Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have not been able to make the numbers work on the new Challengers I've looked at for 10 months. Can't get enough money out of two classic cars, bank account empty, son going to college in fall, etc. Had to let several beauties get away from me at the local dealer (plum 6 speed Classic with black side stripe, Mopar 10, deep water classic with black, etc., etc.). I'm now looking at a used (3,500 miles) R/T 6 speed. Salesman being vague, but I think it is a repo. Drove like really good "times" (don't want to be tossed off on my 2nd post), looks good except two exterior blemishes. But I don't want someone else's castoff. Have no way of knowing how he treated it. Plus, the dealer let me drive it way too easily. Wanted me to take it home overnight. I,m afraid this thing has been wailed on. Still, I want to give a very hardball offer just in case. Have already mentioned $24,000, and they didn't laugh me out of the place, but I think they were just being polite until I came to my senses. Has Sunroof, navigation. Any advice on used? Walk away? Offer less than $24K, more? Does the warranty transfer? What are most common problems coming from wailing on this engine, and tranny? Their sticker used is $35 k, offered me at 32.8K. It needs to a fantastic deal, like a miracle, for me to get it used. So what price or condition advice is out there?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yeah, and it has this bad indentation/scratch on quarter panel, with really sloppy paint touch up. Yeah, my house looks like that, but not my cars. Wondering who would have a car like this 6 months, have a flaw like that in the first place, and then slop on bad touch-up paint. Gives me the creeps, but I can get over it if the price is right.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I definitely would not buy a used RT for over $25k.

Look at cars.com. There are plenty of RTs for around that price.

To be honest, if I were you I'd wait a little longer and wait til the 2011 models start hitting the lots. When that happens the dealers will have to lower the price on the older models to get them off the lot.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
After reading your 2nd sentence, I have to wonder why in the world are you looking to buy another car, especially one that is at least $24K by your best estimate?

·
Registered
301 Posts

To be honest, if I were you I'd wait a little longer and wait til the 2011 models start hitting the lots. When that happens the dealers will have to lower the price on the older models to get them off the lot.

Good luck.
+1, the prices lowered for the 6 speeds in the '11 models as well. So keep that in mind.

·
Registered
348 Posts

Professor, no offense, but why have you been so down on the values of R/T's? Are you just saying all of this to try and get guys on here to lower their prices, given that you initially wanted an SE?

$25k is a smoking deal, depending on the options. What options does this R/T have- leather, sunroof? For a cloth 6-speed, $24k is probably a bit low, but $25 probably wouldn't be bad. For a leather car with that mileage, probably looking at at least $25.5 or 26, with the scratch.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
You might check on how much that body work will cost to fix right. I've heard that paint for our cars is really high. at least that's what they told me about my DWB.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Professor, no offense, but why have you been so down on the values of R/T's? Are you just saying all of this to try and get guys on here to lower their prices, given that you initially wanted an SE?

$25k is a smoking deal, depending on the options. What options does this R/T have- leather, sunroof? For a cloth 6-speed, $24k is probably a bit low, but $25 probably wouldn't be bad. For a leather car with that mileage, probably looking at at least $25.5 or 26, with the scratch.
Pretty funny to watch people beat down values when they are buying but if they are selling they are worth SO much more.

I would say more, but it will help no one.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, for the info so far.

Why buy another car? I thought this was a muscle car site. Never saw that said before on the classic car sites! But seriously, that is a good point. With my previous cars, I could get neat vintage cars for several thousand dollars. This is a new concept, where the targeted car is new or near new and over $20k, and not to bought on a lark. I'm pursuing downsizing in my stable, since I don't have time for the old cars anymore. So by selling either 2 or 3 vehicles, it starts making more sense on both the downsizing and upgrading ends. I am antique dealer, so I'm not liquid at all at the moment, but I do have resources to shuffle.

Thanks folks for some specific numbers, although I know such numbers can always be debated. The car does have sunroof and Nav. They say it is leather, but it was cold and dark, and I need to take another look. The dealer also keeps claiming it is a Classic, which it is not, so I need to keep an eye on everything they say. I know I am low right now, but don't want to move higher in the offer until I know where I have to stop. I think I am in good position to wait them out...I don't think this particular car is an easy sell for this particular dealer and area.

I'll check the leather claim, and look up the options. Thanks for the advice on the paint, I suspected it might be high.

If anyone cares, in their back lot I saw two toxic orange 2011 Classics (?), just delivered. Very close to the old turrbine bronze.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
here's one good reference point for an 09 and 010. Don't pay attention to the "SE" in the link, just click on it and change it to R/T and fill in the options. Also ask for a carfax on the vehicle. You have to tell us what the car is and has before we can tell you what a fair price is. You didn't even tell us what year. Hope that site can help you, good luck.

2009 Dodge Challenger SE Prices with Options

2010 Dodge Challenger SE Prices with Options

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, silly mistake by me - it is a 2010, first registered in July. I know it has the Nav and sunroof mentioned earlier. They say it has leather but I was paying attention to other things, so I have to go back to confirm. I'm still looking at new window stickers to figure the packages. I had been looking at stickets for 6 months, but realize now I wasn't retaining as much as I thought. I have to go back and check the wheels again, and figure what packages it may have had.

thanks for the web links, I'm looking through that. I can see I need to up my offer quite a bit if I want it now, but I think I have to let them sit on it a while. With age, I have finally learned patience. As long as they are still making more, I can bide my time a little.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've learned a lot from online window stickers in the last 24 hours. The 2010 R/T used car I am looking at has the manual, heated seats (is not a Classic, but has the short Dodge hood stripes), and has the sunroof and Nav. The dealer claims heated mirrors and leather seats, although I did not check these. I did not check the whole sound system, but from the common packages I see on stickers with some of these options, I guess this car had a roughly $40K sticker price. DWB paint also. Dealer is only at $32.9K, I am at $24K. The dealer also happens to have remaining 2010 new stock. I assume convential wisdom would say I should come up $3K or $4K for a 4000 mile car.

I didn't hear anyone say whether they would trust a used car for the abuse it "might" have had, but curious if anyone has had any experience (such as buying used and then finding clutch, engine, or transmission problems).

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've learned a lot from online window stickers in the last 24 hours. The 2010 R/T used car I am looking at has the manual, heated seats (is not a Classic, but has the short Dodge hood stripes), and has the sunroof and Nav. The dealer claims heated mirrors and leather seats, although I did not check these.
I don't believe that the heated seat option was offered on the cloth seats, but I may be wrong. And if it has leather seats, then it also has the headed mirrors that came in the J package.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I would look for curb rash on the rims, and check the tires and wheel wells to see if the previous owner had burnt out the original tires. Tires with 3000-4000 miles shouldn't look bad at all under normal use. If tires on this car are brand new (as in replaced) or are a complete mess, I'd be a bit cautious.
Unfortunately, it's kind of tough trying to figure out if someone really "beat" on their car. Not that its any consolation, but when buying a new car off of the lot and it has a few miles on it, then chances are very good that it has been "beat" on by every test driver. Best of luck to you.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
40 would be high if not a Classic. If it has heated seats, it is leather. The Nav and sunroof bumped up the price a bit. Might have Chrome Clads for wheels. Then it would be around $38 or 9 maybe. Anything in the hight 20's would be a good buy, like 28. Like they said, shop around. If someone buys it from under you, they probably paid more than you would of, so get the next one. 30,000 are made each year. Don't rush. Get the car you really want.

·
Banned
557 Posts
As a point of reference I just bought a 2010 RT 27F package (6-speed, Track Pack, cloth, satellite radio, etc - pretty much a basic stick shift) for $26.9k. It was brand new. Sticker was $33k.

From what I've seen, the loaded 2010's (still new on dealer lots) are going for $7-8k off sticker. With a $40k sticker, that is loaded. So theoretically you should be able to buy a brand new one in that price range for $32-33k. Take away $4-5k for mileage, being used and the scratch and you are still in the $27-28k range.

So for a loaded RT, I think $24k is a low ball offer they won't accept. But you have reservations and if that is all the car is worth to YOU then make the offer and see if they bite. If not, no big deal. Walk and find a car you feel good with and buy that one instead. I know you are excited to get into one, but honestly quit forcing it or you will make a bad decision -- at least that has been my past history.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I wanted to belatedly thank everyone for the advice, across the board. First, I got an antique car sold and to the new owner, then waited for my son's tuition info to come in, and also thought long and hard about our family vehicles, what my kids needed, and whether to trade in or just add a car. Next, I didn't get to antsy on the used car, and kept my cool. I used all the info provided on the thread to consider the value of the used car, and compare against 2010's left on the lot. The one dealer was getting close to my price range, and had a black with red fender stripe RT that was getting close. But I went to another dealer and found what is essentially a new identical twin to the used one I was considering. The window sticker was $39.165K for a DWB with 45 test drive miles, 6 spd, sunroof, black fender stripes, full media and NAV, the works on the stereo and the 20-inch chrome clad wheels. $9K came off the sticker in the offer to me, and when I couldn't get any more room on the sticker, I told them I needed a decent interest rate to swing it. They called the next day with the rate that worked, and I got the car. This ends up being under the price of the used one, and essentially the same car, without the miles, so all my concerns were washed away. I learned a lot about the option packages along the way, so again, I thank you all. It turns out the used model was at a reasonable retail used price for what it had, but now is not the time to get a retail priced used 2010 when there are discounted new ones. I hope others who are real tight on their budget are as lucky as I feel, getting something nice from the last choices of 2010s that fits their goals.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
i dont know why anyone would consider a used 2010 right now when new left overs are so dirt cheap...good job on the new car...

i took my test drive up to 100 mph....so you can bet alot of others did too...buying a performance car used means its got a chance of being beat on every day of its life

i wouldnt buy a scratched car...why would a dealer even put a $30k car on its lot w/ a scratch

i see alot of people asking more for used RT's & Srt's than you can get left over new ones for...the market has dropped pretty low because of all the leftovers

·
Registered
348 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! Enjoy it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts