Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks I'm in the market to upgrade my factory poop log manifolds for some shorties. I've decided not to go with the 6.4/6.1 headers and midpipes because I feel changing the midpipes would be a hassle (cats, o2 sensors), and that there probably would not any significant change in power or sound. I think the manifolds on the R/T are the main bottle neck.

To those who have switched from stock to the JBA headers, did you feel it was worth the time and money? Did the exhaust note change and did you notice any improved performance? If anyone has deltas of before and after so I can get an idea of what horsepower and torque increases I can expect. I would of course get my car re-tuned with a custom tune to accomodate the extra flow.

Any opinions, advices and thoughts are all welcome! :phone:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Well folks I'm in the market to upgrade my factory poop log manifolds for some shorties. I've decided not to go with the 6.4/6.1 headers and midpipes because I feel changing the midpipes would be a hassle (cats, o2 sensors), and that there probably would not any significant change in power or sound. I think the manifolds on the R/T are the main bottle neck.

To those who have switched from stock to the JBA headers, did you feel it was worth the time and money? Did the exhaust note change and did you notice any improved performance? If anyone has deltas of before and after so I can get an idea of what horsepower and torque increases I can expect. I would of course get my car re-tuned with a custom tune to accomodate the extra flow.

Any opinions, advices and thoughts are all welcome! :phone:
Installed the JBA titanium coated shorty headers on my 2009 R/T auto three years ago.Yes,worth the money & time in my opinion.Exhaust note did change but to what degree the headers had on this change I can not really say as I also installed a K&N CIA and the CORSA Xtreme cat-back exhaust at the same time.I can however state that the overall the exhaust note improved dramatically,...and all for the better!

I had the car tested when it was 100% stock with 235/55R18 tires on a SuperFlow AutoDyn 30 AWD Chassis Dynamometer and the test readings were: 305RWHP & 319RW ft-lb torque.

After installing the new CAI,exhaust,headers,CMR custom dyno tune & 245/45R20 front - 275/40R20 rear tires/rims the test readings were: 353RWHP & 376RW ft-lb torque on the same dyno.

Extremely satisfied with the results compared to cost.Considering an Arrington Supercharger somewhere down the line.

Here's a video of the results:

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I did the titanium-coated JBA shorties as well, the exhaust didn't really get much louder but it did get more throaty and the resonator-delete glasspack drone did get worse.

I don't have any real before/after results, unfortunately.

Worth the time/effort? Maybe. It was a royal pain in the butt and I'm glad I did it myself, but I never want to do it again. Ever. :) I'm planning on eventually doing more mods anyway (thinking a cam) so I'm sure they were/will be beneficial, and based on other R/T owners that have done the same or similar mods (SRT headers/mids) they did gain about 30rwhp overall.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had the car tested when it was 100% stock with 235/55R18 tires on a SuperFlow AutoDyn 30 AWD Chassis Dynamometer and the test readings were: 305RWHP & 319RW ft-lb torque.

After installing the new CAI,exhaust,headers,CMR custom dyno tune & 245/45R20 front - 275/40R20 rear tires/rims the test readings were: 353RWHP & 376RW ft-lb torque on the same dyno.
Damn near 50rwhp and a touch over 50rwtq for a little over 2 grand are great results! I'm in the same boat as Omaha as far as trying to decide what I want to do. Go for LT's or stick with shorty's, and I would say that if you can get those results with shorty's I'm leaning in that direction...

·
Registered
615 Posts
I did them (ceramic coated) on the '10 RT Classic (looked just like yours) I had. I also had a CAI and Magnaflow exhaust. I did not notice much change in exhaust and I never dynoed it. I will say this, there are two bolts on the passenger side that were a complete PITA!!! I gave myself a weekend to do it. At the time I did it, people were recommending using the SRT (6.1) gaskets for the install. Don't. Use the 5.7 gaskets. They have a heat shield built in to them. After I installed mine, I ran into trouble getting the car started because of heat issues on the wiring. I ended up zip-tying the wires against the firewall away from the headers. The bolts that my set came with were pretty crappy too. I ended up getting some Stage8 bolts for the install.

·
Registered
637 Posts
They are most likely just as good as the STR ones. Only real difference is the flange size to the mid pipes, one nice feature about the srt shortys is the way that they are insulated, keeping heat in the tubes increases air flow. Coated JBA's should keep the heat in as well.

Either way you will be removing the mid pipes and factory cats arent going to give you any issues with the o2 sensors. I have magnaflow mid pipes and have never had a code.

·
Registered
332 Posts
OmahaRumble - I wish I could answer your question right now, but my JBA's are sitting in my basement waiting to be installed end of March early April. I'm not doing my own install as I have read too many post on how fun they are to install and I know my limitations.

I will be doing a before and after dyno, but I am also doing a 6.4 cam and custom tune so my numbers probably won't help.

If you haven't pulled the trigger by the time I get mine installed I will post up my impressions.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow you guys are awesome! Thank you for so many thoughts and opinions.

After reading this thread and doing some searches I think it's in my best interest to stay with what I got now. When I get my flutter fixed tomorrow on my Zoomers I have more than enough sound to satisfy me. I think I just got excited because I had burning hole in my pocket. Instead I'm going to improve the sound of my car, but by getting a better radio/stereo.

In the future, though I'm sure I'll come back to this and get some JBAs. I have no intention of FI or a built engine, so there's no reason to go to longtubes. If I do get some I'd pay a shop to do the work, I've heard installing headers on a Challenger can cause PTSD. :ack:

Thanks again guys. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
255 Posts
As others have said very little difference in sound but I did notice at higher RPM the motor seems to rev more freely. I have titanium coated which probably help with underhood temps but if I had to do it over again I'd go with the stock SRT headers. Cheaper and I'd assume you'd get similar results.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Can anyone post a pic of the factory exhaust manifolds, off the car? Thanks--
Top pic (In case it's not obvious. :D)

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have them done and they do give you a few extra hp... Install was a pita. In my car it actually took a little sound away don't really know why. It's a mod that's probably not worth the extra coin but once you have done everything else common people can afford go for it. It's not a 10,000 dollar supercharger and rightfully so no where near the power. For the money get long tubes, price of install is the same for more power....

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Here's some more info. on the JBA shorty header thang.

Installed the Titanium coated JBA shorty headers on my 2009 R/T Auto.They are a quality product aside from the gaskets,(felt like material), they provide with the kit which should be replaced with a new set of the 5.7L gaskets that came with your car as they have the flange that protects the valve cover gaskets from heat damage. Also,you will have to protect the alternator cable on the passenger side as it will be susceptible to heat damage
by the header after installation.You can heat wrap the cable or use a heavy duty nylon tie to lift it away from the header by 1.5"-2" then fasten the tie to the electrical cable bundle that runs to the fuse box,...the latter is what I chose to do and has been satisfactory for 3 years now,(see pics).

Car was on a lift and motor mounts removed to lift engine,...made life easy.Had the CORSA Xtreme cat-back and K&N CAI installed at the same time.Drove the car for a month with no problems before I got the Diablosport Predator #7135.Installed the CAI 91 Octane tune that the Predator came with,then a few months later did some data logging for a Predator custom tune.With the above mentioned mods the car runs much better than stock and
have experienced no codes or other problems.After the work was done I just let the car sit and ildle for 20 minutes to allow the ECM adjust(re-learn) to the mods before driving it at low speeds for 30 minutes,...than took it on the Hwy for a 15 minute run,...all was well.

I should also mention that at the same time a CORSA Xtreme cat-back was installed along with a K&N CAI so that is the sound you will hear in the attached video of my first post to this thread.To sum up,...yes,it was worth the investment,...love the way the car sounds.

The JBA Titanium Ceramic coated shorty headers that have a heat range of 1600*F.They are built well with a 3/8" flange so warping is not a concern.There were no fitment issues.

MOPAR OEM Exhaust Manifold Gasket Part #'s - 53032965af & 530332966af

Stainless Steel - 1964S - Temp.Rating 1300 Degrees F
Silver Ceramic Coated - 1964SJS - Temp.Rating 1500 Degrees F
Titanium Ceramic - 1964SJT - Temp.Rating 1600 Degrees F

Link to another members JBA Shorty Header install.He installed them without using a lift.Click on each individual picture for a detailed explanation of each procedure: JBA Pix Photos by CenlaBlooz | Photobucket

Attachments

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
More JBA shorty header pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Wow you guys are awesome! Thank you for so many thoughts and opinions.

After reading this thread and doing some searches I think it's in my best interest to stay with what I got now. When I get my flutter fixed tomorrow on my Zoomers I have more than enough sound to satisfy me. I think I just got excited because I had burning hole in my pocket. Instead I'm going to improve the sound of my car, but by getting a better radio/stereo.

In the future, though I'm sure I'll come back to this and get some JBAs. I have no intention of FI or a built engine, so there's no reason to go to longtubes. If I do get some I'd pay a shop to do the work, I've heard installing headers on a Challenger can cause PTSD. :ack:

Thanks again guys. :bigthumb:
Also, if you stick with shorties you actually have more/better options for a turbo setup. This may be oversimplifying but essentially long tubes are better for NA and Supercharged. Short tubes are better for Turbocharged or keeping emissions friendly while increasing performance.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Also, shortys have more ground clearance compared to long tubes... I cringe when headers scrape the ground!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
After reading this thread and doing some searches I think it's in my best interest to stay with what I got now. When I get my flutter fixed tomorrow on my Zoomers I have more than enough sound to satisfy me.
What are you doing to accomplish this feat? Did it work out as you expected?

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What are you doing to accomplish this feat? Did it work out as you expected?
It was too cold (below freezing) and the Quiksteel didn't dry/cure. When I warmed the car up the stuff crumbled. Now that it's getting warmer I'm going to give it another shot. Basically what I'm doing is smoothing out the connection between the tip and tailpipe so there is no obstruction or gap where the fast Zoomer air is getting trapped a little, causing the flutter.

I will try again when it's a little warmer and give you an update. I was told this could be a cheap, cost effective way to get rid of the flutter. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 30 Posts