Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been weighing on me recently
Would be a lot easier to spend 5k on cam and heads and get 60-70rwhp
But spending 12k for a supercharger setup seems like a lot of $$ dodge should have forged the damn pistons to begin with
Decisions decisions

·
Registered
3 Posts
Blower and run 8lbs.. No problem... Oh wait you have a 392.. Never mind, I know lots who run up to 10lbs on the 6.1s but 392s have not been so lucky

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
I ran 8lbs on a totally stock 5.7 auto. Vortech v3
For 30,000 plus miles of beating and a hundred passes or so.
Running deep in the 11s the whole time, along with 1200 mile round trips visiting a sick father
And get 20mpg plus on the highway.
I would go SC any day.
Flattop

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I ran 8lbs on a totally stock 5.7 auto. Vortech v3
For 30,000 plus miles of beating and a hundred passes or so.
Running deep in the 11s the whole time, along with 1200 mile round trips visiting a sick father
And get 20mpg plus on the highway.
I would go SC any day.
Flattop
Yep, the more I read on the SCs the more I'm realizing the SC is the way to go. You don't have to break the engine open to get it installed and as long as you have a good tune you're good for daily driving. Plus if you ever want to sell the car its pretty easy to go back to stock and you can sell the SC separately.

I'm looking at the Maggie's just b/c I have a Cervinis shaker and apparently those are the only type that can be fit under the shaker. Haven't read a bad review about the Maggies....

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only thing I'm worried about is our pos pistons cracking under 8lbs boost
6lbs seems too light and it's going to cost an additional 3k just to but the pistons /labor

·
Vendor
12,220 Posts
8700.00 installed out the door, 8lbs of boost, and 560+ hps, easy simple, efficient.....also need to remember that when driving normally with the Magnuson, your not into boost, so its very easy on the engine, very docile, almost like a regular car until you step into it and wake up a sleeping giant....
Luke

ps 15k miles on my R/T with more than 8lbs of boost, no issues, 22 to 23 mpg on the hwy and lots of road trips

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a great deal
Someone spooked me about the pistons breaking but I'm sure you have done many installs without any issues

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Sounds like a great deal
Someone spooked me about the pistons breaking but I'm sure you have done many installs without any issues
You're right, I spoken to several people who say that the 5.7s shouldn't run more than six, and others who say they've ran more. I also found a guy who said he blew his running 5. Glad you asked the question, hopefully more people will chime in.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
8700.00 installed out the door, 8lbs of boost, and 560+ hps, easy simple, efficient.....also need to remember that when driving normally with the Magnuson, your not into boost, so its very easy on the engine, very docile, almost like a regular car until you step into it and wake up a sleeping giant....
Luke

ps 15k miles on my R/T with more than 8lbs of boost, no issues, 22 to 23 mpg on the hwy and lots of road trips
What about the 392 though. What's your prediction for RWHP @8lbs? Should the connecting rod AND pistons be swapped out? Lastly, specific to the 392, for around town & sometimes 1/4 mile, roots/twin rotor or centrifugal? Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
It's been weighing on me recently
Would be a lot easier to spend 5k on cam and heads and get 60-70rwhp
But spending 12k for a supercharger setup seems like a lot of $$ dodge should have forged the damn pistons to begin with
Decisions decisions
Seems like all these guys are running SCs. You gotta talk to both sides. Ill be putting in a small cam and headers this week.

Cam, heads,headers intake ported would put you close to 70-100 more hp for little over $4k

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
540 Posts
You could go with a Zex wet nitrous kit with a 100 shot and see the 70 HP to the wheels you're looking for for less than $700. Some spark plugs a couple heat ranges cooler and the tuner that comes with the kit and you should be all set on your stock rotating assembly.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems like all these guys are running SCs. You gotta talk to both sides. Ill be putting in a small cam and headers this week.

Cam, heads,headers intake ported would put you close to 70-100 more hp for little over $4k

Cool
Yea let me know how the comp cam works out for you
I don't think we have a lot of results yet on 392 cams unless others can chime in
We have similar mods so it should be interesting to see where you're at after the cam swap

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Cool
Yea let me know how the comp cam works out for you
I don't think we have a lot of results yet on 392 cams unless others can chime in
We have similar mods so it should be interesting to see where you're at after the cam swap
Will do. Im only doing a small cam though cus my 392 is a daily driver. The weird thing is whenever I talk to shops is they say theyve done cams in the 392s but where do these people exist? So you really never hear there experience. I guess im gonna be the first if everything goes well.
Check out my thread 'comp cam in my 392'

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How much would you charge to order and do the pistons on top of the supercharger ?

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I heard Cams are hard to tune...

...heard horror stories. Cars that Idle'd rough, weren't good daily drivers, shook like an out of balanced dryer, etc.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry I meant to direct the response to Steve white

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
...heard horror stories. Cars that Idle'd rough, weren't good daily drivers, shook like an out of balanced dryer, etc.
You need a good tuner. I talked with spankin time and they have 4 cammed hemis running like a dream.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392
1,536 Posts
Whether you do cam or sc its all in the tune. 392 can run 6-7 lbs on stock internals no problem with some beating on it if it is tuned properly. Same with a cam - Arrington has access to more tune tables than most so can do it best I'd say but a talented experienced tuner can work with a good cam even in the vvt platform and produce reliable well mannered results.
All in the tune these days...
If a cam is worth it or not depends on an individuals goals and budget. If you are wanting a badass NA setup that sounds mean and runs strong then a cam can put another 35 whp on top of your build and add validity to other mods (ported intake and heads for example) for $2500.
If your goal is to add 130 or so whp with FI then you can do that for just under $9000 out the door with a sc. Personally my budget and plans for my car only give me option A. Preferably I'd want to do a mild cam setup for a sc. Then do a ProCharger with drop in pistons at 8 lbs next year but I don't see that being within reach budget wise. So a big cam will likely be where mods end for me. May go back and rework a few other mods to get it dialed in and get several tunes for it setup with a wideband O2 and some email tunes.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From what I gather on this forum. As long as your not running the 1/4 mile hard you will be alright with 8lbs on the 382. but anything more than that you will need to drop in forged pistons.

I've heard mixed story's in general
Some run 8lbs boost no problem and others have had things break
I know if I run 6lbs on stock internals I'll want 8 eventually lol
I'm convinced if I go through with this that I need the forged pistons

1 - 20 of 21 Posts