Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy smokes, ok so I just got a quote back for a cam install. I knew it wasnt going to be cheap but wow. I was quoted for the following
Comp Cam 270 with VVT phase limiter 768.00
Hellcat Lifters 479.00
Push Rods 135.00
Valve Springs 500.00
Head Gasket 235.00
Oil and Filter 60.00
Install 1,900.00
Tune 1,000.00

Total 5077.00

Does this sound right to you all? The place thats doing it is very reputable. I will gladly do it if thats the going rate, but it seems high by im thinking 1000.00
Just wanted input before i pull the trigger. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
$3000 is labor and a tune. Last cam I installed myself (solid roller on a 68 Mopar 340) was well over $1000 in parts.

Your cost may be a little high but I don't see it coming down $1,000. What's the labor rate?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
$3000 to install and tune a cam in a pushrod motor. I could see it in a DOHC motor but come on. That's ridiculous and you would have to be high to do it just because you think that's the going price.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
$3000 to install and tune a cam in a pushrod motor. I could see it in a DOHC motor but come on. That's ridiculous and you would have to be high to do it just because you think that's the going price.
I don't think the $1900 labor is completely out of line. Most shops are around $100 an hour.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Arrington in Martinsville did my cam install some yrs ago for under $2000 including all parts and tuning. Not sure if Arrington is even around as they were bought out a few yrs ago. My cam was not as aggressive as the comp cam 270v, but my factory springs and push rods were reused. i was considering upgrading to the 270v but if thats the $$$ amount, I may leave it be and do a 3000 stall converter.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,268 Posts
When you start swapping lifters labor time increases as the intake manifold along with the heads have to come off. If the heads are coming off might as well install LT headers as well (if you have not already) since it is way easier to install headers with the heads pulled then with them on the engine. FWIW Chilton's estimates ~12 regular hours for a camshaft replacement but not sure if that assumes the lifters are being replaced as well?

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just did a Cam install in my Scat Pack this past week. The Cam is easy to do. The heads and lifters are a completely different animal and take up all the time. Total cost rundown for the Cam is as follows:

Jay Greene Cam, springs, locker, shims, forged pushrods, and retainers - $1550
Stainless Works LongTube Headers - $1200
Ceramic Coating on Headers - $300
Gaskets for heads, headers, timing plate cover, Cylinder head covers - $250
ATI 15% Underdrive Pulley - $380
ARP Head Studs - $385
Johnson Hylift slow bleed Lifters - $450
Secondary set of Apache Heads - $800
Machining of Apache Heads (valves seats, deck) - $300
Fluids (Oil change, Coolant, Assembly Fluid) - $150
Jay Greene Tune - $375

I ported and cleaned up a secondary set of Apache heads. I also had the deck planed and valve seats checked after I ported them. I installed everything myself over a 5 day period (outside and in the sun). Overall I was greatly satisfied with the cost of the cam and the gains from it. My cost was $6100 total for everything, but I paid extra for the Underdrive pulley, Head Studs, Apache Heads, and Headers. Exclude these and the cost comes down to $3150. Do the installation yourself and it's much more cost effective compared to a supercharger. No dyno results yet since we are still going through the tune, but perhaps this fall I'll see what gains I have gotten.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I don't think the $1900 labor is completely out of line. Most shops are around $100 an hour.
So you’re saying it takes 19 hours to do a cam swap by someone who knows what they are doing?

Besides that $1000 for a tune is a joke unless you have some super unusual combo that takes a ton of dyno time to get dialed in. What the OP is talking about should be nailed down from the get go and maybe have one or two pulls to really fine tune it.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
So you’re saying it takes 19 hours to do a cam swap by someone who knows what they are doing?

Besides that $1000 for a tune is a joke unless you have some super unusual combo that takes a ton of dyno time to get dialed in. What the OP is talking about should be nailed down from the get go and maybe have one or two pulls to really fine tune it.
Book time. You have over 5 hours book time to R/I the bumper, radiator and condenser plus another 1.5 to 3 hours to Evan and recharge the as depending on the year (r134 vs r1234yf).

What you or I could do it in is irrelevant.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah, that's not just a "cam install". He's got heads off, valve springs, lifters and cam. They are stripping that down to a short block and putting it back together.

·
Vendor
12,919 Posts
approx 14 hours to replace cam, labor is high by about 400/500 dollars, tuning cost is also high, typical is 500 to 700, depending, the cylinders have to come off, this is not for the faint of heart.......

·
Vendor
12,919 Posts
270 cam in a 5.7 with headers and high flow cats will deliver approx 55 to 65 wheel horsepower, Magnuson at 6 psi will deliver approx 100/110 wheel horsepower.....no brainer:cool:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
270 cam in a 5.7 with headers and high flow cats will deliver approx 55 to 65 wheel horsepower, Magnuson at 6 psi will deliver approx 100/110 wheel horsepower.....no brainer:cool:
If I remember correctly wasn't there a Magnuson that would work with the Shaker? What kind of reliability have you seen with the 6.4 and low boost?

·
Vendor
12,919 Posts
If I remember correctly wasn't there a Magnuson that would work with the Shaker? What kind of reliability have you seen with the 6.4 and low boost?
yes and no, not from Magnuson, however we have custom designed a bracket, 319.00 and you will need a 1 tbi spacer for clearance

reliability is a concern on a 6.4, would not recommend anything more then 7 psi, and would even go to 6 psi for complete safety, tuning is a major issue, must be tuned well, or landring failure will occur

·
Registered
31 Posts
yes and no, not from Magnuson, however we have custom designed a bracket, 319.00 and you will need a 1 tbi spacer for clearance

reliability is a concern on a 6.4, would not recommend anything more then 7 psi, and would even go to 6 psi for complete safety, tuning is a major issue, must be tuned well, or landring failure will occur
For the 5.7L shaker engine. You make brackets that will allow the supercharger to fit with the shaker? Or is that removing the shaker and replacing it with the supercharger?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts