Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I will be buying my first ever V8 vehicle. I got offered a really good deal on a Challenger R/T 2019 Plus edition, Super Track pak, Drivers convenience group, 8 speed auto in a pitch black color. I have never owned a V8 before. "Fastest" I ever owned was a 06 Eclipse GT. I know most of you all will say "why not buy the Scat". The thing is, I went a little over my budged with this one even with 2019 clearance rebates, plus insurance for a Scat is way high from where I live, so Scats are out of a question. I want to know how was your experience owning a 5.7? Is still a fun car even if its not a Scat? How does it feel compared to previously owned vehicles? Can you feel the V8 power or is not worth it like most folk say?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,712 Posts
Greetings all,

I will be buying my first ever V8 vehicle. I got offered a really good deal on a Challenger R/T 2019 Plus edition, Super Track pak, Drivers convenience group, 8 speed auto in a pitch black color. I have never owned a V8 before. "Fastest" I ever owned was a 06 Eclipse GT. I know most of you all will say "why not buy the Scat". The thing is, I went a little over my budged with this one even with 2019 clearance rebates, plus insurance for a Scat is way high from where I live, so Scats are out of a question. I want to know how was your experience owning a 5.7? Is still a fun car even if its not a Scat? How does it feel compared to previously owned vehicles? Can you feel the V8 power or is not worth it like most folk say?
No Dodge 5.7l experience, but I "felt" the V8 power in my Z28 with a 5.7l 310hp engine. And before that in my Mustang GT with a 4.6l 215hp engine.

The 2019 R/T comes with 372hp. I think you'll feel the power. And have fun.

But be careful. Things can go from "fun" to #%&@ed up in quicker than the blink of an eye.

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
Congratulations!

The R/T is an awesome Challenger and much nicer than what a lot of people have. It has plenty of get up and go, it's beautiful, the interior is great, and the ride is smooth! It is a great building platform if you decide to mod it down the road. 372hp is a lot of horsepower plenty for daily driving that is for sure.

Enjoy and post some pictures once you get you Challenger.

- Alexis

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No Dodge 5.7l experience, but I "felt" the V8 power in my Z28 with a 5.7l 310hp engine. And before that in my Mustang GT with a 4.6l 215hp engine.

The 2019 R/T comes with 372hp. I think you'll feel the power. And have fun.

But be careful. Things can go from "fun" to #%&@ed up in quicker than the blink of an eye.
Why do you say it can turn "#%&..." in a blink of an eye?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,310 Posts
The 5.7 has some umph but in stock form its power level is totally manageable and predictable on the street. It's not like a hell cat where if you sneeze while taking a turn on a rainy you can find yourself in ditch.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,313 Posts
Youll have plenty of fun in your R/T and there is certainly enough power there to get you into trouble. There is no mistaken that you have a V8 when you drive it.
You can always add mods to make more power or simply make it your own, or eventually work your way up to a scatpack or HC if thats your desire. best of luck.

Reactions: Speedlogix-Sales

·
Registered
‘74 Duster 360 4M
656 Posts
I like to think of the 5.7 R/T as similar to the 340 Challenger of 1970. Sure, the big blocks were faster, but they cost more, too. But the 340 was nothing to sneeze at, and I don't think the 5.7 is either. The analogy kind of breaks down when you look at the '70 E-Body options were the 340 was only 100 or so HP behind the big blocks and now the the top dog Challenger can more than double the HP of the 5.7, but things change and always will.

And the reality is, a 5.7 R/T isn't far off some of the big dog Mopars of the Golden Age. Based on one set of spec's I saw recently, a '67 GTX with a 440 is considerably slower than my car (0-60; 6.6 vs. 5.1 and 1/4; [email protected] vs. [email protected]) and not far off the vaulted Hemi GTX of the same year (4.8 and [email protected]). Truthfully, I've never seen a 5.1 0-60 in my car, but my best is still significantly faster than the published number for the 440 GTX.

My 2015 R/T is the fastest car I own (including my 360 4 speed Duster), and is probably the fastest car I have ever driven, if not the second fastest. Could it be faster? Sure. Could I afford a car that is faster? Probably not wisely. So I try and enjoy a fast car and not worrying about who is faster.

Besides, for the $13K difference between my car and an SP ($10K difference in value plus TAX), I think maybe someday I could keep up. And when that day comes, I can say I built mine while they had to buy theirs. ?

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
If this is the car you want, then go for it. The Scat with the 6.4 engine needs 93 octane gas, which is another factor if this car is going to be your daily driver. I rented an R/T a couple of years ago when I was on vacation. You can get great gas mileage on the Highway when the MDS kicks in.

Reactions: 5.7_vega

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mine is only a 2012 rt but instill love getting into it and hearing it and going down the road feeling it..yea there is more hp mopars for sure but you will not get bored driving it trust me...im as much excited driving it now than the day i purchased it..i had it since march of this year!!! Sobtrust me you will enjoy it and yes you can feel it...over all ridea great handlea nice..
received_2937476232945873.jpeg
received_2412898878824186.jpeg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greetings all,

Absolutely a fun car to drive, plenty of power. You can really get on it and it can be scary or you can drive it with enthusiasm which is fun, or you can drive it lazy. Any way you drive it, it is a great car. As others have said, great interior, great looks, sounds fantastic, super ride. I had a Camaro 6.2 liter and this 5.7 is sooo much better IMO...Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
The 5.7 has some umph but in stock form its power level is totally manageable and predictable on the street. It's not like a hell cat where if you sneeze while taking a turn on a rainy you can find yourself in ditch.
Ditches aren't the only thing one has to watch out for:

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,310 Posts
That is a risk with any car. Heck I can do a brake torque burnout with my liberty. If you are asking for trouble like that guy was then it's your own dam fault.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
That is a risk with any car. Heck I can do a brake torque burnout with my liberty. If you are asking for trouble like that guy was then it's your own dam fault.
Yes. While it never happened my 90hp VW Golf TDi could have killed me if I hadn't respected even its 90hp.

Just wanted to reinforce that the OP needs to be aware he's no longer driving an Eclipse GT which has about half the HP and half the torque of the 5.7l R/T.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,912 Posts
Greetings all,

Out of curiosity....have you actually driven the car yet? I’d imagine if you have that you’d still be displaying a fairly nice grin on your face after the test drive....

The 5.7L is a somewhat maligned engine with a decent amount of folks here on Challenger Talk. The 5.7L was newly introduced into the Dodge Ram pickup segment in 2003, and has been on Ward’s 10 best engines list 2003 through 2007 and again in 2009, amongst some decent competition. My first experience with a 5.7L was in a brand new 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited AWD.

Regardless of trim level, overall Challengers handle well and are fun to drive. Living in southeastern Kentucky, few roads are straight, and even fewer are level. Crooked, winding roads with some mountains make for some fun driving experiences. My T/A has all the power I (or my 18 year daughter) needs for the area we live in. Lots of times I am almost more impressed with the handling, braking, steering input, and overall “feel” of the car on these roads near home. With that being said, they cruise nicely on the interstate, too. The A8 really shines, whether you’re on two lane curvy roads or the interstate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Out of curiosity....have you actually driven the car yet? I’d imagine if you have that you’d still be displaying a fairly nice grin on your face after the test drive....

The 5.7L is a somewhat maligned engine with a decent amount of folks here on Challenger Talk. The 5.7L was newly introduced into the Dodge Ram pickup segment in 2003, and has been on Ward’s 10 best engines list 2003 through 2007 and again in 2009, amongst some decent competition. My first experience with a 5.7L was in a brand new 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited AWD.

Regardless of trim level, overall Challengers handle well and are fun to drive. Living in southeastern Kentucky, few roads are straight, and even fewer are level. Crooked, winding roads with some mountains make for some fun driving experiences. My T/A has all the power I (or my 18 year daughter) needs for the area we live in. Lots of times I am almost more impressed with the handling, braking, steering input, and overall “feel” of the car on these roads near home. With that being said, they cruise nicely on the interstate, too. The A8 really shines, whether you’re on two lane curvy roads or the interstate.
The car that I test drove was a V6 Challenger. Ive always been in love with the look so I decided to go for the V8 which there was one in Germany and it's in transit to Italy at the moment. So I have not test drove a V8 yet.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,912 Posts
The car that I test drove was a V6 Challenger. Ive always been in love with the look so I decided to go for the V8 which there was one in Germany and it's in transit to Italy at the moment. So I have not test drove a V8 yet.
The 305 hp 3.6L Pentastars are a great little engine, too. The daughter’s previous Challenger was a beautiful 2016 B5 Blue SXT Plus.
7C83F8F2-1083-4377-96C6-490317148F38.jpeg

·
Registered
822 Posts
Greetings all,

Sounds like you are getting a real nice car. I'm sure you will enjoy the V8 torque and rumble!

It pains me to say this (;)) but the A8 is the trans to have behind the 5.7 engine. Its a good combo.

Reactions: 5.7_vega

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,988 Posts
I can only say that it is a fun car to mod, and I'm getting mine close to where I want it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts