Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone install these before? I thought it would be a no brainer but nothing went like the videos I've watched on you tube. I guess at least the back ones will work, they don't completely cover the caliper brackets and no matter how you tighten them down they still slide around so I'm afraid they'll move around on their own and get hung on the wheels.

the front is a really different story. the clips when installed will rub the caliper (doesn't that move?) and according to the instructions the brackets on the covers are supposed to rest on the caliper brackets on each end.. get one on one end they other is a couple of inches short.. looks like they sent the wrong ones but then again maybe it's too simple and I'm overlooking something obvious.. any ideas or help?

thanks.

·
Registered
411 Posts
That's how mine were when I installed them, it's really not a big deal. I've had them on for over 2 years with no problems, I actually just recently took them off to wax and polish them and then reinstalled them.

And if you do over tighten, the brackets will start moving, just make sure your rotor is clear of the bracket by spinning it and everything should be good. ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1399826749.805256.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I believe caliper covers are an accident waiting to happen. I would paint mine if I wanted a different look with high heat paint.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That's how mine were when I installed them, it's really not a big deal. I've had them on for over 2 years with no problems, I actually just recently took them off to wax and polish them and then reinstalled them.

And if you do over tighten, the brackets will start moving, just make sure your rotor is clear of the bracket by spinning it and everything should be good. View attachment 213218

yea, there's probably 5/8" clearance between the rear covers and the backs of the wheel spokes.. but that's with the covers flat against the calipers.. (don't know if that's right either)..

did your front cover brackets rest on the caliper brackets? mine are not big enough to reach each end.. I think they sent me the wrong fronts.. it took over a month to get them so if they can't resolve my issues in a big hurry they'll just have to refund me and I'll live with the factory look.

Mopar4Bama, I really didn't buy them for looks really although the consistent all black cover with the R/T logo I think looks better than the charcoal caliper and the silver bracket... I mainly was told it might curb some of the copious amounts of brake dust and possibly keep the brakes a little cooler as they claim and in a weak moment I bought them.. I should have know there would be a problem with something so incredibly simple.

I guess I'll see what they say on Monday, they have a customer service number to call with help but they're not open on Saturday... (the only time I have to do anything like this)

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I believe caliper covers are an accident waiting to happen. I would paint mine if I wanted a different look with high heat paint.
Agreed. They are easy to paint with the right stuff. I used G2 on my Viper and it was easy and turned out looking great. Can't even imagine what would happen if one of those covers came loose while driving... Best of luck with whatever you do.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yea it really shouldn't be a problem with installing it, it took me 10 mins, the time consuming part was lifting the car putting it on jack stands, taking the wheels off etc... But you shouldn't have a problem, my front brackets were plenty long to hug the caliper bracket entirely.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea it really shouldn't be a problem with installing it, it took me 10 mins, the time consuming part was lifting the car putting it on jack stands, taking the wheels off etc... But you shouldn't have a problem, my front brackets were plenty long to hug the caliper bracket entirely.

thanks, they just sent me the wrong ones I guess. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Take them off, paint the calipers, you can even get the overlay letters(Mopar or R/T) and they're cheap. It's easier and safer and cheaper to paint them than using the covers (my opinion). Good luck, hope everything gets resolved to your satisfaction. :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Thats exactly what I did with mine :)

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
I haven't heard of a single story of failed MGP caliper covers, mine are on there pretty tight, only way they'll come off is if the car's in a crash or you go off-roading on a daily basis....

Over 2 years and counting... Zero issues.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
for you guys that have them, do yours mount tight up against the caliper, or is there an air space between the covers and the calipers?

thanks..

·
Registered
411 Posts
for you guys that have them, do yours mount tight up against the caliper, or is there an air space between the covers and the calipers?

thanks..

I first press up the cover against the brake caliper and adjust my brackets accordingly, even if the brackets are not straight, I adjust them
So the caliper covers are flush against my brake caliper and they hug them tightly. Make sure you tighten the bolts as you press up against the cover in the position you want it, otherwise the brackets and the caliper will move around the more you tighten it.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I first press up the cover against the brake caliper and adjust my brackets accordingly, even if the brackets are not straight, I adjust them
So the caliper covers are flush against my brake caliper and they hug them tightly. Make sure you tighten the bolts as you press up against the cover in the position you want it, otherwise the brackets and the caliper will move around the more you tighten it.

thanks, just making sure. :)

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I had the MGP ones on my SE for over 3 years without any issues/

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, after talking to the mfg.. it was really simple. somebody at CarID changed the order after they sent me the confirmation for the correct part #... to a "SXT single piston caliper" set up. not happy with CarID's help resolving their screw up.. might just have to dispute the charge on my credit card. at this point I've been waiting two days on them to "approve" a return.

to be clear, the fella I talked to at MGP got kinda smart with me about it too so I really don't know if I want to do business ever again with either company. what ever happened to sorry we screwed up and we'll make it right?

I guess we'll see.

Reactions: hudrock

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Sorry bruder, when I changed rotors/pads a while back I taped off calipers to reshoot Silver high heat paint (not brackets tho just the Calipers). Then I made a very small pattern (small square cut in a piece of cardboard) and shot Flat black through the pattern to the center of front calipers, and let dry. Then I just added a couple of vinyl letters over the black and shot the silver high heat paint several coats, dried and removed masking and this is the result, VERY little clearance with the 18" Boss 338s so can't cover fronts, left the rears just silver. :D

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
I think the key to caliper covers is not to over tighten the nuts and to use loctite blue.

I've had no issues with mine.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Late to the party... how thick are covers... if they can be mounted flush on the caliper - how much will they stick out. With my aftermarket wheels, I am lucky if I have a 1/4" clearance between the caliper and the spokes on my wheels...

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
they lay flat against the calipers, pretty thin. I've got almost an inch clearance with factory wheels.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts