Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Opinions on painted calipers or caliper covers. Covers look cheap?
Lmk if interested in buying my Single piston brake calipers. I had them on for over a year and they still look new. I decided to get the covers rather than painting because of the maintenance, repainting, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking to go red. Do those covers look too large when installed? They look nice.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mine were previously painted black and starting to chip so I'm looking to do something as well.

Keeping down the brake dust on my new rims sounds nice so considering covers.

Sort of dislike the idea of covering the SRT Brembo's though so I'm conflicted.

Would I need to fully remove them to repaint correctly?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd definitely leave the brembos. Taking them off to paint em would be best so you get them good n clean.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I figured as much. It's probably simpler than I think to deal with the brake fluid , bleeding the lines and such. Just one thing I haven't had to do in the past.
I'm sure I can find YouTube vids of the process.

What kind of paint are you guys using?

Rough-up existing paint and/or primer?

Clear coat or similar?

Have you just ordered Brembo labels to apply over the paint when done?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ck out some articles on the net. Just make sure it's a hi temp paint.

I have found several videos and information on the internet but always like to check with my Mopar Brethren on what has worked best for them. Insider scoop if you will ....

·
Registered
971 Posts
Painting vs Covers is largely a personal choice. Some people say painted covers look cheap, and some people say the cover is not functional so it's ricer-bling. I say it's a COVER to make the brakes look better (and potentially keep some of the brake dust down). HALF our exterior and almost ALL our interior mods are for looks only - how many people have added stripes, blacked out or changed their grill, tinted their taillight or side markers, hydro-dipped their dash/console/plastic engine parts, changed their shifter handle or knob, etc.? Those are non-functional appearance mops - so WTF is the difference? look, there's no shortage of dress-up COVERS for our engine parts, so lighten up on a cover for the brakes.

I painted the brakes on my 2012 and then my 2016. If prepped correctly, they'll wear well, but figure on having to repaint again in about two years. Recently I saw a few chips on mine (could be due to how the mechanics handle them for brake inspection or similar maintenance), and the gloss red paint is now faded and flat - so yeah, I'm due to repaint them.

I think both painting or covers look good, but I like the MGP caliper covers better - just have a hard time spending $225+ for them. Then again, I still haven't repainted my calipers yet because I'm still toying with breaking down and buying the bad boys.

The MGP covers are overpriced, but they have a good reputation. Just stay away from the Doorman brand covers because although they cost much less, the fit and quality is junk. And don't bother with the Ebay simulated Brembos - that's definitely ricer-bling (and it's up-badging).

·
Registered
971 Posts
I guess what I'm saying is people prefer different ways of modding their rides and that's cool. if someone doesn't care for caliper covers, that's cool. But when someone trashes them because they are COVERS...they're just being close-minded and ignorant.

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Agree with Rock an Roll everything is personal taste. I could care less what someone does
not like on my car .What I say is let see your ride and your venison for your ride
My covers have held up great !!! 34000 miles still look new ,
Yes they are pricey, but you get what you pay for
Check auto anything they have good prices also the sale on Black Friday
Not that far off
37DED411-E6B9-43C2-8B3B-6AC93C4B9A60.jpeg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Painting vs Covers is largely a personal choice. Some people say painted covers look cheap, and some people say the cover is not functional so it's ricer-bling. I say it's a COVER to make the brakes look better (and potentially keep some of the brake dust down). HALF our exterior and almost ALL our interior mods are for looks only - how many people have added stripes, blacked out or changed their grill, tinted their taillight or side markers, hydro-dipped their dash/console/plastic engine parts, changed their shifter handle or knob, etc.? Those are non-functional appearance mops - so WTF is the difference? look, there's no shortage of dress-up COVERS for our engine parts, so lighten up on a cover for the brakes.

I painted the brakes on my 2012 and then my 2016. If prepped correctly, they'll wear well, but figure on having to repaint again in about two years. Recently I saw a few chips on mine (could be due to how the mechanics handle them for brake inspection or similar maintenance), and the gloss red paint is now faded and flat - so yeah, I'm due to repaint them.

I think both painting or covers look good, but I like the MGP caliper covers better - just have a hard time spending $225+ for them. Then again, I still haven't repainted my calipers yet because I'm still toying with breaking down and buying the bad boys.

The MGP covers are overpriced, but they have a good reputation. Just stay away from the Doorman brand covers because although they cost much less, the fit and quality is junk. And don't bother with the Ebay simulated Brembos - that's definitely ricer-bling (and it's up-badging).
Not sure if that was directed towards me for asking if they were still selling them? I love em! And have a yellow challenger that they would look great on :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've seen those covers before. Do they hold up well? Do they need tightening from time to time? My concern is they come lose while driving and get stuck in the wheel/brake assembly and chaos ensues :D

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
I've seen those covers before. Do they hold up well? Do they need tightening from time to time? My concern is they come lose while driving and get stuck in the wheel/brake assembly and chaos ensues :D
I have never had any issues with them coming lose 34000 miles
Also when I wash the car you spray the end of covers and you see all brake dust
that comes out ,that are not on your wheels

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have never had any issues with them coming lose 34000 miles
Also when I wash the car you spray the end of covers and you see all brake dust
that comes out ,that are not on your wheels
Like that. Guess I'm not done with my shopping list :unsure: Getting them to match body color and with engraving is very pricey for what they are but does look good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
7 Participants
Sublime19
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing