Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a 2016 R/T 5.7L, with Corsa Extreme cat backs. They sound good with the factory air intake, but I'm looking to get a little more sound out of them and some more HP, so I've been looking at a couple CAI kits. I've narrowed it down to the K&N Blackhawk (Model # K&N 71-1542) and the AFE Power Magnum Force (Model # 51-12162). The Blackhawk supposedly boosts HP by 14 and the AFE by 17. Any recommendations one way or another? Experiences with either?

Both have great reviews. AFE is a little more expensive, but it looks like it is engineered for air flow a little better than the K&N. Both have plastic tubes...any reason an aluminum tube might be better?

I appreciate any feedback!

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Aluminum tube would make the air HOTTER, stick with the plastic, unless you're doing it for engine bling.

BTW....don't believe the 14 and 17hp ratings....more like 2 or 3hp at best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point about the aluminum. Before I put the cat backs on it, I did a stock dyno and after 3 pulls averaged 330.7 HP at the wheels and 352.9 torque. I'll do one again after the CAI is put in...will be neat to see the difference.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
495 Posts
Stick with the stock airbox or the Charger tube.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
You won't get much, if any, HP increase from a CAI. Dyno variances are larger than any increase from a CAI.

It's your money, but the Charger tube will give you more "growl" than the stock tube. Everything else is just bling under the hood

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. I agree with Frank- the OEM parts look good under the hood (thanks for posting those), I'm not into the bling. Looks like the Charger tube is the way to go, and a like a K&N 33-2460 drop in filter...

Seemingly dumb questions, I'm new to these mods: Is the charger tube literally just an air intake tube from a Charger? If so, why does this improve sound? And does anyone know a part number for one that would fit my challenger, or should any fit?

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. I agree with Frank- the OEM parts look good under the hood (thanks for posting those), I'm not into the bling. Looks like the Charger tube is the way to go, and a like a K&N 33-2460 drop in filter...

Seemingly dumb questions, I'm new to these mods: Is the charger tube literally just an air intake tube from a Charger? If so, why does this improve sound? And does anyone know a part number for one that would fit my challenger, or should any fit?
intake tube:
https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-air-inlet-duct-4861940ac/?c=aT1QQjExMjgwNSZyPWxheWVyXzMmYT1kb2RnZQ==

intake filter box:
https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-air-cleaner-body-68175164ac/?c=aT1VUDA4NTg1NSZyPWxheWVyXzE=

Hellcat intake tube, goes from filter box to back of the parking light:
https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-intake-duct-68207918ab

Of course you can shop for the best prices, Steve Whites is a vendor here and they also have a discount for members here with coupon code CHA1

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,899 Posts
Any water that enters would be under the filter. It does pull from the stock fender location also. Water wouldn't get to the filter unless it was a monsoon. A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
The charger tube doesnt have the pulse chamber. Yes 11 and up charger
Anyone know the purpose of the "pulse" chamber?

Wonder why the difference between the Challenger tube and the Charger tube when it's the same 5.7 motor??

·
Registered
412 Posts
"Anyone know the purpose of the "pulse" chamber?" On the LT1 we called those dead-end air devices resonators and got rid of both of them. They quiet the sound under the hood, that's all. It's a noise minimizing device.

·
Registered
412 Posts
2sided- Advanced Flow Engineering filters were recommended to me years ago by a performance tuner who started out on LT1 engines and moved to performance diesel trucks.

We discussed how thin the K&N filters are (what I have on my LT1) and he liked the AFE because he thought they were more sturdy and durable construction. He told me that he had 550 HP diesel trucks at the drag strip that sucked in and crushed the K&N cone filter under hard pull. I believe him based on how many times I've bent my cone K&N setup.

Last I knew he used only AFE. Above story second hand and at your own discretion. I'm looking at the top of the line AFE intake elbow setup which is about $450 for the super duper one I think.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
"Anyone know the purpose of the "pulse" chamber?" On the LT1 we called those dead-end air devices resonators and got rid of both of them. They quiet the sound under the hood, that's all. It's a noise minimizing device.
So......some genius engineer figured the Charger could sound a little louder but the Challenger shouldn't?? Crazy!
I would think since the Charger is more of a "family" performance sedan it would be the other way around.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,899 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts