Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
According to chrysler the air boxes diff a little but the filters are all the same on the 5.7 & 6.1.
My mistake for not being more clear. I know the 5.7 & 6.1 challenger air filter is the same and the intake is almost the same.

I was referring to other vehicles such as the charger and 300 and jeep air boxes being different design and adding a CAI to them made a difference.

See other post above for explaination of why a CAI on a challenger doesn't make more than a better flowing air filter in the stock box.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Just changing to the K&N drop in did not increase the sound at all on my 2010 R/T. Didn't notice any improvement, but didn't really expect to either. I would think the CAI's that use the cone shaped filters would have more area to pull air in with which may be why its a little better, plus its usually more open so you hear it more. I see no point in taking it in to dyno it until I do something a little more drastic than a filter change.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Warlock didn't you see a little better MPG? The sound might have just be wishfull thinking and I just went over 4k on the odometer so the mileage may just be the car breaking in but mine did go up.

·
Registered
724 Posts
My mistake for not being more clear. I know the 5.7 & 6.1 challenger air filter is the same and the intake is almost the same.

I was referring to other vehicles such as the charger and 300 and jeep air boxes being different design and adding a CAI to them made a difference.

See other post above for explaination of why a CAI on a challenger doesn't make more than a better flowing air filter in the stock box.
The stock airfilter in my 06 srt8 magnum was the same 1 that was in my 07 srt8 jeep as i keep the stock magnum 1 when i put the K&N in the magnum. When i sold the magnum i put the stock airfilter back in it and put the K&N in the jeep.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I haven't checked mileage on the interstate yet, it may have increased a little. And performance didn't get any worse, it may have improved a little, but to be truthful you really can't discern hp improvements of only 10hp thru a butt dyno. It pulls hard and strong, and when under full throttle you can hear it suck air like a hemi should, but you could do that with the stock filter. Now my exhaust tends to overwhelm the air sucking sounds. I'm satisfied with the performance of my R/T for now, sure it could be better, I'll see if i can tell the difference with a tuner for xmas. Or a real ram air system for the TA hood soon.

My car just crossed 5k miles today, i'm pretty sure break in is about done by now. Overall, the intake does well, i wish it was better but cannot justify spending 300.00 or more for a CAI that does relatively nothing as far as power goes. I will be adding an srt8 intake hose/box soon so i can cut into the top to allow the ram air box to let air in from the hood scoop.
That way i can keep the original box stock.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I know that my 300 came with a noise defusser right under the Air Box, do the Challengers have them also?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The stock airfilter in my 06 srt8 magnum was the same 1 that was in my 07 srt8 jeep as i keep the stock magnum 1 when i put the K&N in the magnum. When i sold the magnum i put the stock airfilter back in it and put the K&N in the jeep.
That's what I meant by you seen improvements from a CAI on the older units. The Challenger stock intakes flow as good as a CAI if you change to a less restrictive air filter.

In defense of the CAI's most use a bigger air filter that is also less restrictive than paper filters so you might, might see 1 Hp more gain over the drop in less restrictive air filter. Some pull in air closer to outside temperatures so they would also have an advantage over stock box location referenceing AIT readings.

I have my stock air box completely sealed to outside air along with a better flowing air filter.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I know that my 300 came with a noise defusser right under the Air Box, do the Challengers have them also?
No. The RT uses a snorkel on the bend of the intake tube as a noise suppressor. The SRT has no noise suppressor. The SRT air box bottom has a hole opening at the bottom and also has a little more opening cut to the front while the RT air box just has the air opening hole in the bottom.

Some of people have bought the SRT air box and installed them on the RT for possibly better air flow along with a drop in better flowing air filter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just droped the K&N and dyno confirmed a 30 horsepower rear wheel gain. Spins the tires as long as I want to hold the hammer down. You can't go wrong or regret going with any K&N product.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Just droped the K&N and dyno confirmed a 30 horsepower rear wheel gain. Spins the tires as long as I want to hold the hammer down. You can't go wrong or regret going with any K&N product.
WOH, put the brakes on this claim. What vehicle were you dynoing?
Did you dyno the same day, same dyno, same ambient air temperature, same DA, same engine temperature, same dyno operator, etc. etc. ?

A little difference in dyno operating parimeters can show a hugh difference in dyno results.

·
Registered
812 Posts
If you drive around with your hood up, get the CAI for the wow factor.
If your looking fpr performance gains, just drop in a better flowing filter in the stock air box. Spend your money more wisely on other go fast parts.

^ what he said and that's what I did.

·
Registered
23 Posts
so i am having some issues trying to get better filter i saw a post about using filter lx 3482 but dont know if it will fit and when i ask dodge dealer for that part they dont have that part number and dont seem to know anything about thease car as i stated it was srt filtr and was made by mehale the part guy said dont know that brand ironicly it is the chrysler factury filter maker just the srt filter flows better

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,585 Posts
The Hellcat filter is part# 68172459AA, Mahles number is LX 3482. Dodge wouldn't recognize a Mahle part number

A Guy

21 - 35 of 35 Posts