Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 sxt Challenger
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I'm having a little trouble finding the sizing or even anywhere I can purchase a caliper mounting bolt for my 2012 sxt challenger. I was driving today after getting my tpms in my front tires replaced and started hearing a weird knocking on my passenger front side door. When I got home I took off the wheel to inspect and the bottom mounting bolt was just gone? I don't even know if thats what their called truthfully. Its the bottom most bolt thats wider and thicker, I belive 18mm is the head width. Is the bolt the same and possibly interchangeable for newer model sxt challengers?Aside from trying to get one from a dealership I couldn't seem to find them on autozone or advanced auto parts websites. Also, is there any reason why this could have happened? I did change my rotors about 6 months ago but I know I torqued it right and also used thread lock on it? Thanks ans sorry for the text wall. Attached is the area where rhe bolt is supposed to go.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Automotive exhaust

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Check in with Luke at Steve White Motors. He is the vendor I would trust the most to help with anything Mopar. Great guy to deal with. Good luck!

·
Registered
2012 sxt Challenger
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll def take a look. I was hoping for something I could possibly get significantly more local or quickly to me, as my challenger is my daily driver and I obviously don't feel comfortable driving around with a bouncing caliper lol!

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Yeah, I understand. But usually bolts are a dealer only item and then have to be ordered. One concern. I can't tell from the photo. Do you think the bolt fell out or is it broken off inside. If it's the latter, obviously going to the dealer/repair shop!

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,531 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Take the other bolt out and match it at an autoparts store or go to a wrecking yard and harvest one. You can also go to a fastener store. Just make sure, as one of the posters indicated, that the bolt is not broken and that the threads are in good condition.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
27,275 Posts
Bolt Hex Flange Head M14x1.50x45.00

A Guy

·
Registered
2012 sxt Challenger
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you to everyone you replied so quickly and helped me find all the information I need. I really appreciate it everyone!

·
Super Moderator
17,315 Posts
those caliper-to knuckle bolts are torqued down to a high value - at some point in time when the brakes were serviced, the caliper would have been unbolted to service the pads / rotors.

Someone didn't torque the bolt down - plus it would have blue thread locker applied as well

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,147 Posts
I’m thinking if a bolt that large could have made quite a racket if it backed out while driving. In other words, a drop to the ground at speed might have resulted in the bolt tumbling and hitting the undercarriage. Can you recall hearing such a noise?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts