Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm getting the parts together to do a cam install on my 2016 5.7. Since it's an auto, the heads are coming off for lifters and stuff. One of my mechanic buddies is strongly recommending that I purchase ARP head studs rather than use the Mopar head bolts that I recently bought new.

Do you guys think it's worth spending the extra couple hundred to get the ARP head studs? After the cam I don't really plan to go too much further with the car if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If you don’t plan on pulling the heads often or running boost the Mopar replacement bolts are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
495 Posts
Ive pulled heads 3 times since my cam and I use the engine tech head bolts at $15 a pack. Still way cheaper than the head studs and ik some shops that recommend not using arp head studs because they'd rather the weak point be the head lifting and causing a gasket leak over a hole in the side of the block.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Why not go with ARP head bolts? They are priced less than the studs, but the torque specs are straight up and no need for a torque degree wheel.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
495 Posts
Here's another way of looking at it. I've never once heard of a stock 5.7 lifting the heads boosted or N/A. Pistons will go way before that can ever happen and even that takes a fair amount of boost. Those big 10.9 bolts do a great job and these engines also use the 5 smaller 10mm bolts for even more clamping force unlike some other engines.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The ARP will allow more clamping force and if you plan on having the heads off more than once then the ARP is better. Who want to run out and replace head bolts everytime the heads come off, not me. The studs would create an issue about pulling the heads off in the car. Youd have to pull the engine to do it. Its a double edge sword. Has good points and bad, just all depends on your preference. Lots of nitrous or boost and id recommend them, stockish has no need for them.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
495 Posts
The ARP will allow more clamping force and if you plan on having the heads off more than once then the ARP is better. Who want to run out and replace head bolts everytime the heads come off, not me. The studs would create an issue about pulling the heads off in the car. Youd have to pull the engine to do it. Its a double edge sword. Has good points and bad, just all depends on your preference. Lots of nitrous or boost and id recommend them, stockish has no need for them.
Not enough room to pull em off in the engine bay with studs?

·
Registered
640 Posts
No, hell the valve cover on the pass side is bad enough. Install studs and youll never have enough room to get the heads off. ARP studs are not recommended to keep taking them in and out. Once installed thats usually where they stay. You only pull the nuts and washers off.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
495 Posts
Haha tell me about that passenger side. Between the rocker bolt catching the gasket and the wiring harness, dipstick in the way. When I did headers the passenger side took 90% of the time.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have Lt's and aftermarket vc's. When i did my engine swap i put the headers on with engine mounted to the cradle then put cradle assembly in. Valve covers got changed later. Pulled dipstick tube and moved everything on the pass side and still give me a hard time. Aftermarket covers are taller then stock too. Started the 3 bottom bolts tward the back from under the car then tightened from top. Drivers side is 15 min job with ac line undone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts