851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've narrowed my aftermarket cam choice to:

HHP 266 Cam Package
The 392 cam
Mopar Scat Pack 2 Cam and upgraded valvetrain package
HHP 270 Cam Package
MMX 270 Custom Grind

Thoughts? I'm looking for a substantial horsepower increase and increased torque throughout the range (we all know the 5.7 has points where it wheezes a little), a higher redline, and with a little more focus on low-end grunt off the line since I intend this to be a street and strip car and occasional daily driver. I don't want a 274, I actually find it a little too lopey. Will be combining the cam and tune with full bolt ons (intake, exhaust, throttle body, everything) along with the necessary valvetrain, pushrod, and timing chain guide upgrades. If my goal is somewhere between 450-500 at the crank, will I have to port the heads at all?

Also, I've heard conflicting information, is the SP2 cam a 260 or 270?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,957 Posts
Reactions: PSM450

·
Registered
252 Posts
No you don’t have to dyno it. Just tune it....
Remember, the dyno helps to make adjustments in the computer tuning to maximize horse power gain from the cam by watching your fuel, air mixture, timing adjustments and torque curve in real time. Under a wide open throttle load. Without guessing, ummm, how much power did it make or lose.

·
Super Moderator
15,591 Posts
@ChallyTatum - great find with someone that place all three together of stock / OEM 5.7 cam / Comp 270 / OEM 392 cam.

and the graphic that shows how the 5.7 falls off in power (stock 5.7 cam) - yet all these posts about revving the stock 5.7 beyond 6K, which was pointless as the power falls off (and shown on the graphs) beyond 5.3K rpm

·
Super Moderator
15,591 Posts
Headers and a 6.4 intake should help gain some more ponies.
IMO, I'd get a take off 6.1 intake (there's a few places that sell them) - the 6.4 is an active intake and there's no provisions on 5.7s to move the flaps from short runner to long runner mode.

Plus the cast aluminum has better "curb appeal" vs. the industrial composite 5.7 / 392 intakes;)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,000 Posts
IMO, I'd get a take off 6.1 intake (there's a few places that sell them) - the 6.4 is an active intake and there's no provisions on 5.7s to move the flaps from short runner to long runner mode.

Plus the cast aluminum has better "curb appeal" vs. the industrial composite 5.7 / 392 intakes;)
Yes but lots of folks use an MSD switch to activate the runner valve. Although it looks like the PCM can be activated to control the valve as well through HP tuners but I have yet to see anyone wire one up to the PCM.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack Challenger
85 Posts
I'd have to find it but there's an interesting write up and video from R/T life on YouTube. A guy running a custom ground cam, and ported stock heads that runs high 11's.

I could be wrong but isn't there better cams for the 5.7 other than the 6.4 cam?

There's been guys that spin the 5.7 fairly high - above 6200 and as you will see from this interesting article

This Comp 273 cam offered an additional 100 horsepower at 6200 over the stock cam. This was on a otherwise stock 5.7 with SRT8 exhaust manifolds. Peak power of almost 450.

Combine that with a cleaned up intake.manifold, longtubes, and throttle body I believe you would be above 400whp out of the 6 speed.

On other forums guys had run the comp 270 and though these larger cams power curves are higher in the RPM range, we can still look at power differences throughout the curve.

There also is an article floating around of a guy who did a "mythbusters" approach to cammed 5.7 Hemis. He wanted to see if a "big cam" was in fact too big. He did a 392 cam, and a comp 274 I believe. The 274 made more even with not hitting its max RPM range.

If it were me I would look into a custom grind, or some sort if Comp Cam rather than the 6.4 cam. Just me - the fastest 5.7 Challengers I've seen all use some sort of custom grind or off the shelf Comp Cam.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've narrowed my aftermarket cam choice to:

HHP 266 Cam Package
The 392 cam
Mopar Scat Pack 2 Cam and upgraded valvetrain package
HHP 270 Cam Package
MMX 270 Custom Grind

Thoughts? I'm looking for a substantial horsepower increase and increased torque throughout the range (we all know the 5.7 has points where it wheezes a little), a higher redline, and with a little more focus on low-end grunt off the line since I intend this to be a street and strip car and occasional daily driver. I don't want a 274, I actually find it a little too lopey. Will be combining the cam and tune with full bolt ons (intake, exhaust, throttle body, everything) along with the necessary valvetrain, pushrod, and timing chain guide upgrades. If my goal is somewhere between 450-500 at the crank, will I have to port the heads at all?

Also, I've heard conflicting information, is the SP2 cam a 260 or 270?
If your goal is 450-500 crank power - read my last post and read the article attached to it. On stock heads, and stock SRT manifolds with a comp 273 (not the common 274) he made 450 and made 100hp more than the stock 5.7 cam at 6200 rpm.

Keep in mind the 6.4 cars pick up 20whp typically with longtubes vs the stock manifolds - so you add headers, a throttle body and possibly a cleaned up 392 manifold you'll be making more the 450 easy.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,000 Posts
Sure there are aftermarket cams that can deliver more power but the 6.4 is a great budget cam ($220) that does not require phase limiting/locking. Most aftermarket cams require a phase limiter/locker which puts them closer to $1000. I have posted some combos and HP numbers taken from customer builds at Arrington and A2Speed where there was a build that hit a +120 rwhp gain running a 270 cam, LT headers, and ported heads.

My original thread.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sure there are aftermarket cams that can deliver more power but the 6.4 is a great budget cam ($220) that does not require phase limiting/locking. Most aftermarket cams require a phase limiter/locker which puts them closer to $1000. I have posted some combos and HP numbers taken from customer builds at Arrington and A2Speed where there was a build that hit a +120 rwhp gain running a 270 cam, LT headers, and ported heads.

My original thread.
Awesome post! My only thing is if your going to rip into the engine, and it has any mileage why not do it right? Lifters, a better bigger cam, new valve springs, and upgrade rather than having to do it later.

It's all preference and not knocking anyone who's done it because it's a solid hot rod choice.

I believe most people would regret not doing a more beneficial cam after knowing they were just inside there working on it

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,000 Posts
Totally valid point, it is a lot of work to get the cam out and if a shop is doing the install might as well try to push out as much performance as possible. However aftermarket cams usually require a lifter swap on autos, which means heads need to come off so might as well have them worked on as well. I remember seeing a post by a member stating they spent $8k on an aftermarket cam install (I think it included LT headers) and for that price you are entering supercharger cost/install territory which will easily make more power. I have a SC and I must say the 6.2 (very similar to the 6.4 cam just more exhaust duration) did not disappoint at all and total install was <$1000 which I did myself during ball sweating weather. Could I eek out more power going with an aftermarket, yes but for me the OEM cam seemed the best bang for your buck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Totally valid point, it is a lot of work to get the cam out and if a shop is doing the install might as well try to push out as much performance as possible. However aftermarket cams usually require a lifter swap on autos, which means heads need to come off so might as well have them worked on as well. I remember seeing a post by a member stating they spent $8k on an aftermarket cam install (I think it included LT headers) and for that price you are entering supercharger cost/install territory which will easily make more power. I have a SC and I must say the 6.2 (very similar to the 6.4 cam just more exhaust duration) did not disappoint at all and total install was <$1000 which I did myself during ball sweating weather. Could I eek out more power going with an aftermarket, yes but for me the OEM cam seemed the best bang for your buck.
Totally the 392 cam in a 5.7 is a great choice for keeping cost as low as possible for changing cams.

I will say if someone paid 8k to get a cam done - they paid WAYYYYYY too much.

I talked to 2 hemi shops - both quoted me 2100 for install and a tune. I would have my own cam, lifters and limiter. I have a 392 A8, and this was to do a MMX NSR stage 3 cam. So I'd be in it around 3k.

I wonder if MMX has NSR cams for a 5.7? No spring change, and if the car is relatively low miles he could reuse some of his lifters, and only replace the MDS lifters.

In reality if you look at 2100 install and tune, your only saving a few hundred bucks. Both shops also quoted me no additional cost to install headers, as they'd bolt them on the heads during reassembly - and shop A. Quoted me 250 for valve springs. Shop B. Quoted me 400 to do valvesprings.

In the end you have a point it adds cost.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts