Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Challenger with the Gen 3 5.7. I’m looking to replace the cam and lifters. Are there any aftermarket cams that can be paired with stock lifters? Any aftermarket lifter recommendations that pair with the factory cam?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Find Greene Racing on Facebook. He has an amazing selection of cams and can pair them with Hellcat lifters if you'd like. He will send you a full list, and you can ask him about recommendations for what you are looking for specifically :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Find Greene Racing on Facebook. He has an amazing selection of cams and can pair them with Hellcat lifters if you'd like. He will send you a full list, and you can ask him about recommendations for what you are looking for specifically :)
Thank you! I’ll look into it.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
No such thing as hellcat lifters. All non-MDS lifters are the same. You'll pay $5-600 for "hellcat lifters" only to realize you can buy the same lifters with a different name for almost half the price.

Reactions: theblaisez24

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if I want to delete mds, is it just a matter of getting non-mds lifters? Or is there more work involved? Would I need to get a non-mds camshaft also? Do you know of any lifters that are better than the stock one but also incorporate mds and go with stock cam

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
So if I want to delete mds, is it just a matter of getting non-mds lifters? Or is there more work involved? Would I need to get a non-mds camshaft also? Do you know of any lifters that are better than the stock one but also incorporate mds and go with stock cam
Why do you want MDS? Also, why do u wanna replace cam and lifters? For performance? Gotta know your goals and reasoning before I can give any advice

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a bad “lifter tick”. There is a misfire on my number 1 cylinder. I’ve had the spark plugs done, the coil packs done, and the fuel injectors. Still misfiring in number 1. Not looking for a performance upgrade per say, but if there’s an upgrade I can do that requires only lifters and cam and not springs and extra parts, I’m willing to. If not, I’ll just get a stock cam and stock lifters to replace the old parts. I’ve read a lot about the stock lifters crapping out a lot on the Gen 3 engine and wearing the cam down subsequently so I’d like to upgrade them if I can do so without having to upgrade the cam. I’ll replace the cam either way. Are there any benefits to the mds delete? My car is an automatic clearly lol.

I was under the impression that I have MDS already on that engine. I’m not 100% sure tho.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
I have a bad “lifter tick”. There is a misfire on my number 1 cylinder. I’ve had the spark plugs done, the coil packs done, and the fuel injectors. Still misfiring in number 1. Not looking for a performance upgrade per say, but if there’s an upgrade I can do that requires only lifters and cam and not springs and extra parts, I’m willing to. If not, I’ll just get a stock cam and stock lifters to replace the old parts. I’ve read a lot about the stock lifters crapping out a lot on the Gen 3 engine and wearing the cam down subsequently so I’d like to upgrade them if I can do so without having to upgrade the cam. I’ll replace the cam either way. Are there any benefits to the mds delete? My car is an automatic clearly lol.
My advice, get non-mds lifters, a non-MDS 392 cam, and the springs required are only $70 for all 16. You'll pick up very good gains ~30whp and it'll cost you nearly the same as it would to just put stock parts back in. And it will be more reliable without MDS. The car will even drive like stock until 4000rpm+ where you'll notice a big difference in top end power

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,497 Posts
Do you have part numbers by chance? Are there some mds plugs also?
How do we know you are not trying to gather information for the EPA to "go after" suppliers/contacts we have? Go to the dealer and see what parts are available from them for you.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
My advice, replace what is worn, and enjoy another 12 years.

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
5037379BC - cam
68277306AA - springs (16 required)
5038784AD - lifters
How do we know you are not trying to gather information for the EPA to "go after" suppliers/contacts we have? Go to the dealer and see what parts are available from them for you.
I doubt thats the case, even if it were, these are Mopar factory replacement parts we're talking about. Every part I've mentioned comes on stock vehicles from Mopar

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brother I’m just a guy trying to fix his car. Nothing more nothing less.

5037379BC - cam
68277306AA - springs (16 required)
5038784AD - lifters

I doubt thats the case, even if it were, these are Mopar factory replacement parts we're talking about. Every part I've mentioned comes on stock vehicles from Mopar
Thank you sir!!

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
if your '09 had the A5 (automatic) then you have MDS solenoids. The are plug blanks to fill the bores once the MDS solenoids are removed.

all M6 (manual) engines are built with non-MDS cam and omits the MDS solenoids

most of the aftermarket cams tend to not have MDS since tuning and building cam profiles to work with that have not been developed by aftermarket makers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts