Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 2010 R/T with about 90k miles on it. I was wondering what the typical lifetime for calipers is.

I replaced my front brake pads recently, and I had a weird issue. One of side, I had a ton of trouble getting the caliper to retract. I finally gave up using a clamp and was able to get it back to where it should be with a mallet. Not particularly surprised, but frustratingly, it wouldn't retract properly once I was on the road, so the brake was stuck "on."

I replaced that caliper, all seemed well, but when I drove it, I noticed it was now pulling slightly to the other side. After inspecting that, the rotor was super hot. It turns out that side now had the same issue (though less severe) with the caliper getting stuck "on."

After replacing both calipers, things now seem peachy. Is it normal for calipers to go out around 100k or 10 years? Is it possible I did something wrong in my brake pad replacement that caused this?

·
Super Moderator
14,027 Posts
Brake calipers usually last about 100,000 miles. Some owners, however, never have to replace them unless they are cracked or showing visible signs of wear.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,816 Posts
Hi all,
I have a 2010 R/T with about 90k miles on it. I was wondering what the typical lifetime for calipers is.

I replaced my front brake pads recently, and I had a weird issue. One of side, I had a ton of trouble getting the caliper to retract. I finally gave up using a clamp and was able to get it back to where it should be with a mallet. Not particularly surprised, but frustratingly, it wouldn't retract properly once I was on the road, so the brake was stuck "on."

I replaced that caliper, all seemed well, but when I drove it, I noticed it was now pulling slightly to the other side. After inspecting that, the rotor was super hot. It turns out that side now had the same issue (though less severe) with the caliper getting stuck "on."

After replacing both calipers, things now seem peachy. Is it normal for calipers to go out around 100k or 10 years? Is it possible I did something wrong in my brake pad replacement that caused this?
Sounds to me like the calipers’ pistons fell victim to corrosion and pitting from old, contaminated brake fluid. Keeping the brake fluid changed out every couple years/30K miles will keep its moisture level to a minimum, and that’s what helps prevent this sort of thing.

Reactions: SRT8 Mike

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Have driven a number of cars to 150K+ miles and one to 317K miles.

Never ever have I had to replace a caliper, or a master cylinder. Just pads, rotors. The secret? Flushing and bleeding the brake fluid every 2 years or so. (My Hellcat will get its first brake fluid flush/bleed at about 2.5 years.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts