Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Challenger RT 8/A which just had a comp cam 270 installed with all the supporting mods i.e. Valve springs, retainers, pushrods, MDS delete lifters etc. I also had a set of kooks long tubes and catted mids put on. The shop that did the install used Johan for the tuning and it took almost 40 revisions and the car still doesn't run at 100%. It still starts hard, surges at idle and while driving, won't idle at less than 900rpm or else it stalls or kicks me out of drive, and feels like it's misfiring down in the low range but no codes and I had the shop install all new spark plugs and o2 sensors. I'm also getting severe driveline whiplash downshifting from 3rd to 2nd if I'm not shifting manually which is the same gear change that makes it stall if I have the idle set to less than 900. Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences? Maybe I should switch to HPTuners instead of my diablo tuner? I'm out of ideas so any help at all would be greatly appreciated because I'm sitting on an entire forged 392 Stroker kit that I won't get installed until the car is running the way it should.

·
Registered
624 Posts
i've used the guy you speak of for tuning on my 2015 RT 6M for long tube headers and he was pretty good, took about 10 revisions to get it nailed down. Maybe try reaching out to him yourself? I don't think we are really supposed to mention his name on here since he is not a supporting vendor. I would probably look into just going and it getting it dyno tuned at a local shop or somewhere in your area, that seems to be the best way but also most likely to be the most expensive

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've used the guy you speak of for tuning on my 2015 RT 6M for long tube headers and he was pretty good, took about 10 revisions to get it nailed down. Maybe try reaching out to him yourself? I don't think we are really supposed to mention his name on here since he is not a supporting vendor. I would probably look into just going and it getting it dyno tuned at a local shop or somewhere in your area, that seems to be the best way but also most likely to be the most expensive

I gotcha thanks for the warning! They were using a dyno to tune it but sending him the data and getting the revisions from him.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
I've had good luck with him before in the past, but my car was relatively stock too, not too hard to tune. 40 revisions is a lot if it's still not running right. Maybe you should give another tuner a shot. Sean at Hemifever or Mike at OST, etc. They may have tuned more cam swap cars and might have more experience, etc.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I have a 2015 Challenger RT 8/A which just had a comp cam 270 installed with all the supporting mods i.e. Valve springs, retainers, pushrods, MDS delete lifters etc. I also had a set of kooks long tubes and catted mids put on. The shop that did the install used Johan for the tuning and it took almost 40 revisions and the car still doesn't run at 100%. It still starts hard, surges at idle and while driving, won't idle at less than 900rpm or else it stalls or kicks me out of drive, and feels like it's misfiring down in the low range but no codes and I had the shop install all new spark plugs and o2 sensors. I'm also getting severe driveline whiplash downshifting from 3rd to 2nd if I'm not shifting manually which is the same gear change that makes it stall if I have the idle set to less than 900. Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences? Maybe I should switch to HPTuners instead of my diablo tuner? I'm out of ideas so any help at all would be greatly appreciated because I'm sitting on an entire forged 392 Stroker kit that I won't get installed until the car is running the way it should.

To perfectly honest.... Johan can't tune these cars anymore. He hasn't worked for Diablo in quite a while and he is still using the same tricks from several years ago.

Don't waste anymore time dealing with him and do this:

Contact Hemituner (A.J.)

or

Contact Brent @ DTP (Dyno Tuned Performance)

Both can nail the 270 down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To perfectly honest.... Johan can't tune these cars anymore. He hasn't worked for Diablo in quite a while and he is still using the same tricks from several years ago.

Don't waste anymore time dealing with him and do this:

Contact Hemituner (A.J.)

or

Contact Brent @ DTP (Dyno Tuned Performance)

Both can nail the 270 down.

Awesome thanks I'll send them an email!

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
pcm unlock by Diablo?? we have had some issues of late with unlock pcms

the installer that did the cam install, we are sure everything is correct??? not throwing stones, just asking, we have seen some scary stuff from garages and some installers

send us an email to [email protected]

Luke

·
Registered
759 Posts
HP tuners is king in my opinion. Had the shop that did my tuning try and use diablo and the guy (a well known tuner here in AZ) recommended I dump them for HP. I did and love the difference. I came back once with a list of issues after the cam and my tuner cleaned all them up in an hours time.

·
Super Moderator
15,331 Posts
the 270 cam & 5.7 combo is a difficult to tune.

Its going to take someone with lots of experience to get that to play right.

The cam you have is a known challenge for a relatively stock engine of that size, customized tuning and testing is going to be the way to get yours dialed in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pcm unlock by Diablo?? we have had some issues of late with unlock pcms

the installer that did the cam install, we are sure everything is correct??? not throwing stones, just asking, we have seen some scary stuff from garages and some installers

Luke
Yes it's a diablosport pcm. At this point I'm fairly confident nothing is mechanically wrong and the car only has 8500 miles. I believe the installation was done correctly but if more tunes fail I'll have to get that looked at by another shop.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Another tuner to consider is Jay Greene to see if he can straighten it out or Sean @ HemiFever. Good luck, I bet you are getting frustrated with the whole experience

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update : the shop is taking the car back to see if anything was installed incorrectly or any other mechanical issues occurred. I have a few tuners lined up but everyone basically says after that many revisions it's not a tuning problem, and with only 8300 miles it shouldn't be an existing mechanical problem. Dropping off tomorrow and we'll see what happens.

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
with that many revisions, there is a problem
Luke

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update : Found the problem! The pushrods were about a quarter inch too long and they're being replaced. That pretty much explains all my problems so I should have the car back shortly.

·
Premium Member
2014 100th Annivesary R/T
517 Posts
the 270 cam & 5.7 combo is a difficult to tune.

Its going to take someone with lots of experience to get that to play right.

The cam you have is a known challenge for a relatively stock engine of that size, customized tuning and testing is going to be the way to get yours dialed in.
I can attest to this comment. I went with multiple tuners, all of them very well known in the industry and none of them could get it nailed down. I finally got fed up and spent the money for a stroker Hemi 5.7. The money I spent in parts and tuning, not to mention the disappointment in how horrible the Comp 270 is for Hemi 5.7's would have been better spent doing the stroker in the first place.

-Kenny

·
Registered
46 Posts
Update : Found the problem! The pushrods were about a quarter inch too long and they're being replaced. That pretty much explains all my problems so I should have the car back shortly.

Yikes. That worries me. I have the 6.1 with forged push rods and the SRT max plus cam and my car keeps trying to stall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yikes. That worries me. I have the 6.1 with forged push rods and the SRT max plus cam and my car keeps trying to stall.

If you are sure u got the correct part/pushrods...then it's (again) all in the tune.

Auto or 6-spd ? If Auto, u change your Stall Conv ? Who did the tune ?
Not too difficult to diagnose 6.1's cam swaps....:smile:

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Part of the stalling is that cam. With the amount of overlap ( what makes it lump ) it is very hard to tune

1 - 20 of 31 Posts