Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading on here about someone that was wanting to help out a SE and they said that you got as much help by just putting in a new K&N filter as you do by adding a CAI system. Is that true with a RT too. Of coarse it's a 5.7 Himi.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If you drive around with your hood up, get the CAI for the wow factor.
If your looking fpr performance gains, just drop in a better flowing filter in the stock air box. Spend your money more wisely on other go fast parts.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I was reading on here about someone that was wanting to help out a SE and they said that you got as much help by just putting in a new K&N filter as you do by adding a CAI system. Is that true with a RT too. Of coarse it's a 5.7 Himi.

Did you go with one of the K&N replacements? I'm thinking about picking one up at Autozone. They are $50.99, but I have a $10 coupon so it would only be $40.99.

The Challenger owner's manual doesn't show how they install. I assume that you remove the cover on the air box and it drops in?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Since it's getting colder out make sure you warm up the car before removing the air filter lid or you risk the chance of breaking off one of the tabs.

Or remove intake hose first and then the lid.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Since it's getting colder out make sure you warm up the car before removing the air filter lid or you risk the chance of breaking off one of the tabs.

Or remove intake hose first and then the lid.

Thanks for the advice. If I go this route, I'll be careful.

It's hard to believe that the owner's manual doesn't show how to do this. This should be a maintenance item that the owner can do without taking it to a dealer.

I'm sure it's simple. I just need to go out to the garage and look at it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
If you drive around with your hood up, get the CAI for the wow factor.
If your looking fpr performance gains, just drop in a better flowing filter in the stock air box. Spend your money more wisely on other go fast parts.

^^^What he said...^^^

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
If you want a K&N CAI, Ill sell you mine for $100 + shipping. I used it for 3 months before I supercharged my car

·
Registered
7 Posts
cold air intake

Will the cold air intake improve performance on a se with a v6 without putting a catback on or is it a waste of money ?
Thanks

·
Registered
724 Posts
The K&N DROP IN FILTER IMO WAS A WASTE OF MONEY. On a AW DYNOJET DYNO bone stock with a K&N drop in filter i put out 341 HP and we added the CAI and put out 348 HP then a cool down period and 1 more pull and it went to 351 hp then they strated to tune it.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The K&N DROP IN FILTER IMO WAS A WASTE OF MONEY. On a AW DYNOJET DYNO bone stock with a K&N drop in filter i put out 341 HP and we added the CAI and put out 348 HP then a cool down period and 1 more pull and it went to 351 hp then they strated to tune it.
Last month when I put this out everyone was saying just the oppisite, now I get the drop in filter and someone comes up with some figures. Just my luck

·
Registered
724 Posts
Last month when I put this out everyone was saying just the oppisite, now I get the drop in filter and someone comes up with some figures. Just my luck
The only way you can really tell is on the dyno or a b4 and after track time. When i had my 06 srt8 magnum i dynoed bone stock with the the a 2wh dynojet and it pulled 358 hp with a dropped in K&N filter then we took the filter out and pulled 372 hp. I sold the magnum b4 i could add a CAI BUT THIS IS WHAT KIND A SOLD ME ON THE CAI to put on the jeep.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The only way you can really tell is on the dyno or a b4 and after track time. When i had my 06 srt8 magnum i dynoed bone stock with the the a 2wh dynojet and it pulled 358 hp with a dropped in K&N filter then we took the filter out and pulled 372 hp. I sold the magnum b4 i could add a CAI BUT THIS IS WHAT KIND A SOLD ME ON THE CAI to put on the jeep.
I don't have an R/T or SRT, so I can only speak for the SE. The K&N Drop in is just as good if not better than a CAI. Mostly because it flows the same and the stock box actually does shield engine heat, most CAI don't do as good of a job of seating away from the engine. Some have systems in place, but none seem as good as completely blocking it off. I don't think comparing a jeep and magnum vs a Challenger is apples to apples.

·
Registered
630 Posts

I've got a new one sitting here in the box......

Did you notice any difference when you installed yours such as the sound and/or performance? Guys talk about the sound of the CAI's, but I don't know if the K&N drop-in changes the sound?

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think it may have made a little sound change but not $50 worth and it does get a mile or so more a gallon on the road. No noticable performance gain but didn't think it would.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I don't have an R/T or SRT, so I can only speak for the SE. The K&N Drop in is just as good if not better than a CAI. Mostly because it flows the same and the stock box actually does shield engine heat, most CAI don't do as good of a job of seating away from the engine. Some have systems in place, but none seem as good as completely blocking it off. I don't think comparing a jeep and magnum vs a Challenger is apples to apples.
The stock air box is in the same place on all lx cars and challenger also and the jeep is just on the opposite side. DYNO runs dont lie. The only diff is most jeeps dyno on a AW DYNO WHERE THE HP IS ABOUT 10% LESS THAN A 2wh dyno.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
This has been discussed NUMEROUS times around here.

The older air intakes would not flow as good as the Challengers intakes so when a CAI was installed on pre challenger models a significant improvement was seen.

The Challenger intake flows so well a CAI will generally only improve 5+ hp. This improvement with the CAI was from a better flowing air filter. If you put a better flowing air filter in the stock box you will gain just as much as a CAI on these challengers and I suspect all newer vehicles.

Now if you can get a CAI that pulls directly from outside the engine bay then you might see a couple more Hp or I would say tops of 10Hp. Your et's would improve though even more since the AIT will not be heat soaked.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The stock air box is in the same place on all lx cars and challenger also and the jeep is just on the opposite side. DYNO runs dont lie. The only diff is most jeeps dyno on a AW DYNO WHERE THE HP IS ABOUT 10% LESS THAN A 2wh dyno.
If we were talking purely cooled down drag runs maybe you'd have a point about a Dyno run talking. However the real winner is the longer run performer in my opinion. The stock airbox + K&N in an SE stays cooler longer and removes the same amount of flow restriction as the CAI kits will. Maybe after a ported TB and a wider inlet you'd need more, but the airbox + K&N are not a bottleneck.

This has been discussed NUMEROUS times around here.

The older air intakes would not flow as good as the Challengers intakes so when a CAI was installed on pre challenger models a significant improvement was seen.

The Challenger intake flows so well a CAI will generally only improve 5+ hp. This improvement with the CAI was from a better flowing air filter. If you put a better flowing air filter in the stock box you will gain just as much as a CAI on these challengers and I suspect all newer vehicles.

Now if you can get a CAI that pulls directly from outside the engine bay then you might see a couple more Hp or I would say tops of 10Hp. Your et's would improve though even more since the AIT will not be heat soaked.
Exactly!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The air box might be in the same location but are the boxes and intake design the same?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts