Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have searched the SRT engineer chat sessions on this forum and lx but can not find any responses from them about using a CAI that draws heat from the engine bay, like most users that have a CAI. I know a "true' CAI and the SRT8 stock air box draw most of the air from outside the hood.

I have read the many threads on here about the users opionions but wanted to know if anyone has asked the engineers and what their response was. I do not take it to the track but I do sit in traffic quite a bit and it is above 90 degrees in TX half the year. Just want to make sure I am not causing my engine excess stress or damage from using a CAI that is open in the engine bay. I will be using the LMI air hammer, which has no heat shield what so ever. Has anyone heard from the SRT team about this?

Here is a pic of the LMI intake I am about to install.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I would not consider that a particularly optimal setup for hot Texas weather (North Dakota, perhaps, but not TX). ;) Are you experiencing much heatsoak after driving around in town a bit? If not, then I suppose the engine isn't too concerned about it.

I believe the SRT Engineers were asked about this sort of thing a while ago, and I think the answer they gave was to keep the stock box that comes with the car and exploit the opening in the fender located directly below the box.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No valve covers, that it is not my car in the pic. I was just showing the kind of intake I was putting on. I was worried about that heat soak at first but after reading on lxforums, especially Great Intake Face Off, I am feeling better. There is a very experienced member over there who has worked with 12 different intakes and said a heat shield was of little or no use. He measured IAT in stock air box vs several aftermarket CAI, and the temperature only varied like 6-12 degrees.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts