Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
144 Posts
I don’t believe any catback exhausts have CARB certification. I thought as long as you had your cats and I think mufflers you were ok.

My 77 Trans Am with an LS3 passed smog and it has cats and mufflers. Definitely no CARB #s on the exhaust behind the cats.

I’m guessing that the Race and Thunder systems would fail the visual but the other 2 should be ok.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,717 Posts
Generally cat back is not an issue. No emissions devices on the exhaust after the cat

A Guy

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have the thunder system and it sounds amazing!!! I’m in ny so I can’t say about legal. The guys at solo are awesome to work with, top notch customer service!! Definitely recommend!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nice! I was debating between the Race and Thunder option.

For the CA folks - what about the lack of mufflers - do you think the 2 kits without mufflers would still pass smog?

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Worked at a performance oriented muffler shop in my youth and we would install a duel exhaust system with glass packs ranging from twelve to thirty inches long for $49. Imagine that!. Had a number of customers return after getting cited for a loud exhaust and we would then install a muffler that would correct the issue. On the other hand, it's perfectly OK for a motorcycle going by being so loud, that you need ear plugs as you sit there getting a ticket for a loud exhaust system. What's up with that?

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Worked at a performance oriented muffler shop in my youth and we would install a duel exhaust system with glass packs ranging from twelve to thirty inches long for $49. Imagine that!. Had a number of customers return after getting cited for a loud exhaust and we would then install a muffler that would correct the issue. On the other hand, it's perfectly OK for a motorcycle going by being so loud, that you need ear plugs as you sit there getting a ticket for a loud exhaust system. What's up with that?

HOT ROD ON
Loud Pipes Save Lives

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,717 Posts
California doesn't do an inspection except for the visual inspection of the emission system devices. They would confirm the cats are in place, but unless the exhaust system had holes in it, it shouldn't be an issue. They don't do a sniffer test any more either, just the OBD-II test. Generally a cat back is not an emissions item.

California does have an exhaust decibel law, but the smog people won't care about that.

A Guy

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks - I’m thinking to proceed with the Solo Thunder kit then. Yeah just have to not be dumb when driving near cops:)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just FYI I ended up going with the Solo Mach Shorty as the Thunder model is just for Chargers. Steve at Solo was super helpful and advised that the shorty kit is closest to the Thunder one. Hope to get it installed next week.

In the few months I’ve owned my Challenger I’ve been really impressed by the parts vendors I’ve dealt with. For being small businesses they’ve all been super responsive, informative and easy to work with. This hasn’t been the case with some of the cars I’ve modified in the past.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts