Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know this subject has been beat to death. :deadhorse:So... just for my benefit. I'm a fairly new Challenger owner. Three months. I absolutely love it. Right now, it sits in the garage, covered, during the bad weather here. I am also a fairly big fan of not making major modifications. I like my cars close to original or able to be returned to original. Also, I get carried away and spend a huge amount of money that I regret later on. That being said, there are a few things that I want to do. So, here's my question. I will try not to write a book.

First, after soooo much reading of all the different discussions my final thoughts on aftermarket CAI's is that they are really for looks and depending upon the unit can actually hurt horsepower because of the intake of hot air from the engine compartment. I know, I have seen all the dyno results and all the arguments and there are equal arguments on boths sides.

So, Saving that money for spending elsewhere and retainng a fairly original look, I want to change my R/T air box out for the SRT8 air box and going with a drop in aftermarket filter. Here are my issues that I want help with.

Looking at the SRT8 box, there appears to be an opening on the front of the box that faces toward the grill (additional air intake? Is there a difference in the SRT8 and R/T grill that would allow for this?) that would make this box open to the hot engine compartment allowing for the intake of hot air also.

I want to lose the silencer without just cutting it off (see above, returning to stock). Replacing the air tube from the throttle body to the air box with the SRT8 unit solves this, hopefully gaining me a little more rumble and air flow (assuming the silencer as a restriction)

I am not an SRT8 owner, so, besides the difference in the air box (the opening), the difference in the air tube (rubber verses plastic and the silencer or lack thereof) is there any difference in the tube from the fender well to the bottom of the box. I have only heard things, such as a tapered design on the R/T verses straight...

My thought is this, keeping the R/T box to keep a sealed unit (no introduction of hot air), change to an aftermarket drop in (K&N), and changing out the air tube for the SRT8 air tube.

Pretty cheap mod.... OK guys, let me have it!

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I think you can pull all the R/T stuff off and replace with the SRT stuff and be done, but I can't say for sure.

BTW, I think you are doing the right thing. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Here are two pictures of the SRT8 bottom air box vs the R/T Box

R/T

SRT8

There is no difference in the SRT8 and R/T grills other than the brake air ducts. You'll lose the silencer with the SRT8 air tube and also it will create a smoother flowing intake to the throttle body. Other than the plastic vs rubber and silencer, there aren't many significant differences between the tubes.

As far as the larger opening at the bottom of the air box, it does allow for less restrictive air flow and you won't notice much difference as far as underhood heat is concerned vs the R/T bottom air box. You can even leave the R/T air box and only replace the R/T and SRT tubes.

A drop in K&N filter is a nice upgrade to the stock box. It is a lifetime reusable filter saving future costs there but it also does have a slightly higher CFM rating than the stock filter.

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
I know that a CAI does not give you the most "bang for buck," as far as performance goes (about 5 hp), but if you intend to dress-up your engine bay, they can't be beat. See mine:

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Cuda... Still got your box? :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just an opinion, nothing more - but if you are going to go through the effort to swap an RT stock airbox for an SRT version, you might consider just installing a CAI of your choosing. Same benefit as a drop in aftermarket filter (most CAIs have "life time" filters that can be cleaned and put back on when they get dirty), and while there's really no such thing as a "true" cold air intake - a CAI does provide a slightly higher volume of airflow compared to the stock boxes, thus a little more efficient overall. Couple that with a Predator canned tune and you'll notice far better peformance (and slightly better fuel economy) without going mod-crazy and spending an enormous amount of money - and be able to go completely back to stock any time you want. Might be worth considering....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hemifan, while I do love the look of a CAI the main reason that I have decided against it was because of the possible loss of horse power. I especially love the C&L Unit because it actually uses the lower half of the factory air box and seals to the hood, thus retaining a true sealed air intake, plus supposedly the largest sq.inch filter made. I was so close to buying one until i ran into threads about the air tube being aluminum. A fact a actually thought was cool and going have it powder coated PCP. Again the talk about the metal getting so hot that the air was heated and hurting horsepower! I even read that between dyno runs they had to allow 30 minutes for the air tube to cool off. I gave up. I am not concerned about a huge increase in horse power but I don't want a loss. So that is the reason I have chosen this direction.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If I could, metal tube intakes and heat soak have been proven to be a myth. The air moving through the intake is at such a rapid pace, the warmer metal tube will have little effect. I learned this on my 2010 Camaro SS and Ted Jannetty performing dyno comparison testing against most of the CAI's on the market for the Camaro.

That said, I have looked at the Challenger CAI's available. I would personally choose Stack Performance as a first choice and Airaid as a close second.

Both designs are a bit different but are quality kits and will produce good results.

Hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I was very happy with my AFE Pro Dry S CAI. I liked that it didn't have to be oiled and it sounded great. I've decided to go with an SRT intake with a drop in Pro Dry filter, and will be selling my AFE CAI soon.

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
Hey Cuda... Still got your box? :)

I still have the stock air box, but I am keeping it along with all of the other original pieces that I have replaced with after market parts. Someday, The original parts may be valuable in putting my SRT back into factory condition.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I have a ROTO-FAB CAI that I need to get rid of. ROTO-FAB seals at the bottom and with the hood also has a air tube on it that is not metal or aluminum. CAI was used on my car about 6 months. IT is like new. Took it off when I put the Vortech on.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have a SRT air box from my Charger that I traded in. I had it for sale on CF but
let my listing sink into oblivion. Might be just what your looking for since it was before
Dodge expanded the hole on the bottom. PM me if your interested.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Take off auto parts sells the air boxes for SRT8's should the sources run dry here. Been thinking much the same thing for my R/T, currently use a drop in K&N, but considering modding the air box some so wouldn't mind getting an SRT8 version instead. (want to get rid of the silencer tubes without cutting anything as i may want to return it to stock sometime in the future)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts