Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Actually the other way around. The Mercury Marauder in 2003-2004 copied the playbook from the 1994-1996 Impala SS.

No debate, both vehicles were functionally trim packages on the production line's service vehicle mainstay (police / taxi). The Impala SS was built on the 9C1 (police package Caprice) drive train. The 1994 9C1 did 143mph on the Michigan State Police's test track - with two officers, a half tank of gas, and a trunk full of gear. It had been 20+ years since law enforcement had that kind of performance in a sedan - harkening to the last big-block cruisers of the 70's.

Not knowing your generation....picture a typical 1990's kid, late GenX, early Millennial. The original helicopter parents, shuttling their offspring around. Most kids get dropped off in a mini-van. One gaggle of children gets dropped off in a Impala SS. Yeah, I'll maintain one group is cooler than the other. :cool:

It is interesting to reflect on the history of these vehicles. The 9C1 & 9C6 (taxi) were the core of Chevrolet's B-body production line, competing with Ford's P71 ('Police Interceptor' based on the Crown Victoria). It was all about contracts and the lowest priced bidder, leaving both manufacturers very little profit. When Chevrolet left the market in 1996, Ford immediately raised their price as the margins were so thin. In both cases, the manufacturer relied on the service vehicles to keep the production line operating. Ford was able to keep going until 2011 after GM's departure. True GM later re-entered with their FWD chassis, but it never made significant in-roads to the highway patrol market.

Fast forward to today. The Charger is a mainstay law enforcement vehicle, especially for highway patrol duties. However, Dodge has two other vehicles coming off the assembly line - Challenger & 300. A rhetorical question.... Would we be enjoying a 12+ year production run of Challengers if the assembly line wasn't also supported by these models? Or would Challenger have died a decade ago because its sales alone would not be enough to sustain the entire production facility?

So perhaps, we can agree the 4-door Charger is 'cool' for no other reason than it allows us to enjoy our Challengers? :sneaky:

-Eric
Well said & a valid point.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The C8 is ugly.The C7 looked awesome.I wouldn't own either one.
MOPAR,!!!
funny
i never liked any vettte including the c7 but the c8 to me looks amazing
a cross of mclaren 570/458 ferrari
like i said it's a game changer and i've owned F cars and P cars over the years

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
224 Posts
The SP interior is black, black, black, & more black. The dash may not be hard plastic but sure looks it.

Civic's interiors actually come in different colors & sometimes determined by the body color. The lower part of mine is black but the headliner & pillars are light gray. What a breath of fresh air. And the dash has some trim that looks like brushed metal. Sounds cheezy, but it seems to add a touch of class. Not sure what it's made of but looks better, IMHO, than more black.

It's not just the Chargers, but a lot of cars I looked at had black interiors. Even if a manufacturer's "build-it" website showed different interior colors you'd be hard pressed to find these on a dealer's lot. Guess I just like something lighter.

Edit -
Just a thought, maybe the Civics you were in were entry level trim level models.
It was a newer SI, unsure of year. Wasn't that impressed. What I like about the Challenger is that it's ****-pit like (at least that's how it feels to me). But I understand that what one person considers "great", another might only think it's "good", or total s#!+. (For example: I think the GT350 is a great car, many Challenger SP owners strongly disagree despite it outperforming the Scat Pack in basically every performance aspects, it's faster and handles better. The argument is always that the Challenger is more comfortable, there for better, despite the fact that the conversation was about performance. Just opinions. I still prefer the SP over the GT350 for the reason that it is more comfortable, I just think the GT350 is also bad ass.)

And I like black with black and a splash of black with more black behind the black. 😋 I'm a rock/metal drummer, so go figure.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
224 Posts
funny
Here are the Corvettes that I like... C1 (all years), 1963 C2, C6 ZR1 and the 427 Convertible, C7 (all), and the C8 (all).

This just proves that many people have many different opinions. The issue is there are some who don't respect other people opinions and think they are the only one who is right. (it's called being a narcissist.)

I can respect that some people only like Mopar. I get it, Dodge is the epitome of American Muscle and [email protected]$$ Trucks. I would hope that those people can respect those who appreciate other brand for their performance and like the look of sports cars.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Back to the video.
o_OK,so what I see is the c8 is somewhere in the 11.2 range in the 1/4.The way he beat the Hellcat from the launch, the HC must have run like a 13.That was a pathetic excuse for a lauch,you could hear it in his RPMs.The torque of the Hellcat is hard to contain.
It would be interesting to see them both on drag radials.
They should run the c8 against the new Tesla.It might be an American sportscar.Or is it??..Do the batteries still overheat??Anyway I think they run low 10s now.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
funny
Got exposed to a Corvette (fastback model) way back when a guy whose father owned the motorcycle shop where I bought my first motorcycle spotted me walking home from HS and offered me a ride. His wife was in the passenger seat so I had to crawl into the area under the rear window.

He took off and after a short bit nailed the throttle. Most acceleration I've ever experienced prior to my Hellcat. I ended up in a ball jammed at the back of the car laughing my ass off. His wife was screaming bloody murder.

But I never came away with any real burning desire to own a Corvette.

While my 2006 GTO was a nice car and could have led me up the ladder to purchasing a Corvette after the way GM techs treated my GTO no way I'd ever buy any GM car let alone a Corvette.

But I like the C8. I like its looks, mid engine, and the transmission.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey,
four door cars became Cool when in 1993 Jon Moss experimented with the SS package. Then developed the 94 Impala SS.

GM management didn’t think it would sell. Mr. Vader, your car is ready. Then upgrades came in 95 and 96.

I love my SRT8 but at the same time. I love my 95 Impala SS. I like them so much I installed SRT8 seats in my 95 Impala. I’m not a corvette guy but damn, they are awesome cars. Corvette vs. Charger or Challenger, It’s not a fair comparison.

E35273FE-7B7E-43E8-A2E5-6E99A183EFA9.jpeg

41 - 50 of 50 Posts