Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Charger driver is not a very good driver.

The C8's 8-speed dual clutch transmission makes the car much easier to launch. All the driver has to do is know how to put the car in launch mode and when to press the gas pedal.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
That Corvette is far cooler than any modern charger. When did a four door family sedan become cool?
Would the Buick grand national be cool if it had four doors? Not a prayer.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well that went how I figured it would but a little different the 2nd time. I really love mopar & the bad part I know is that everyone looks at us to say " it's to heavy" "all that power & it can't beat (insert whatever car u seen on YouTube that probably some didn't know what they were doing)". The fact is no one looks more at any other car then a challenger or mopar in general. Fastest production truck , fastest sedan , fastest SUV , holder of a track time crashing sports car that the Corvette is still trying to keep up with (viper rip ... for now ) , the only production car company to have a car to pull the front tires the ground & this isn't the 1st time , having a car band from some sanctioned NHRA events & the list goes on & on. I talk to more ford & chevy owners every day that would own a challenger over brand X any day of the week. One owns a Ford junk yard & loves Ford. I would not own a Ford & definitely not a Chevy because things like the challenger, charger, viper, ram truck, Durango & ram van exist.

So show me your videos of what look like some one toppling the mountain. Looks can be deceiving & if it was a race between anything else but a mopar I don't think it would have half the views... I wander y. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
690 Posts
Well for close to 1000 lbs difference and everyone knows you can't launch a hellcat from a dead stop with stock tires. But it still wins in the 40 mph.

I'll still have both if I could not all cars are the same so idk how it's vs when there not in the same class.

If you like cars you'll like more then one for different reasons

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
I’ve owned them all and each has good and bad points. I cannot be loyal just to any one brand. I’m at car #49 currently and have had much fun over the years. If someone else is faster than me it doesn’t matter, high school was back in the 70’s.
With just about 500 horsepower in my car it’s plenty fast enough.

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
288 Posts
...When did a four door family sedan become cool?...
Is that some sort of car guy trivia question? :unsure:

Easy answer. 1994 Impala SS

No debate, it pales by today's standards. However, coming after the 80's decade of GM quality, which followed the 70's decade of emissions laws, it was a welcome breath of performance.

I remember a fun story from an Impala SS driver back in the day.... He was entitled to his choice of new vehicle for a company car. Asked his boss, "Four-door, American-made, is that okay?" Today's Charger answers that question nicely as well.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
That car was just as stupid, just like a marauder, they put a few ponies under the hood, a badge or two and still wasn’t cool. It still has 2 TOO many doors. My son has a marketing degree and said see with the right plan you can sell anything to anyone. I’m so happy I grew up when I did, it was a great time and we only got a trophy when it was deserved. Again my opinion only.

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
288 Posts
Actually the other way around. The Mercury Marauder in 2003-2004 copied the playbook from the 1994-1996 Impala SS.

No debate, both vehicles were functionally trim packages on the production line's service vehicle mainstay (police / taxi). The Impala SS was built on the 9C1 (police package Caprice) drive train. The 1994 9C1 did 143mph on the Michigan State Police's test track - with two officers, a half tank of gas, and a trunk full of gear. It had been 20+ years since law enforcement had that kind of performance in a sedan - harkening to the last big-block cruisers of the 70's.

Not knowing your generation....picture a typical 1990's kid, late GenX, early Millennial. The original helicopter parents, shuttling their offspring around. Most kids get dropped off in a mini-van. One gaggle of children gets dropped off in a Impala SS. Yeah, I'll maintain one group is cooler than the other. :cool:

It is interesting to reflect on the history of these vehicles. The 9C1 & 9C6 (taxi) were the core of Chevrolet's B-body production line, competing with Ford's P71 ('Police Interceptor' based on the Crown Victoria). It was all about contracts and the lowest priced bidder, leaving both manufacturers very little profit. When Chevrolet left the market in 1996, Ford immediately raised their price as the margins were so thin. In both cases, the manufacturer relied on the service vehicles to keep the production line operating. Ford was able to keep going until 2011 after GM's departure. True GM later re-entered with their FWD chassis, but it never made significant in-roads to the highway patrol market.

Fast forward to today. The Charger is a mainstay law enforcement vehicle, especially for highway patrol duties. However, Dodge has two other vehicles coming off the assembly line - Challenger & 300. A rhetorical question.... Would we be enjoying a 12+ year production run of Challengers if the assembly line wasn't also supported by these models? Or would Challenger have died a decade ago because its sales alone would not be enough to sustain the entire production facility?

So perhaps, we can agree the 4-door Charger is 'cool' for no other reason than it allows us to enjoy our Challengers? :sneaky:

-Eric

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,774 Posts
That car was just as stupid, just like a marauder, they put a few ponies under the hood, a badge or two and still wasn’t cool. It still has 2 TOO many doors. My son has a marketing degree and said see with the right plan you can sell anything to anyone. I’m so happy I grew up when I did, it was a great time and we only got a trophy when it was deserved. Again my opinion only.
Hopefully he doesn't go into the automotive industry. There hasn't been a full size 2 door since 1984, for a reason. And Every Charger/Impala SS owner (probably hundreds of thousands) not to mention 4 door AMG, BMW performance car would disagree. And not like the marauder, the marauder is like the Impala, only 9 years later. Which the Charger/300 made obsolete 2 years later.
That Charger vs Corvette is impressive on both sides. It has nothing (well, not as much) to do with hp alone, that is like saying the Corvette is a waste because a 150hp motorcycle can beat it.
Do a shuttle run, see which car can deliver 4 guys and their clubs/guns/food/fire-fighing gear/medicine... the fastest ;-)
If it wasn't for the SHAKER, I would have probably got a Scat Pack Charger, not a Challenger. Just because it has room for "family" and doors to make it easier to use, detracts zero from the car. (to me, and many others)
Like people that won't be caught dead owning a minivan, and instead have "SUVs" like a Acadia, or Enclave as example. Those ARE minivans with hinged instead of sliding doors, their ego is limiting their usefullness.
Sorry for the rant, but the Charger has the exact correct number of doors. Chrysler chose to make 4 versions of the same car. Initially aimed at replacing the Intrepid/Concorde/LHS with its huge interior.
  1. Wagon (2005)
  2. Near Luxury Sedan (2005)
  3. Sedan (2006)
  4. Coupe (2008)
If they would have named them all with new names, not throwback names. Nobody would comment on the Charger's looks or door count.
Do I wish they made a 2 door Charger, yes I do. But even more so, I wish they made a manual Charger.

·
Registered
937 Posts
C8. When you don’t know what to do next, get the disastrous C7 committee back together and make it look Italian.

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,173 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The tech difference between these cars is too big to make any reasonable comparisons.

The results are far from surprising. The better question is why do this comparison at all?

What's next a Jeep vs mini van hill climb?

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Hopefully he doesn't go into the automotive industry. There hasn't been a full size 2 door since 1984, for a reason. And Every Charger/Impala SS owner (probably hundreds of thousands) not to mention 4 door AMG, BMW performance car would disagree. And not like the marauder, the marauder is like the Impala, only 9 years later. Which the Charger/300 made obsolete 2 years later.
That Charger vs Corvette is impressive on both sides. It has nothing (well, not as much) to do with hp alone, that is like saying the Corvette is a waste because a 150hp motorcycle can beat it.
Do a shuttle run, see which car can deliver 4 guys and their clubs/guns/food/fire-fighing gear/medicine... the fastest ;-)
If it wasn't for the SHAKER, I would have probably got a Scat Pack Charger, not a Challenger. Just because it has room for "family" and doors to make it easier to use, detracts zero from the car. (to me, and many others)
Like people that won't be caught dead owning a minivan, and instead have "SUVs" like a Acadia, or Enclave as example. Those ARE minivans with hinged instead of sliding doors, their ego is limiting their usefullness.
Sorry for the rant, but the Charger has the exact correct number of doors. Chrysler chose to make 4 versions of the same car. Initially aimed at replacing the Intrepid/Concorde/LHS with its huge interior.
  1. Wagon (2005)
  2. Near Luxury Sedan (2005)
  3. Sedan (2006)
  4. Coupe (2008)
If they would have named them all with new names, not throwback names. Nobody would comment on the Charger's looks or door count.
Do I wish they made a 2 door Charger, yes I do. But even more so, I wish they made a manual Charger.
Exactly, they should have used a new name rather than ruin a great memory.
You know you can clone your dog, it will have many of the same attributes but it’s definitely not the same dog.
They should have left it alone. For my kids when they were small and I couldn’t afford a new full size crew cab truck so I bought a new minivan and didn’t give a crap about what anyone said or thought, the kids came first. Now I have the large 4 door truck, the Challenger and the kids both have new Wranglers so things happen best in the end.
to bad no more full size two door cars, our society has changed drastically since I was a kid and in my generation many/ most don’t think it’s for the better.
In reality the less people had the happier they were.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That Corvette is far cooler than any modern charger. When did a four door family sedan become cool?
Would the Buick grand national be cool if it had four doors? Not a prayer.
I hear what you’re saying & I’ve had 4 Camaros & a Vette. A 4-door may not look cool, but it’s not necessarily something to be ashamed of. Just today I picked up some food at a local restaurant & the young man who brought it out said I had one of the nicest looking Chargers he’s seen. Don’t know if it’s a “cool” car but several younger people have said they like the car.

How does one categorize an S7 Audi 4-door that does 0-60 in 4.1 seconds.& the quarter-mile in 12.5 seconds.

Years ago I would never have bought a 4-door performance car & I’m not sure what was even available back then. But things have changed & now there’s the 605 hp Audi RS7 4-door and similar cars from Mercedes or BMW. I think there's been a paradigm shift. IOW having 4-doors does not automatically equate to having a clunky family sedan. I think having a sleeker looking 4-door that kind of, sort of looks like a 2-door helps.

I think about getting a Challenger HC but I am happy with my Charger SP. We'll see...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts