Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Which do you rather?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am so torn between the following intakes: Frankentake IV, Stage II by aFe and Arrington

I know what you are thinking, Arrington, really? Here is my thought process. I have a hemi orange 6.1 with carbon fiber accents under the hood and on the interior. Cup holders, door pulls and such. Anyway, I don't really want the chore of cleaning an oil type, but would also love a loud filter.

From what I hear, the Stage II is the loudest of the three, but Frank IV and Arrington have carbon fiber. Again, I love the carbon fiber look. Now with that said, I am considering Arrington because 1.), it has an orange filter to match my car and 2.), the fine folks there tell me :phone: it's a dry type...but in my opinion, it's over-priced.

Those that know, just know. No need to list the prices of all three right? To make things a bit more complicated, I have already ordered the Stage II and it should arrive in a few days, but I know I can always re-sell fairly quickly if not opened.

To recap, I want loud, carbon fiber, and dry.
Anyway, I would appreciate all of your feedback.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I would go with the one you think looks the best. All of those intakes perform well. I went with the AFE Stage II and was very happy. It's one of the loudest (along with the LM Airhammer), is dry (easy to clean), and looks very good under the hood. I also like the fact that it has a heat shield.

I almost bought a Frank as well but I found a smoking deal on the AFE on Marylandspeed.

Reactions: SecretCajunMann

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone else have input? I would love to hear from you.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
You really can't go wrong with any of those and they should all perform well. Like Omaha said, a consideration should be which one looks best to you...but also consider ease of maintenance (oiled vs. dry) and cost. I chose a dry filter just b/c with my schedule I know I would forget to clean and re-oil an oiled filter.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
i'll put my vote in for a fender pull. i've data logged with mine to see the difference in the intake temps. search for rayzazoo's threads on his extensive testing between various CAIs. very informative.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'll put my vote in for a fender pull. i've data logged with mine to see the difference in the intake temps. search for rayzazoo's threads on his extensive testing between various CAIs. very informative.
Will do. Thanks for the reference.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bump :beer_yum:

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
CAI

Hey there
I just installed a CAI over the weekend, no real big change in performance but they sure do look good. The EVIC says my MPG is going up a little, maybe 1.5 MPG.

The one I chose was the JLT CAI. Dyno tests showed an increase in power.

Good luck with your decision, half the fun is looking at all the cool parts

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey there
I just installed a CAI over the weekend, no real big change in performance but they sure do look good. The EVIC says my MPG is going up a little, maybe 1.5 MPG.

The one I chose was the JLT CAI. Dyno tests showed an increase in power.

Good luck with your decision, half the fun is looking at all the cool parts
Yeah I have heard good things about the JTL. Nice choice and it looks great under your hood.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: PSM450

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the afe stage 2 and loved it had it for about 4 years. If i didn't have my KB i would maybe try the legmaker but really loved the sound from my afe

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I am still interested in hear from others. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bump bump, opinions wanted.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
A CAI will gain you maybe .05 seconds (that's being generous) over the stock '11 and up box, so whichever one sounds or looks the best to you is the one to get. One of the worst bang for the buck mods.
Even running water/meth and having the IAT and Intake manifold 20 degrees below ambient will only allow you to run one more degree of timing which is about 4HP. No CAI will make the incoming air cooler than ambient, some will cool faster than others so maybe that is the criteria you should be looking for if you have performance in mind. Unless you tune for it, a $500 CAI will be no more beneficial than the stock box once the ECU trims it out except for maybe cooling faster when you hit the throttle.
For all you dyno guys, the real test should be a stock box run, your CAI of choice run and a no filter run. You'll be disappointed in the $ you just spent.
I run the Mopar CAI as it is one of the easier ones to take off at the track.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A CAI will gain you maybe .05 seconds (that's being generous) over the stock '11 and up box, so whichever one sounds or looks the best to you is the one to get. One of the worst bang for the buck mods.
Even running water/meth and having the IAT and Intake manifold 20 degrees below ambient will only allow you to run one more degree of timing which is about 4HP. No CAI will make the incoming air cooler than ambient, some will cool faster than others so maybe that is the criteria you should be looking for if you have performance in mind. Unless you tune for it, a $500 CAI will be no more beneficial than the stock box once the ECU trims it out except for maybe cooling faster when you hit the throttle.
For all you dyno guys, the real test should be a stock box run, your CAI of choice run and a no filter run. You'll be disappointed in the $ you just spent.
Right on! Thanks for your input. Btw, I used to live in your area up until 2010. Wells Branch area for the most part. Have a great day, big guy!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Made up my mind...almost

I have decided to go with LMI. Now just trying to decide between Frank IV and Hammer.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Both are as good as they get. I think Razazoo (sp) did a comprehensive test and the LMI cooled the IAT sensor the fastest if I remember correctly. That is probably the biggest advantage of a CAI over the stock box.
Can't go worng with either. I do enjoy the sound as much as anything. 110 people a day moving to the Austin Area (San Marcos to Georgetown) so you did good in getting out. I've been here since '74 and for the life of me, I have never seen such an incomptent city council in my life. killer growth rate = increased need for road infrastructure. They don't get it. We're moving to Kyle, Tx this month to get away from Austin.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I have decided to go with LMI. Now just trying to decide between Frank IV and Hammer.
The Hammer design (like a megaphone) will be louder than the Frank. I'd go with the Hammer! :rocket:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Both are as good as they get. I think Razazoo (sp) did a comprehensive test and the LMI cooled the IAT sensor the fastest if I remember correctly. That is probably the biggest advantage of a CAI over the stock box.
Can't go worng with either. I do enjoy the sound as much as anything. 110 people a day moving to the Austin Area (San Marcos to Georgetown) so you did good in getting out. I've been here since '74 and for the life of me, I have never seen such an incomptent city council in my life. killer growth rate = increased need for road infrastructure. They don't get it. We're moving to Kyle, Tx this month to get away from Austin.
Ha! Yeah I know. They started building faux loops "around" the area to try and keep pace. Only thing is, they started 25 years too late AND, forgot about Lake Travis. As Homer would say, Doh!

Anyway, thanks for the input and I will be sure to dig through Razazoo threads.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a 2010 srt. Will a cia give me any HP gains? And could u tell me about the "stock box, k&n filter and charger air duct mod?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts