy it from me you'll get an "Apex Certified Pre-owned".

Hopefully, there are some service records on it.
I'd check to see if any recall services where done, if they didn't get those serviced for free, I wouldn't trust they had paid regular service on it.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T - Billet Silver
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Please please please take the oil dipstick and a clean paper towel and wipe it . If you see metallic or black that comes off thr dipstick walk away. I made a terrible decision buying a 2015 srt 392 and I figured the oil was just dirty, nope it was bearing material. Whole motor is trashed at 50k. When I pulled the oil filter and cut it opened the real reason why it was for sale appeared. Drive the chllenger around for a few hundred miles before you buy it. Make sure no codes were just cleared before you showed up to buy it .

Oh man... sorry to hear that

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I've been a Challenger fan for a long time and I've finally decided to do something about it... I've located at 2016 R/T Shaker 6M with around 36K on it. Is there anything I should be on the look out for? 36K isn't much on a car, but the dealership is about 1.5 hours from my house and I want to make the most out of my visit.

Thanks in advance!
I have a 2016 Challenger R/T with shaker with 36K on it and the only thing I've done is replace the tires. The factory "supercar" tires were bald at 25,000. The car still drives and rides like new. At 36K hopefully it hasn't been beat up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well; first it will need a clutch, factory clutch is close to a 100lb nightmare and one disk is riveted in so you have to buy a whole new assembly. beware that second gear may be trashed, it has a strange double syncro that makes fast shifting hard so it crashes , vice sliding in. aka grinds alot. Also the rear end will whine like an unpaid hooker after it gets HOT. I had four of them screamers, its annoying as heck, and stereo cannot cover it up. Make sure its not lunched.

·
Registered
146 Posts

A few...hundred...miles?? That's a hell of a test drive!

41 - 46 of 46 Posts