Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the CAI for my V6 SXT and I am curious about the design. My current 2016 SXT has the air filter box that pulls air from the bottom. Most of the CAIs I have looked at do the same thing (they pull air from the same bottom vent). They have the top part open but to me there is not much of a difference. The air filter on CAI system is most likely less restrictive but if the Mopar's CAI seals the intake compartment at the top, the only air intake is still the bottom hole which the stock air filter uses. So what's the gain here if I install CAI besides the better look under the hood? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I am not a mechanic or an engineer. I am just curious.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
I am looking at the CAI for my V6 SXT and I am curious about the design. My current 2016 SXT has the air filter box that pulls air from the bottom. Most of the CAIs I have looked at do the same thing (they pull air from the same bottom vent). They have the top part open but to me there is not much of a difference. The air filter on CAI system is most likely less restrictive but if the Mopar's CAI seals the intake compartment at the top, the only air intake is still the bottom hole which the stock air filter uses. So what's the gain here if I install CAI besides the better look under the hood? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I am not a mechanic or an engineer. I am just curious.

From a performance stand point, it's airflow. The stock filter in your v6 is pretty restrictive. If you just do a drop in K&N filter you'll get about 5 hp bump in power, I have tracked tested the K&N drop in filter, K&N 63 series and the mopar, of course along with the stock unit all in the same day. The drop in was worth .5 mph in trap speed and .05 reduction in e.t., the K&N series 63 was worth 1 mph intrap speed ( about 10 hp) over the stock unit and filter and reduced e.t. .10, the Mopar unit fell in the middle and it was sluggish off the line, I feel it was because the metal tube was so hot, hot enough you couldn't hold the hand on it to long.

I did later on do a fender pull cai intake home built and put the largest filter on it I could find with the most surface area on the filter, this was the best set up to get me to the 13's

Most will say no power gain, but I tested it and found power, most will say it's a noise maker and makes the exhaust louder which it does, but most folks aren't smart enough to figure out, the louder exhaust is because the engine is moving more air thru the exhaust and when you move more air your making more power. They can't seem to put two and two together. So go figure.

Hope this helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts