Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently read a post on another LX forum wherein the author claims that because CAIs have larger filters and take in more air, the computer will cause you to use more gas to reach the correct ratio of air to fuel...which will in turn drop your MPGs. Is this true? If it is, I would think a tune would correct that, but I don't plan to get a tune anytime soon.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
I noticed better MPG's and better throttle response with my old R/T and a K&N high flow filter in an SRT airbox. Same with the LMI Frankentake IV CAI I ran for a while after that. Nothing significant, but maybe 1mpg or so more than before on average.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've read they come from the factory tuned pretty rich, so more air should help if that's the case. The throttle body can only take in as much air as it can anyway. You can have a massive filter or no filter. The TB is still the limiter. Different filters can be more or less restrictive though, true.

As mentioned though, a CAI isn't going to make a huge difference one way or the other. If you want one, get one.

Your MPGs may lower though, because you can't keep your foot out of it wanting to hear the CAI sound. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
2013 RT Classic
537 Posts
The only way it will affect MPG is if you drive differently. Having more air available will not affect anything as the ECU measures the amount of air that ACTUALLY is flowing into the engine and is being used for combustion.

On the other hand, it won't do any thing to increase power or anything else. If your goal is to get a different sound from the intake or to "look cooler" with the hood open then you will get what you are after. I tested both ways and went back to stock until I supercharged the engine and went with a much bigger intake.

Our cars have true CAI from the factory, it comes in from the left front fender. Most aftermarket so called CAI leak engine bay air into them (not all, to quell the comments I can hear already but most) and you have, at best, a mixed result. I can hear the howls of protest already. Better air flow! Less restriction! UH, ya, for the most part, not so much. I tested both ways, watching in real time, intake air temp, outside air temp, real time rear wheel HP numbers and the results were within the noise stat wise. A stock engine will not see any real world gains as the stock box is a TRUE CAI and while the few extra turns of the air flow can be seen as restriction on a flow bench, the air flow is more than enough to give the engine everything it needs.

So what are you after? Performance. Save your money.

Look cooler with the hood open? a little more intake noise? Then you will get what you are seeking.

Reactions: TNSF and RockanRoll

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,027 Posts
Mopar Passes Great

A Guy

Reactions: Gila Hemi

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
They may tell you it increases efficiency and there for increases fuel mileage, they say the same thing about headers. I tried that line on my dad when I put headers on a car, "But it will increase the mileage." I told him, well he called me on it, "You put headers on and then you have to rejet the carb because it's too lean, then you drive with your foot in it because you love the sound of the headers then you loose mileage and get speeding tickets." Yeah the old man was right....

·
Registered
Hellcat
979 Posts
Exactly my point, when adding MODs for performance, sound or beauty, who cares about MPG.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts