Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any real difference in performance going with an aftermarket air intake vs. the stock box on an otherwise stock intake/exhaust system.

It seems to me that just replacing the stock tube with a mandrel bent tube would allow the air to flow more naturally into the trottle body. My guess is that the stock tube might cause some turbulence in the areas where it flexes which would act as a restriction.

That would suggest that the cheap Ebay tubes would perform nearly as well as the expensive aftermarket cai's, all else being equal.

I suppose a caveat, though, would be that the metal tube would heat up the air somewhat, whereas the stock or aftermarket plastic tubes would be less inclined to do so.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
unless you want a cool looking intake or are interested in more intake noise just put a good quality filter in your stock air box

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
As Ray says the K&N drop in filter may be all you want to do. I would think whatever this tube your talking about is would void your warranty. I still have a stock exhaust and a Mopar CAI with a stock throttle body and I know they say it's intake noise but the sound out and looks of my car is alot better with the CAI and a tune.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I don't know of anyone making a replacement for the flexi-tube on the stock 3.5 intake. could be a DIY job and I'm sure it would reduce turbulance.

·
Super Moderator
13,947 Posts
A good CAI is only good for about 5 hp. You won't notice any power increase, but your intake noise will sound meaner and your engine bay will stand out. Here is my MOPAR unit (built by AEM):

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've read that the CAI does not increase horse power.
They have done Dyno's with no improvement from the stock one.
I have a CAI and without Dynoing it and I thought there was a gain but it's probly all in my head. It does sound better and look better though if your into that.:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I never heard no HP but only 5HP or so. And with 370 to begin with you won't feel that. I sure thought it made more than that but the experts have the dynos on their side.
Actually......... There was some that claim they lost several Horses.
To me it would be hard to gauge when your talking small amounts like you said.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It's likely that the 3.5 does not see as much benefit from a CAI as the 5.7 or the 6.1 would because the stock air filter size is the same for all three. The fact that you're pulling thirty to forty percent more air through the same filter media with the Hemis has got to be more restrictive. I decided to skip the CAI and went with a K&N drop in filter and a ported throttle body and I'm very pleased with the result.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
The R2C intake for the 3.5 dynoed like 15 hp gain at 4500 rpm.
I guess that might be worth the $300 price tag for some owners and it does look cool.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
That's alot of gain........ was the dyno done by an independant or someone involved with marketing the product?
Dunno...there is a R2C thread in the SE forum with a link to their site.

·
Registered
331 Posts
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f38/cone-vs-drop-surface-area-48359/ The only difference between the PentaStar 292 HP Charger and the 305 HP Challenger is the intake, Allpar says "The Challenger SE's 13 horsepower increase over other Pentastar engines is due to "a more aggressively designed intake air system" which increased airflow from 214 to 220 g/s. The cam is identical." The most important thing is to keep the dirt out of the motor. The washable, lifetime K&N and AIRAID filters are the best and you should be able to find filters from them to fit any CAI system.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
well it is the MAF or MAS and really most MAF / MAS die cauz they are made by BOSCH which means the poor VW quality is built in. I guess you could destroy the TB with oil if you soaked it in a pan or somet'en:scratchhead:

The larger whale dong, gives more ready volume

1994-2001 ACURA INTEGRA Password JDM Carbon Fiber PowerChamber Intake PWCPC-EK9-BSC

which help on tip in and mid range torque. As the dyno shows not much on the top end but mid range is fat..

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
the maf could wipe out cause it is a hot wire system that may, very unlikely but may have enough oil tossed onto it to overload the heating element, the TB has a servo behind a o ring as the only moving electrical part hence my speculation that if one tossed the whole thing into a pan of oil maybe just maybe it would bugger up. No not lie, but ignorant.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i was searching ebay for intakes and found cheapo aluminim tube set-ups for $40. i wouldn't bother with them since i'd worry they'd come apart on the road somewhere and cause real problems.

however, comparing legit aftermarket systems to the stock system,the stock system doesn't appear to be very restrictive. my guess is a ported throttle body would be a better investment. aestetically, the aftermarket systems look impressive

it might be interesting to create a ram air port to the underside of the stock airbox. at speed, that might direct enough fresh air into the stock box to improve the engine's breathing... but it might also direct dust, pebbles, water,...etc, into the system

as far as "oiled" filters go, like k&n, i'll pass. oldman, i believe you are correct in stating that the oil from the filter could burn out the maf

i guess i'm answering my own question... but, i'd like to see actual independant dyno results across the full rpm for both the stock airbox and aftermarket cai's

1 - 20 of 30 Posts