Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's holiday season and I just got some gift cards to spend online. I'm thinking of picking up a CAI for my 13 R/T 6 speed. I'm also thinking about adding some cash to my gift cards and picking up the new Diablosport tuner. I've read mixed things about the CAIs. I've also read some mixed things about the tuner where people were expecting a huge difference in performance and didn't get much. Others have said that they had to selectively use the tuner because the power gain was so much that hitting the gas at a green light was "out of control". I have little confidence in what is posted online so I don't know what to believe.

Naturally I'm looking to add some power to my R/T, whether it be HP or torque, the best bang for the buck. I've read posts where people have said a CAI is a "no brainer", but it only seems to add about 2-3 HP to the R/T, which is less than a 1% increase for a couple of bills. The tuner claims up to 20-25 HP, which is $600, seemingly the best way to go.

So what do you all think? I'd love to bring my 376 HP to 400 with a noticeable jump in torque.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 2013 R/T automatic. I have CAI, Full Catback exhaust, Trinity T1000 with a custom tune and ST headers. Dyno gave me 356 rwhp w/389 TQ. Gonna need more then a few bolt ons to get the power you want. I was hoping for similar increases as you are looking for. Looks like a cam or NOS will be needed (or obviously a SC). A few other options are available but $$$ gets in the way. Lol.

Reactions: Mikebythesun

·
Registered
675 Posts
Get the Tuner first. The more mods you do the more you will need it for data logging and adding custom tunes. Along with the 180 T-stat it will keep the car running cooler and more consistent if you ever track the car.

Just MHO.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Do the tuner first

Reactions: Mikebythesun

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Mopar Muscle compared 6 or so CAIs in their October 2013 issue and published dyno hp/torque gains per manufacture. Interesting read even if you're skeptical.

I agree with the other posters here. Get the tuner first and build from there if you're looking at engine upgrades. However, I'd suggest some suspension upgrades first such as a strut brace. I know I'm in the minority but IMO no use making more power if you can't get it to the ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts