Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like the Hellcat is in my future and I cannot get it out of my head that I need this car to be Pitch Black. Well I know that Black is hard to keep clean and doubly problematic in a place like Arizona. My usual routine with my current car is to start it in the morning, let it warm up and use a california duster, LIGHTLY. 2 bucket hand wash once a week on Saturday. I realize that overtime scratches can develop in the clear coat and be seen in black. My thinking is to get it detailed/buffed yearly.

If you have a black car and live in a dusty area, what are your thoughts. Would you do it again?

·
Registered
723 Posts
The last black one I had was my SRT10 quad ram. That was a lot of black and it worked my ass off to keep it clean. It looked good for a day. Black is awesome when it is detailed though. If you have some time to spare, go for it. I may would do a black one again now that I am retired. Good exercise for an old dude like me. :) NC is not as dusty as AZ, but I think black draws dust from 3 states.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
My first RT was black and it was a daily driver. The California duster definitely helps, as does the two bucket washes once a week, but it was definitely a part time job keeping it clean. I ended up doing a full paint correction twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall.

I now have the granite cyrstal, and it is definitely less effort. Even when dusty or dirty, its hard to tell when walking up to it. Would I have black again? With my work schedule probably not (although the black is plain awesome when detailed correctly). For me, the silver/tungsten/granite crystal seems to be the perfect balance for a daily driver. If I had more free time and/or the car wasn't a daily driver, I would get black.

·
Banned
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys and this will be a daily driver for me. I am single, no kids so I do have time and I do quickly run the California duster every morning. Hmm.

·
Registered
583 Posts

I own 2 black cars and after the years i think that the duster does more harm then good. But i know people who swear buy them. Most of those people dont have black paint so i take their opinion very lightly. In my experience it just isnt worth putting the fine scratches in it just to be able to dust it quickly.

Over the years ive figured out a few tricks to keep my paint flawless. and trust me, im as anal as they come. Im a meguiars guy all they way. heres what i do to wash and keep a scratch free surface.

Hose the entire car down. I mean really hose it down. this is where you will prevent ALOT of scratches.

Next comes the standard 2 bucket method. I use meguiars soap, works best for me. I use a wool wash mit and put no pressure on it. only what the mit itself puts down. with a black car you need to wash the mit out ALOT. i do it 4 times a panel, even more so for the hood. also go in front to back lines, not circles. this prevents ugly swirls. swirls catch light and make it look 10x worse then it it was a straight line

when it comes to drying invest in a good ELECTRIC blower. its so quick and the drying stage (when you use cloths) causes alot of scratches. it will get 99% of the water off and out of all the little cracks.

I wax my car ever 2 weekends. i put it on, let it cure, wipe it off, and repeat.

Now, in between waxes i use a spay wax by meguiars. it fills all the little clear coat scratches (the very few you will get) and makes the finish flawless. I do this upwards of 3 times a week. Thats what i would do insted of a duster. Just rinse the car heavily, air dry it with a blower and finish with a spray wax. Bam good as new. Its worked for me for many years. all i can say is... invest in microfibers. LOTS of them. Sams club has huge packs for fairly cheap. I bought 4 packs (80 ish towels?). still cant seem to find any clean one :p

Black is hard to keep clean but man is it worth it. Nothing beats a spotless black car imo.

Wish you luck,
Brian

·
Registered
171 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my blacktop in black. When it is clean nothing looks better in my opinion. That said, if I had a Hellcat I think I would opt for a different color if you live in a dusty place. I'm in Oklahoma and it lasts a few mins after the wash/wax before it has noticeable dust. The California Duster unfortunately doesn't do much, it helps a little but it's impossible to keep clean. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

I own 2 black cars and after the years i think that the duster does more harm then good. But i know people who swear buy them. Most of those people dont have black paint so i take their opinion very lightly. In my experience it just isnt worth putting the fine scratches in it just to be able to dust it quickly.

Over the years ive figured out a few tricks to keep my paint flawless. and trust me, im as anal as they come. Im a meguiars guy all they way. heres what i do to wash and keep a scratch free surface.

Hose the entire car down. I mean really hose it down. this is where you will prevent ALOT of scratches.

Next comes the standard 2 bucket method. I use meguiars soap, works best for me. I use a wool wash mit and put no pressure on it. only what the mit itself puts down. with a black car you need to wash the mit out ALOT. i do it 4 times a panel, even more so for the hood. also go in front to back lines, not circles. this prevents ugly swirls. swirls catch light and make it look 10x worse then it it was a straight line

when it comes to drying invest in a good ELECTRIC blower. its so quick and the drying stage (when you use cloths) causes alot of scratches. it will get 99% of the water off and out of all the little cracks.

I wax my car ever 2 weekends. i put it on, let it cure, wipe it off, and repeat.

Now, in between waxes i use a spay wax by meguiars. it fills all the little clear coat scratches (the very few you will get) and makes the finish flawless. I do this upwards of 3 times a week. Thats what i would do insted of a duster. Just rinse the car heavily, air dry it with a blower and finish with a spray wax. Bam good as new. Its worked for me for many years. all i can say is... invest in microfibers. LOTS of them. Sams club has huge packs for fairly cheap. I bought 4 packs (80 ish towels?). still cant seem to find any clean one :p

Black is hard to keep clean but man is it worth it. Nothing beats a spotless black car imo.

Wish you luck,
Brian
Anything that touches the paint has the chance of inducing swirl marks. The key with the duster is to use it lightly and only when you're dealing with light surface dust (like tree pollen, etc.). My RT was black and it did not create any swirl marks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well it looks like the Hellcat is in my future and I cannot get it out of my head that I need this car to be Pitch Black. Well I know that Black is hard to keep clean and doubly problematic in a place like Arizona. My usual routine with my current car is to start it in the morning, let it warm up and use a california duster, LIGHTLY. 2 bucket hand wash once a week on Saturday. I realize that overtime scratches can develop in the clear coat and be seen in black. My thinking is to get it detailed/buffed yearly.

If you have a black car and live in a dusty area, what are your thoughts. Would you do it again?
I agree I try to get mine detailed every 4 or 5 months. Makes it easy to maintain a nice gloss on your car

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand your situation entirely, "RoostKing." Prior to acquiring my YJ, I owned a Pitch Black R/T, and like yourself, used a California Duster daily, and washed weekly. Polish, buffing, wax and any required additional detailing usually occurred twice annually. For all of that effort and cost, however, I had (IMO) one of the prettiest Challengers I'd ever seen.

Would I go with black again? Well....................if I do buy a Hellcat, which I wouldn't even consider until 2016, I'm afraid it would have to be Black -or- possibly, the Black Phantom Pearl (upon close inspection.)

There's just something alluring about black that would almost certainly "draw me back" into choosing it , or a close variant, once again !!!!!!!!!

Good luck with your pursuit, and..........

Regards,

Gary aka "beamg5"

·
Premium Member
2014 rt shaker
750 Posts
Black is not a color, it's a job.

I traded my first pitch black challenger in, and as tempting as it was to go with a color that was easier to maintain, I went ahead and replaced it with another in pitch black.
The car just looks SO BAD AS* in pitch black, i deal with the work.

Good luck

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
you should get a black mustang...you'll hate ownership twice as much.
If you're OCD about keeping a car clean then black will become a way of life.
You'll spend way more time fussing and being aggravated and alot less time enjoying

·
Registered
256 Posts
As a current owner of a 2014 Pitch Black RD and other cars in black, I can say that having black paint is like having a smoking hot super model who gives legendary, ahem, back rubs, but is also a total psycho. Black will show the swirls no matter how careful. The other colors swirl but just are not that obvious. I use a California duster, it gets a wash every 2 weeks, wax every other month and clay bar in January and in June and is covered every night (cats) I get rave compliments all the time swirls and all. As long as you go in knowing it's going to be an uphill battle keeping it clean the compliments are worth it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
The California Duster is great for light dust that's been sitting on the car for 1 to 2 days, anymore than that and might risk some fine scratching. Dust top to bottom, and I always shake it out between panels.

Also, spend the little extra and get the original version with the wood handle. The version with the plastic handle is junk.

·
Banned
5,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I run the cali duster almost every day currently. #thestruggleisreal
Ive seen your car, it looks good! Would you do it again?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand your situation entirely, "RoostKing." Prior to acquiring my YJ, I owned a Pitch Black R/T, and like yourself, used a California Duster daily, and washed weekly. Polish, buffing, wax and any required additional detailing usually occurred twice annually. For all of that effort and cost, however, I had (IMO) one of the prettiest Challengers I'd ever seen.

Would I go with black again? Well....................if I do buy a Hellcat, which I wouldn't even consider until 2016, I'm afraid it would have to be Black -or- possibly, the Black Phantom Pearl (upon close inspection.)

There's just something alluring about black that would almost certainly "draw me back" into choosing it , or a close variant, once again !!!!!!!!!

Good luck with your pursuit, and..........

Regards,

Gary aka "beamg5"
Did the Cali duster work reasonably well between washes? I do go over the panels very lightly, no pressing down at all, just letting the "brush" glide, barely touching.

you should get a black mustang...you'll hate ownership twice as much.
If you're OCD about keeping a car clean then black will become a way of life.
You'll spend way more time fussing and being aggravated and alot less time enjoying
Not OCD and since I DD my current car, I will do the same with the HC, so it wont be spotless all the time. I do use the Cali duster daily and the wash weekly, with waxes once in awhile. I dont really take a whole day to "clean and detail" the car. It usually just pick a week and do something daily to clean it. Interior one day, wheels/tires cleaned along with brake calipers, Engine bay another day. You get the idea.

As a current owner of a 2014 Pitch Black RD and other cars in black, I can say that having black paint is like having a smoking hot super model who gives legendary, ahem, back rubs, but is also a total psycho. Black will show the swirls no matter how careful. The other colors swirl but just are not that obvious. I use a California duster, it gets a wash every 2 weeks, wax every other month and clay bar in January and in June and is covered every night (cats) I get rave compliments all the time swirls and all. As long as you go in knowing it's going to be an uphill battle keeping it clean the compliments are worth it!
My current SRT is the first time I have really put this much time into washing and detailing a car. I bought the best microfiber cloths, no edges, no tags etc and I still have gotten some swirls, so realize I will probably never have the most detailed car out there, so getting it detailed once or twice a year is doable.

Thanks for the tips and input. Pitch Black, Black and Red interior, tinted windows and brass monkey wheels. :5: Damn this combo just fits the hellcat name! Plus I have something planned for the hood...

IF the price is not outrageous that is!!!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
My Pitch Black Challenger is a daily driver and parked in my garage whenever at home. I have taken to wiping it down with Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer spray (for black paint) and a microfiber cloth every evening when I get home from work---this takes me less than ten minutes, and I like doing it anyway because it's relaxing. Everybody at my office can't believe how sharp & glossy my car looks every day.

I haven't used the California Duster thing in over ten years. I'd think hard about owning a Pitch Black car in a very dusty environment or where I did not have the benefit of a garage to keep her in. Granite Crystal would be my choice under those circumstances.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My current 300C SRT8 is black. With the carbon rims, it looks grrrreat. Here in South Florida not much dust, but a lot of rain.

Anyone wash with mineral free water?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts