Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger 2020 plus Blacktop Edition
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m looking for information to install in 2020 Challenger Blacktop 5.7 replica wheels 20x9 with 275/40/20 front and 20x10 with 305/35/20 rear
Maybe is better 275/40/20 front and 295/40/20 rear
If somebody knows about this please let me know

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
361 Posts
The first setup your back tires will be shorter than the front. Your second setup the rear tires will be taller than the front. People have done both, neither is right or wrong, just preference.

What is your goal? That will dictate what is a better setup for it needs

If your looking for better lateral traction at launch, while width does play a roll, tire compound is often more important than width. You also want to make sure the wheel width matches the recommended width of the tire so you get the correct contact patch.

If your concern is cornering stability I would go 275/40/20 all around (you can fit most tires that size on a 9” wheel, but 9.5” would be better) and get a high quality summer tire (there are a lot of summer tires that handle well in rain despite being labeled a summer tire) or DR.

If your just going for looks then do what you think looks best.

My suggestion, go with a high performance tire @ 275/40/20 on all corners. It’s the most simple setup. Going to a 295 width in the rear will not yield noticeable better lateral traction but might upset the balance when cornering.

But I’m one to talk, I went 275/40 in front and 315/35 in the back. Cornering stability is the same but launch traction is way better, but I think it’s more to do with a stickier tire.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first setup your back tires will be shorter than the front. Your second setup the rear tires will be taller than the front. People have done both, neither is right or wrong, just preference.

What is your goal? That will dictate what is a better setup for it needs

If your looking for better lateral traction at launch, while width does play a roll, tire compound is often more important than width. You also want to make sure the wheel width matches the recommended width of the tire so you get the correct contact patch.

If your concern is cornering stability I would go 275/40/20 all around (you can fit most tires that size on a 9” wheel, but 9.5” would be better) and get a high quality summer tire (there are a lot of summer tires that handle well in rain despite being labeled a summer tire) or DR.

If your just going for looks then do what you think looks best.

My suggestion, go with a high performance tire @ 275/40/20 on all corners. It’s the most simple setup. Going to a 295 width in the rear will not yield noticeable better lateral traction but might upset the balance when cornering.

But I’m one to talk, I went 275/40 in front and 315/35 in the back. Cornering stability is the same but launch traction is way better, but I think it’s more to do with a stickier tire.
I put Mopar springs stage1 “do the 315/35 wheels hit the fender?”

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
361 Posts
I put Mopar springs stage1 “do the 315/35 wheels hit the fender?”
I put 6mm spacers on to keep from rubbing. My tires will fit without spacers if I were to remove the fender liner, or better yet use a heat gun to reshape them. Without the spacers it rub along the bottom inner part of the fender liner, not the top, front, or back. I could lower my car a few inches before it would be an issue.

I’ve got a few hundred miles with the spacers on stock wheel studs and no problem thus far, and I drive very spirited. Issue is the tires do stick out a little. No rock chips yet. I do plan to mod the fender liner at some point to ditch the spacers. Otherwise I will need to add fender flares.

Also keep in mind the Conti. DWS 06 tires I have run wide. no manufacturer make tires the exact same size so a skinnier 315/35 might not need a spacer or fender liner modification. Depending on what tire you buy and the offset of the wheel, you might not need any modification or spacer. I’ve seen it online so I know it’s possible, I just don’t remember what wheels and tires they were.

I hope that all makes sense.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put 6mm spacers on to keep from rubbing. My tires will fit without spacers if I were to remove the fender liner, or better yet use a heat gun to reshape them. Without the spacers it rub along the bottom inner part of the fender liner, not the top, front, or back. I could lower my car a few inches before it would be an issue.

I’ve got a few hundred miles with the spacers on stock wheel studs and no problem thus far, and I drive very spirited. Issue is the tires do stick out a little. No rock chips yet. I do plan to mod the fender liner at some point to ditch the spacers. Otherwise I will need to add fender flares.

Also keep in mind the Conti. DWS 06 tires I have run wide. no manufacturer make tires the exact same size so a skinnier 315/35 might not need a spacer or fender liner modification. Depending on what tire you buy and the offset of the wheel, you might not need any modification or spacer. I’ve seen it online so I know it’s possible, I just don’t remember what wheels and tires they were.

I hope that all makes sense.
I live in Miami and I was checking in two Weels store and they recommended me 275/40/20 in front and 315/35/20 rear ,there is not problem with the fender but I need to make sure before take the decision,I love this setup
Thank you for your help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts