Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm still debating whether to buy a new 2017 Challenger SXT Plus with the Blacktop package in Yellow Jacket Yellow, sunroof and Harmon Kardon stereo. I'd like to hear from those of you (only) who own or have owned a V-6 Challenger. I already know that this is not a "hot rod" but I'd like to hear your opinions and advice. The dealer has offered it to me for $29,800 "OUT THE DOOR" including a 3 year FCA oil change package. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
IMO
I purchased my RT plus for $36K. Fully loaded with leather heated wheel heated and cooled seats . Im sure you can get intonan RT for very close to that $30K mark i would keep looking at options.
Any particular reason you want an sxt?

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,881 Posts
Until recently I owned a bare bones 2016 SXT that I bought for $18,000 used and traded it in almost for that price less than a year later. It was surprisingly great, efficient had lots if get-up and go! It didn't have any good exhaust notes however and that's really what I missed the most from my V8s. Now that being said, I would have a hard time putting down 30K for an SXT. I understand it's fully loaded, but still. I am sure when you weigh all the options its worth it in price but it's still 30K without a V8 engine. Just my opinion.

·
Banned
87 Posts
I have a 2016 R/T Plus 5.7 Hemi 6-Speed. My wife has a 2017 GT AWD with the V-6 and the 8 Speed Automatic. I've driven the GT and it screams. 305 HP. You look down at the speedo and your doing 80 and don't even know it. Don't let the fact that it only has 6 piston fool you. It's still every bit of a muscle car!!!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMO
I purchased my RT plus for $36K. Fully loaded with leather heated wheel heated and cooled seats . Im sure you can get intonan RT for very close to that $30K mark i would keep looking at options.
Any particular reason you want an sxt?
Because I don't need a V8 and it suits my purpose, just fine. BTW: The sticker price on this car is $35,470. This is NOT stripped down SXT!

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I have a 16 Scat Pack Shaker with a 6spd for fair weather fun driving. After I bought it and drove it awhile putting it away and getting into my DD ford focus ST became a real let down so I traded the Focus in on a 17 Challenger GT and I found that I like the GT 3.6L automatic as much as the 6.4L manual. It is fun to drive the GT hard and be able to use all the power the V6 has witch is on par with the horse power of my 57 Olds 88 Rocket with the J2 Tri-power 300hp. I can wring all the power out of both of them any time I want but with the Scat Pack you have to be careful with the throttle or you will spin out and find your self in a ditch or worse.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a non-plus just like what you are looking at- yellow jacket with blacktop. Such a great looking car. 305 HP is really plenty unless you have track aspirations. My car averages about 25mpg mixed driving. The exhaust note is quiet but quiet is a virtue for a lot of people. An aftermarket exhaust can make it sound awesome- Borla S or Flowmaster sound really good.
I think you can push the dealer on price. My car stickered at 30K and I got it for 7200.00 off sticker plus taxes. Not sure what your state taxes are... Just tell them you are looking at an 18 at another dealer for the same price and let them come back to you. You can buy the car cheaper. A leftover 17 should make them really willing to deal.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
This is hysterical! He in RED said V6 owners only. I get it. You're right about the money. Just funny looking at who responds.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
This is hysterical! He in RED said V6 owners only. I get it. You'se all are right about the money. Just funny looking at who responds....
Yes but he modified his initial post (0900) after most of us responded. So give some of us a break lol.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have had two V6 Challengers and loved them. Having said that I am on my second V8 Challenger. GET THE V 8 CHALLENGER! If nothing other than for the sound alone, and they have the torque to get these heavy cars off the line quicker. At the price point you are at, you can afford it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes but he modified his initial post (0900) after most of us responded. So give some of us a break lol.
Actually, not quite true, I highlighted only in red after some V8 guys thought they should put in their 2 cents worth. As you may have guessed from my user name, I am a former owner of an SRT392 (a 2016) so I know all about V8's and I do have the 5.7l in my '12 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Actually, not quite true, I capitalized ONLY in red after some V8 guys thought they should put in their 2 cents worth. As you may have guessed from my user name, I am a former owner of an SRT392 so I know all aboutV8's and I do have the 5.7l in my '12 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
My point was u modified your initial post and now it stands out better. I wasnt lying, and you modified the price just a smidge as well. I was just helping my fellow forum members.
It sounds like you have made up your mind and since you have already owned a V8 what are really asking?

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
HUGE break! I don't care, quite enjoyed it. Hahahaha. Great advice that he needed to hear IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
I'm on my 3rd V6 Challenger. The first was a '09 SE with the 3.5 an a 4 speed transmission. I didn't realize what a dog it was until I bought a 13 with the 3.6 and a 5 speed transmission. I now have a 16 with the 3.6 and the A8 transmission. It's amazing to see the difference between the A5 and this A8. So, i'm pretty darned happy with where I'm at now, with no plans of upgrading to a V8 or buying a newer model anytime soon.

I did rent a Charger R/T for a week last year while on vacation. In all honesty, I felt the difference between the 5.7 and the 3.6 wasn't all that much. The downside of the 3.6 engine is getting it to sound good, if that matters to you. There are threads in the V6 board that can help you.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all of you who provided feedback as requested to my post regarding V6 Challengers. To the others promoting V8's and dissing V6's, your comments were not pertinent and not at all helpful but I guess you really couldn't help yourselves in this texting, tweeting, and facebooking world.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I got a Challenger only because FCA took orders for PCP in V6 forum in 2016. It's not that I could not afford a Hemi. It's not that I don't want a Hemi. I see 300hp as just fine. With the 8 speed auto, I don't feel any weakness (or regrets). Same also, if the 8speed wasn't on the V6, I would not get it. Meaning I was not going to pay $$$ for a 4 or 5 speed auto today.

Other than what others have said, the only advice I would offer on getting a V6 is to load it up. Because mine was ordered, I got exactly what I want, leather, nav, etc, etc. To me, it's a luxury cruiser. It's big, it's smooth, and reminds me of the muscle cars of the 70s.

True, some Hellcats, RTs, and 392 pull up next to me. I give them the respect. They are faster, so no need to rev or even speed up. And I got nothing to prove. I will just cruise with my disco music and windows down.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got my 2018 SXT Plus at about the same price point 34.5k sticker 29.5k out the door. Honestly, for only 2-5k difference for the base V8, I took the decked out SXT. It has the drivers convenience package which is what I was really looking for and the gas, using 87, it doesn't hurt to fill the tank. I live just outside of D.C with a 2 mile, 15 minute commute to work so I don't really need the extra speed. Overall, it's worth the bang for the buck. I did try and get a 17 over an 18 with the same package and they wouldn't budge below 29k.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought my base sxt as cheap transportation......a year and a half later i love the car! I've had some pretty fast classic cars and even a viper, so at this point in my life ive been there and done that....and my expectations coming into it were realistic - as one poster noted above, its a great "grand touring" car - reminiscent of earlier muscle cars....and a lot more fun than a camry or accord - the one you are looking at is killer - and i believe the blacktop cars come with 3.07 gears for a little more umpf off the line....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts