Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question of you really smart guys who have experimented with CAIs and exhaust system or have learned opinions. I removed the filter box and plumbing on my 6.1 and gave it a close look. Sure, it has the accordion section that disrupts air flow a bit but over all it looks fairly efficient especially since there are no baffles and it is well designed to pull air from outside the engine compartment.

Looking at the exhaust. 2.75” pipe, straight through mufflers and resonators, and the bends are fairly smooth – certainly not mandrel bent but no squashed sections at all like you see on a lot of systems. System looks very efficient for stock.

I was on the CAI and exhaust band wagon but now I am really wondering if it will buy anything for a car that will not see anything but street use. Sure, both a CAI and a CAT Back system will make more noise and sound cool but the stock set up does not sound bad unless you want more rumble.

I would appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a question of you really smart guys who have experimented with CAIs and exhaust system or have learned opinions. I removed the filter box and plumbing on my 6.1 and gave it a close look. Sure, it has the accordion section that disrupts air flow a bit but over all it looks fairly efficient especially since there are no baffles and it is well designed to pull air from outside the engine compartment.

Looking at the exhaust. 2.75” pipe, straight through mufflers and resonators, and the bends are fairly smooth – certainly not mandrel bent but no squashed sections at all like you see on a lot of systems. System looks very efficient for stock.

I was on the CAI and exhaust band wagon but now I am really wondering if it will buy anything for a car that will not see anything but street use. Sure, both a CAI and a CAT Back system will make more noise and sound cool but the stock set up does not sound bad unless you want more rumble.

I would appreciate any feedback.
I for one purchased the Ram Air CAI kit from Cervini"s to make my Chally different from others and to make my hood scoops truly functional. Overall the 'system' doesn't add any real HP but I do like the sound and the overall eye appeal. I have yet to do any exhaust mods and I won't until I get that Supercharger someday. I don't see anything wrong with the stock intake and yes its development does draw cold air in by virtue of its placement. I even left in the original hose. All-in-all if you are happy with what you have there is no need to change it. Enjoy the ride, those around you will enjoy the car. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
You could easily settle for a drop in K&N filter with the stock box and be done with the air intake tract. I would say upgrade the filter because it's a lifetime filter and you will gain a little bit more airflow over stock.

The stock exhaust is really good also as you have mentioned. The main restriction is in the cats, per the SRT engineers. These can be swapped out for hi-flow cats but you don't really have to mess with that either.

I did quite a few tests with CAIs (reference posts). If you want a performance upgrade to the stock box, go with fender intakes like AEM Brute, Legmaker, Stack, or the new Mopar Long Air Intake.

Really, if you want the best initial performance upgrade, start with a predator tuner and a 180 thermostat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts