Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really want to put a CAI on my RT for the looks and go ahead and tune it for 91 octane ( I use 93 anyway ). The problem is my wife drives the car as a daily driver and she aint going to let me make the exaust loud. Can I do the CAI and tune without an exaust? I also need to make sure the CEL won't be on with the mods especailly with the extra back pressure of the stock auto exaust. Thanks for any help and by the way R squareing the wife isn't an option.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Auto or 6 speed you'll like it if its an auto but not so much if a 6 speed. let us know what you do.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I don't have a preditor yet and here people talk about 91 tunes alot and didn't know about 93 and if 93 on the pump was truely 93 or if it was 92.5000000001 and that would mess up the tune.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Do it to it man, cai's got nothing to do with the exhaust, you won't get any lights with the 93 cai tune. I don't think you even need to tune for exhaust except with long tubes and cats.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more quick thing, Do I have to leave the predator hooked up or can I just dump the tune in and remove it? I know that sounds stupid but in my day a tune was changeing out the jets in your Holly and changing the timeing by a couple of degrees.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Ha I miss carb jets and timing lights too, it's real easy though you just plug it in with the car in the on position pick the preset tune let it load follow the on screen instructions, unplug it and your good to go. The first time you use it it will automatically save the stock tune on your car so you'll always have it to fall back on.

·
Registered
495 Posts
One more quick thing, Do I have to leave the predator hooked up or can I just dump the tune in and remove it? I know that sounds stupid but in my day a tune was changeing out the jets in your Holly and changing the timeing by a couple of degrees.
Life just got more complex. The Predator has stored three different
multi-dimensional maps for air, fuel timing based upon the VVT adjustment or a custom mapping supplied by a vendor.

Each stored mapping represents the three stored "tunes" as the timing curve advances they simply relate a gas octane rating number that should be used with the advanced timing to prevent knock or detonation.

When you first hook the Predator up it loads its memory with the stock MOPAR map and gives you the option of down loading to the PCM one of its stored adjusted maps (tunes) or a custom tune you may have picked up for more radical change such as a supercharger .

Through a range of closed loops and open loops the 5.7 will generally make minor adjustments to some of these parameters such as using feedback from the oxygen sensors, intake air temp etc.

The stock air box with a good filter is pretty efficient and little performance improvement come from replacing it with a CAI, but they look nice and sound cool. The 5.7 will self adjust to any minor change from this.

Hopefully this puts it in perspective

1 - 11 of 11 Posts