Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,929 Posts
Yes, the law is written as targeting the "sideshow" people, but when a factory Scat Pack gets pulled over and it is just an individual driving down the road, then they are taking advantage of the law to write a ticket. Ticket means money for everyone with fees and such. It may be because it's new, but time will tell.

A Guy

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi Guys

For what its worth here in the U.K the regulations state ....

With the sound meter horizontal, set the microphone height so that it is at the height of the exhaust outlet or eight inches from the ground, whichever is higher at an angle of 45 degrees to the exhaust outlet in the direction which gives the greatest distance between it and the vehicle contour at a distance of eighteen inches from the exhaust outlet, then with the vehicle at normal operating temperature, run the engine at 3⁄4 of its ‘maximum power’ speed, and note the sound level reading obtained, it must be below 99db

However the police never carry sound meters and during our inspection the noise fail criteria says "Exhaust noise from the vehicle must not be unreasonably above the noise level you'd expect from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition at 2500rpm"

I have never heard anyone failing inspection for noise or getting a ticket here for noise

Regards

Dereck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Its not all good news over here - they do test. I remember a Subaru driver being fined and having to have his car inspected for having too loud an exhaust. But again, I don't understand Harleys - ear-hurting noise sometimes.

I can't find the one I remember, but

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/crime/yarmouth-owner-of-one-of-norfolk-s-noisiest-cars-is-fined-1-1175813

And I think this is similar all over the country:

https://www.essex.police.uk/getmedia/5a4aaf2f-105f-419d-9ea4-2dd658945d07/H0504-Procedure-Loud-Exhaust-Offences.pdf

I have had some loud exhausts, but not too loud - figure if I don't give an obvious reason to get noticed and pulled over, I might avoid it. Seems to have worked reasonably well so far - all though not for the cop who pulled my Lancia integrale over, seemign just for a look at it - told me off for having a dusty dash ;-)

·
Super Moderator
14,412 Posts
this also might have been brought on by the "tuner" imports with the "fart cannon" exhausts.

As many might recall, there was a recent poll about that. Those things are loud and droney...

back when in lived in SF, you could hear them driving by on side streets, coming up the road and if going up a hill even more so.

·
Registered
92 Posts
California is desperate for a cash cow seeing that the political environment seems to be accepting of illegal immigration. That's going to cost a lot of money, so this exhaust law is a huge KA-CHING!!! for the state. If a cop really wants to be a jerk, 1 cop could easily generate 10K per day+++. I wont be driving my car much any more. It is loud if I drive it hard. But I don't drive it that way, but you can still tell that it COULD be loud. I will get a ticket for sure. I really enjoy my car at the dragstrip too much to neuter it. The 95 decibel law has in fact been here the whole time, but the fact that there was no monetary penalty for the infraction made it a waste of the officers time to pull one over just to issue a fix it ticket. Now that money is involved....watch out. Yes, I live in Southern California.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Yes, the law is written as targeting the "sideshow" people, but when a factory Scat Pack gets pulled over and it is just an individual driving down the road, then they are taking advantage of the law to write a ticket. Ticket means money for everyone with fees and such. It may be because it's new, but time will tell.

A Guy

CA ain't the sharpest tack in the box when it comes to intelligent government but if it was about money I would think the fine would be higher than the $25 figure I read. Even with fees (unless there is a court fee of say $1000) the state's not going to pay for illegal immigrant health care or other social welfare programs on the backs of Challenger owners with loud exhaust.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Definitely not going to pay for the programs on just that. This is just one of the MANY ways they generate money to help pay for poor governing.

·
Super Moderator
12,929 Posts
I can't say what the law's original intent was, but by making a fine mandatory, it is about money. It will remain to be seen if the cops and HP don't calm down after a bit, and go back to "normal" (mind you again, the actual db levels and laws haven't changed, only the fine being mandatory). Any ticket they write now, they could conceivably have written before. The measurement of the db is specific, but the issuing of tickets isn't based on an actual measurement, it's up to the officers discretion. If the car will indeed pass the test ( http://wmfsyseng.dyndns.org/engenharia/normas////SAE////SAEJ1169v002.pdf ), then the referee will certify as such. But the owner will have to go to court, and the referee and pass.

And yes while the fine isn't this $1000 guaranteed, it is dependent on how the cop writes it up, and as always, the fees are tacked on

r7bso1hk48hfqqk8yjcr.jpg

$25 with all fees = $197

Assuming all these people up in arms and posting how they got busted, etc. are unusual in that this hasn't been happening all along, then the cops at least see a change, and are now ticketing when they didn't before. Something is causing that. Perhaps their superiors told them to concentrate on it for whatever reason. The cop in this video repeatedly says $1000, and that they have a dozen cops working on this

Again, what is the motivation if this is an individual riding down the road? That this individual will ultimately join a group for a takeover or street race? They may be trying to get the word out, so to speak.

A Guy

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Getting stopped for exhaust violations is largely depended on how one chooses to drive the car.
I can't even imagine a stock scat pack being stopped for loud exhaust unless the driver is intentionally driving in a way to make noise.

For instance...
Yesterday I was stopped at a light in downtown Columbia, SC. I heard an exceptionally loud Mustang way before I saw it. It came from my right and powered hard through the intersection. I guessed that he was showing off towards my B5 SP. I wasn't impressed. I made my left turn and followed in heavy, dual lane traffic about 6 cars back. He continually revved it and you could have heard it 10 blocks back. Well, I looked in the mirror and saw a patrol car about 6 cars behind me. Oops! The cop didn't make any attempt to get through the traffic and we travelled through several traffic lights with the Mustang still showing off. Finally, the mustang turned right and when the cop got to that intersection, so did he, and lit it up.
So, this was a blatant case of stupidity in downtown traffic. I suspect a whole lot of people get themselves into messes just because they don't use their heads.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Stupid behavior will get the cop's attention.

There are other things, too. Once in a while I'm stopped at a stop light and there's a police car or a CHP car positioned so I can observe the officer.

Invariably the officer's head swivels to pick up a real loud car or one all tricked out in special wheels or weird body parts or lowered or with garish paint, or at the other end of the spectrum a real beater of a car. If the driver does anything stupid he's going to get pulled over.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Last time I had an inspection was about 2014 I think. Couple new cars in a row, first time ever for me, and I've avoided the tax.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

·
Registered
953 Posts
They’ll continue to conduct “studies” until they get one that effectively shuts down cruise nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
It sounds like California is getting to be like Virginia.

any modifications - tint, lowered suspension, added on lighting, exhaust will get you in trouble there.

As related from a number of ex-Virginians that live in NC or SC have mentioned
Our free country isn't so free any longer. They impose laws to project or as stated in another post to enforce the politicians agenda's. The price of freedom is tolerating certain things. Laws shouldn't come into play unless some could be physically/emotionally hurt by someone else. I don't think loud exhaust and tinted windows is going to hurt anyone. They pick on tint because it doesn't allow cops to see into your car, which I think kind of infringes on the privacy rights. Regarding establishing laws to protect, some are to protect people from themselves, and it's typically for reckless people. And lets face it, that relates back to the survival of the fittest. Dumb enough to take risks then you pay the consequences. Freedom isn't always safe, doesn't mean it should be removed.

I wonder if the people in these states can start protesting things laws to get them removed?

·
Super Moderator
12,929 Posts
Many cities already have posted no cruising signs and laws. Basically no passing the same point in a certain time period, such as 2 hours. If it's the city center, I can understand, but many were long empty stretches with everyone turning around at either end. It's been a long time, but it was just see and be seen, rarely anyone burning rubber or racing. Engine revving sure, but it was peaceful and rarely any trouble.

Sideshows are not cruising, people doing doughnuts with people hanging out windows and doors, people in the middle, shootings, etc. Oh well...Get off my lawn!

A Guy

·
Registered
953 Posts
“The whole strip is shrinking. I remember, about five years ago, take you a couple of hours and a tank full of gas just to make one circuit. It was really somethin’”. -John Milner, American Graffiti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Our free country isn't so free any longer. They impose laws to project or as stated in another post to enforce the politicians agenda's. The price of freedom is tolerating certain things. Laws shouldn't come into play unless some could be physically/emotionally hurt by someone else. I don't think loud exhaust and tinted windows is going to hurt anyone. They pick on tint because it doesn't allow cops to see into your car, which I think kind of infringes on the privacy rights. Regarding establishing laws to protect, some are to protect people from themselves, and it's typically for reckless people. And lets face it, that relates back to the survival of the fittest. Dumb enough to take risks then you pay the consequences. Freedom isn't always safe, doesn't mean it should be removed.

I wonder if the people in these states can start protesting things laws to get them removed?
Actually it is getting more free in my area. The cops stop chasing you for speeding and just send you a ticket with a picture of your plate. No more "fleeing and Alluding" charges for me and no more points going on my license since the ticket goes to the car owner and not the driver, there are no points. Makes me feel like I can drive however fast I want, I just "pay a fee" to do it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts